Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscotti

Options
  • 22-07-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I've made several biscotti recipes but I'm still trying to find the perfect chewy texture. I made some yesterday but they had a 'cake-ish' quality. I want those lovely chewy ones filled with fruit and nuts.
    Anyone got the perfect, foolproof recipe ?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Biscotti are supposed to be crunchy because they're baked twice: first in logs, then they get taken out of the oven and sliced, then they get put back in the oven to dry. Traditionally they are dunked into a particular type of wine and then eaten. Either you got stale ones, or you got a batch that didn't go back into the oven. Now, this is provided we're talking about the same thing. Would you mind posting a picture of the ones you had in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I've made different ones and messed around with various recipes but I really want a foolproof recipe that consistently produces biscotti with a more chewy texture than the ones I made from this recipe. It was the texture I didn't like, they were 'cake-like' more than biscuity if that makes sense.
    http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Videos/Biscotti%20Video.htm.

The ones in the pic here look more like the ones I mean
    8a4095f6-7d7e-4f3c-894c-8c55f9bccffa.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try and look for a recipe for "Cantucci", and only bake them once, or the second time just bake them very little. It should work.

I must say I never had them chewy, cantucci/biscotti to me have always been very crunchy and rock hard, not "cakey" at all.

Thanks a million, I'll give that a go over the weekend. Cheers

UPDATE:
    I made these ones and they were spot on - thanks a million. I think it's the fact they had no butter that made the difference. I added some dried fruit too.
    That's my new basic recipe, I can add fruit/nuts or whatever . Cheers

https://mumsandkidsmadrid.com/2014/06/25/cantuccini/

• Advertisement

Glad it worked out ok. :)

Advertisement