Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best thing about where you live?

• 22-07-2018 9:49pm

So, I'm am out of Ireland for a while, there's lots of differences, cultural societal blah blah blah etc

But, the very best thing about here, for me, is, coffee is 50cent, bottle of beer is 1 Euro & they let of fireworks ALL THE TIME! !!!
    They love fireworks here, can buy them & they do, all the time, & they let them off all the time!
    Maybe its the novelty factor for me but I love sitting on the balcony, looking over the city watching fireworks, every night ðŸ˜

So, after hours, what's the very best thing about where you live?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

After Hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Milder weather, as its a mature estate I live in most, reliable broadband/esb/phone.
    Ability to line dry everything potentially and what was designed at kids bedrooms that I can now hang damp laundry in.

I miss home tho.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'm in Ireland and I get to associate with people with best sense of humour in the world, don't get it anywhere else.
    Let's just call it the craic.

I'm in part of Dublin where city becomes countryside so I have loads of parks close by and the city close by too.

Sure we have our problems but so does everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

After electro-shock treatment, the nurses let us have ice-cream.
    I like ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

No neighbours and miles of countrysife, getting up to all sorts of things with no one to complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I suppose it's the white vans going round abducting kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A great community yet rural with room to breath. Easy trip to town and easy motorway access. Good infrastructure. Fresh air and glorious countryside teeming with nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

There's no soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The off licence/ice cream shop is two minutes walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I live within the canals in Dublin.

Ordinary house in a mature (very) area. No noise no parties no kids, it is my paradise. My back garden looks over playing fields toward the Dublin Mountains it is picture postcard.

Now having said all that, I will be doomed I am sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

The lack of noise and artificial lights at night. It's amazing. Nearly makes up for the fact that I play "Dodge the sheep wandering round the road" every morning before I've had coffee..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The woman across the street has a great set of norks. That's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

The road out of it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Virgin Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

No noise, fresh air, nice scenery.

It's where my couch is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’ll take a GDPR opt out on that one, op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I'm in a very rural area of Co Limerick, no noise, no neighbours within half a mile, rolling hills and fields to be seen from every window in the house, bird-song in the morning is the only noise to be heard, yes it's three miles to a village on either direction but having grown up here I know to have bought the pint of milk or loaf of bread on the way home in the evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

It's very quiet at night and there is no street lighting. Great sleeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Solitude .. silence.. privacy.. protected from intrusion by a chancy ocean..and sheer beauty..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

First class public transport, nice weather, BBQ every evening and cheap quality beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Being quite honest,the road out,my part of lovely carrigaline is not nice, nearly said sinkhole,hassle,gardai,drink parties ,etc,etc,oh nearly forgot the 4/5 nearby dogs who are left Joel and bark to their hearts content,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's very quiet at night and there is no street lighting. Great sleeps.
    Lucky duck

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Parks close by, I live beside a lake with ducks and they are ones that don't quack. Respectful ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

Bray Seafront

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Great public transport. Friendly, non-nosy neighbours. No all-day car alarms wailing, and no dogs barking all night long. Hot weather, broken up by frequent thunderstorms. Actual seasons! Distinct lack of junkies in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm in North County Dublin. Less than 5 minutes from my door I can be in the Louth or Meath countryside or I can pick from any number of lovely beaches. Access to Dublin city is brilliant with the motorway, old Dublin road, bus and rail. If I want to do some decent shopping I can pick between Swords or Drogheda with its numerous retail parks.

I'm close to wonderful countryside yet 35 minutes from Dublin on a good run into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Neighbours are all friendly, everyone kicks the kids out in the afternoon and they all play together on the green outside till dinnertime. School is a five minute walk away around the corner. Everything I need is a stone's throw away. The place is very safe, aside from the odd opportunistic burglary there's no real crime. Public transport is decent, town is 25 minute by bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Apart from my own presence the best things about my area are the location, infrastructure, amenities and the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I gonna die soon so I don't have to endure the horrors of finglas for much longer. Every cloud

jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

It's not Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The schools and shops are within walking distance, I rarely have to go into the city for anything. There are some beautiful walks with stunning views of the sea, and I love being able to hear the sea at night. There is a lot going on for kids over the summer which is great when you have a little one whose siblings are considerably older. If I could move from the estate I am on to a house on it's own grounds with no neighbours it would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The view, for some reason I have some superb view out the front. Kids can play outside on the big green without anyone giving a toss. It's quiet. You still have people around but you're not on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

They made an outdoor natural swimming area for local people to swim and it has lifeguards in the summer...really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I get to look at the glistening beauty of the Petronas towers from my bed, while brushing my teeth and basically any time I want to see their sparkliness.

I get to swim in an infinity pool, work out in a private gym, grab a cuppa and a sandwich from O'Briens and have a wee shop that sells pretty much everything you could need, all without leaving my building

When I do leave my building I can walk 2 minutes in one direction and I am in the midst of the colours and flavours of little India. Another few minutes and am at the central train station and a great shopping mall.

Go the other direction and 10 mins walking has me in Chinatown to bargain Hunt and get amazing massages.

Another few minutes walking has me at a world famous food street and a pulsating, vibrant Asian capital city full of top class shopping, delicious food and a thriving nightlife.

All in usually good weather amongst friendly people who get my Irish sense of humour.

Kuala Lumpur is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The best thing about living in Drimnagh is the abundance of air that I like breathing. Also how the locals leave small parts of the path free of dog dirt so you can walk on them. Also the fact that its not Beirut is also a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Best thing about my where I live is that my daughter lives there,
    Nothing like waking up and seeing her little face every day ,
    I suppose the missus isn't to bad either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The woman across the street has a great set of norks. That's about it.

Pics or gtfo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There is genuinely nothing good about where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There is genuinely nothing good about where I live.

You have Mr. Price down there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

The long beaches on my doorstep
    Perfect for dogging............walking, i meant walking
    Bleeding autocorrect!!

Witchie wrote: »
    I get to look at the glistening beauty of the Petronas towers from my bed, while brushing my teeth and basically any time I want to see their sparkliness.

I get to swim in an infinity pool, work out in a private gym, grab a cuppa and a sandwich from O'Briens and have a wee shop that sells pretty much everything you could need, all without leaving my building

When I do leave my building I can walk 2 minutes in one direction and I am in the midst of the colours and flavours of little India. Another few minutes and am at the central train station and a great shopping mall.

Go the other direction and 10 mins walking has me in Chinatown to bargain Hunt and get amazing massages.

Another few minutes walking has me at a world famous food street and a pulsating, vibrant Asian capital city full of top class shopping, delicious food and a thriving nightlife.

All in usually good weather amongst friendly people who get my Irish sense of humour.

Kuala Lumpur is amazing.

And you can eat durian yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

And you can eat durian yeah?

Haven't been brave enough to try it coz the smell is horrendous

Witchie wrote: »
    Haven't been brave enough to try it coz the smell is horrendous

Don't bother, it tastes nearly as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

- Low tax
    - No CGT in many circumstances
    - Wealth/asset accumulation not heavily punished through taxation
    - Sustainable rental market
    - Fantastic and cheap public transport
    - Low crime
    - Great place to bring up kids (if I have them)
    - Great career opportunities in the industry I’m in
    - I’m 25 minutes from the city center by public transport but only a 15 minute walk to be in the countryside
    - Lovely view of the nearby hills, I can just about see two other countries from my balcony
    - Great weather 5 months of the year
    - Very international despite being a small city

Some downsides too obviously but overall I don’t see myself returning to Dublin anytime soon, despite how much I enjoyed living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Why when people were asked the best thing, do they list off more than 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Try_harder wrote: »
    Why when people were asked the best thing, do they list off more than 1?
    For me, I found it hard to pick just one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

A modest but nice house coupled with good neighbours. Nice local pub within walking distance. Quiet place generally. I used to live beside neighbours where domestic violence was rife so peaceful nights in our house are definitely not taken for granted.

Advertisement