Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava issue on calories count

Options
  • 22-07-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Anyone else experience this issue ?

My Garmin 500 usually shows a ridiculously high level of calories expended for any rides I do, plus the elevation is often overstated - I upload the data to Strava which usually corrects it to realistic values, but today after initially giving me a Strava calories number, it has now reverted to the value on my Garmin.

So I decided to check back on a few recent rides, and as I opened each one, the calories field adjusted upwards to the totally overstated Garmin value - I don't fixate on calories expended other than to compare rides with either long distances or high climbing numbers, and also in hotter temps just to see the comparisons

I'm more concerned that if the calories number cannot be trusted, what other Strava numbers are potentially dicky as well ??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jrar wrote: »
    ...I'm more concerned that if the calories number cannot be trusted, what other Strava numbers are potentially dicky as well ??
    I'd take calorie counts with a pinch of salt. Garmin can't factor in wind speed so if you have a serious tailwind, it just assumes you are burning more calories even if you are making little effort. Similarly, you could be burning a lot fighting a strong headwind yet the Garmin will think you're not making any effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw, i've always found garmin to estimate lower than strava*. I use a garmin watch with Heart Rate Monitor. I track my weight in Connect, so that's synced with my weight whenever I update it. Even using heart rate, it's an estimate, and also dependent on the zones you basically set yourself with max heart rate and resting heart rate.

*I now have an elemnt bolt, and I find the bolt is lower for shorter rides, garmin lower for the longer spins and races.

Garmin, Strava and Bolt all overstate compared to my power output of my power meter, which I use now I have one on the road (TrainerRoad uploads always used output). It's still not 100% accurate, as doesn't take into account efficiency, but I think it's the best estimate I can get on the road bike. I'd be less convinced off road - say downhills on trails would be showing zero power output, when you'd be working the body/ core more, even if not putting anything out on the pedals.

Yes, I probably am a bit obsessive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm more concerned that if the calories number cannot be trusted, what other Strava numbers are potentially dicky as well ??
    calories are an estimate. other strava numbers are an actual measurement, albeit with different margins for error.
    time and distance (assuming distance is measured by GPS) are going to be accurate enough that worrying about accuracy is a lost cause. elevation with GPS is more prone to error, and you'll probably see this on some some segments, but generally you'll get by with the measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

i think the calories will be closely linked to the amount of climbing so if it's overestimating the climbing it will over estimate the calories. you may need to try a factory reset to get the altimeter working properly again, or get a replacement Garmin if that fails (i've had to do this twice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're working with GPS elevation (erratic) then Strava will correct to its models based on 1000s of rides to give an always close but never perfect reading. If you've got a barometric altimeter that data is used which should be more accurate but if its off its off and is taken as accurate. Its up to you to calibrate it properly.

TBH strava is very generous is its calorie counts. Don't reward yourself based on them.

as mentioned in the other thread - strava recently estimated 450 calories or thereabouts for me, on my 19.5km commute with just over 100m climbing, about 27km/h average.
    yesterday my garmin estimated 250 or 260 calories, 56km, 250m of climbing, at 31.5km/h.

the truth is somewhere in the middle. online calculators seem to assume that for a 75kg adult, about 600-700 calories per hour based on cycling at about 25km/h or above. i'd take that estimation with a pinch of salt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Anyone else experience this issue ?

My Garmin 500 usually shows a ridiculously high level of calories expended for any rides I do, plus the elevation is often overstated - I upload the data to Strava which usually corrects it to realistic values, but today after initially giving me a Strava calories number, it has now reverted to the value on my Garmin.

So I decided to check back on a few recent rides, and as I opened each one, the calories field adjusted upwards to the totally overstated Garmin value - I don't fixate on calories expended other than to compare rides with either long distances or high climbing numbers, and also in hotter temps just to see the comparisons

yeah noticed the same for my last couple of rides
    prob double what is usually calculates, i never trusted the Garmin figs now the Strava ones look dodgey as well

i did 50km, 500m climbing this evening, 29.5km/h. recorded with a cheapo garmin, no HR monitor, and it's claiming 222 calories burned.
    spotted a boardsie who did two and a half times that distance, with a bit over two and a half times the climbing - and it's claiming over 5,000 calories burned.
    i'm beginning to suspect they just use a random number generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

from Strava

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917097-Calorie-Calculation

noticed that if your data sent doesn't include calories, strava will then do their own, (which is prob a lot better then Garmins)

so is their a way to prevent the Garmin calorie data being sent with the .fit file when synching ?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stuff like calories (whether its from Strava or Garmin) is real finger in the air stuff, like their estimated power. I would really bother with either.

Advertisement