Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow internet - pc problem

Options
  • 22-07-2018 5:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi just been speaking to my mum in the UK who has been complaining about the speed of her internet.

she's gotten a new router and the company has ran a speed test and all seems fine on their end.

before she goes out and buys a new pc, what can I do to either clean it / speed it up.
    it's 8 years old but is probably only used to surf the internet.
    I'm over with her in the next week or so and would love to give her some help on this.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

slow internet is a bit vague.

get your mum to run a speed check on her pc to see how fast a connection she is getting. i assume you will have a laptop of your own and can check it from that too. If you have time you can use team viewer to remote to her pc and assess for yourself.

here is a good guide with simple steps for clean up, and suspend auto running programmes, checking browser for bloatware etc & its for win 7.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228570/10-quick-ways-to-speed-up-a-slow-windows-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

get her to do a speed check on her mobile as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If she is connecting to the internet using wireless (not ethernet cable) then that is likely the problem.

Is it possible to connect her PC using ethernet cable and do a speed check?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for the advice everyone. did a full disk clean and uninstalled a few programs.
    some I couldnt uninstall so I disabled them.
    everything seems to be working much better now.
    cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement