Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Qashqai +2?

• 22-07-2018 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I have an old petrol c-max. Need to change it asap. I only drive 8k a year. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Most of the time, it's only 1 adult and 3 kids in the car.

I'm looking for a change so I'm thinking of a Qashqui +2, around 2013. Budget 10 to 14k. Or something similar.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-qashqai-2-2013-360-spec-sat-nav/19159390

Problem is most 2013/4 are diesel, around 100k on the clock. My mechanic says not to buy a diesel 5years or more, so I'm a bit stumped.

Is 100k on the clock ok for a 2013/4 diesel?
    What questions should I ask?
    Is there any other cars I could be looking at? I like something high up. Preferably SUV type.

Thanks
    Pix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you actually need the 3rd row of seats?

Suzuki Vitara is available in petrol:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2067838&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D85%26o%5B%5D%3D714%26f%3D1%26g%3D0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Thanks!
    No, I don't need a third row. It would come in handy though.

Never thought of a Suzuki. It looks good, and petrol. A friend of mine used to have one and said it could be very light in a crosswind. So it just put me off.

The 3rd row of seats in the Qashqai+2 are really only for occasional use anyway and I wouldn't be trying to put adults in them either. If a regular Qashqai is sufficient then the newer generation petrol model is within the top end of your budget:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2045682&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D61%26o%5B%5D%3D1145%26f%3D1%26yn%3D2013%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Thanks a mill. I'm looking at the 1.2 petrol as well now :)

Does the 1.2 petrol got enough boot for the car? 1.2 sounds like its not enough. I have to do trips down the motorway every month.

Also, does anyone know if any Kia would be comparable or better?

The 1.2 has a turbo meaning it's more powerful than the 1.6 in the older Qashqai. Kia do a Sportage but petrol versions are as rare as hen's teeth and tend to be outside your budget.

• Advertisement

I should have asked this first..but are the Qashqui a good car for 3 kids in the back, and in general?

I think I need to start including other car makes, as the pickings aren't great.

Has anyone any other suggestions? It would be much appreciated. I was driving the c-max for years and am just looking for a reliable change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I’m guessing it’s because of dpf issues, the mechanic is advising against diesels. A lot of them rolled out adblue in 13/14 onwards so don’t know if this any impact on reliability ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

1.2 petrol Qashqai is a pokey little thing, no issues with it at all.

We've decided to up the budget for a 1.2 petrol, budget now up to 17,000.

I'm looking for a 1.2, with panoramic roof, preferably with cameras, sat nav etc.. Preferably white, no black or red colour. preferably 2015.

It's a bit difficult to find one with a panoramic roof. And it's non-negotiable. I'm thinking of heading up North or maybe the U.K.

Does anyone know any dealers? Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

cargiant.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Pixied wrote: »

I'm looking for a 1.2, with panoramic roof, preferably with cameras, sat nav etc.. Preferably white, no black or red colour. preferably 2015.

It's a bit difficult to find one with a panoramic roof. And it's non-negotiable. I'm thinking of heading up North or maybe the U.K.

Older model Quashqai wasn't offering more space than a compact HB(Golf, astra, etc) except higher seating position and I find the new model similar or less depending on where you sit in the car.

Unless you set your heart to a compact SUV, MPVs are great with 3 kids functionality wise and most of them have three separate seats at rear.

If you want a SUV, I guess Renault Kadjar (it is a Quashqai underneath with a different body design) offers more interior/boot space due to design of seats and body. It has the same 1.2 lt engine.

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6SrHusXMEg

kerten wrote: »
    Older model Quashqai wasn't offering more space than a compact HB(Golf, astra, etc) except higher seating position and I find the new model similar or less depending on where you sit in the car.

Unless you set your heart to a compact SUV, MPVs are great with 3 kids functionality wise and most of them have three separate seats at rear.

If you want a SUV, I guess Renault Kadjar (it is a Quashqai underneath with a different body design) offers more interior/boot space due to design of seats and body. It has the same 1.2 lt engine.

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6SrHusXMEg

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. I'm open to other makes.

The Kadjar seems a bit more expensive than it's equivalent Qashqui.
    Will they hold the value the same?
    Also, I do fairly low mileage and I can't see a petrol version.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. I'm open to other makes.

The Kadjar seems a bit more expensive than it's equivalent Qashqui.
    Will they hold the value the same?
    Also, I do fairly low mileage and I can't see a petrol version.

Not sure about residual values of those models.

It seems to be petrol kadjars came to market in late 2015 and there are not many in market even in UK.

See the links below

Autotrader UK petrol Kadjars

A Petrol Kadjar in Belfast

Thanks again. I'm going to have a look at those links now.

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Nissan-Qashqai-1-2-DiG-T-Acenta-Premium-5dr-215924296?keywords=&make=20&model=2265920&fuel_type=1&trans_type=1&age_from=2014&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&search_type=1&car_class=

Great. Thanks a mill. It looks well.

My husband has showed my this. I know nothing about Kias.

https://www.downeys.co.uk/used-cars/kia-sportage-16-gdi-2-5dr-isg/4484/

Would this be a comparable option?

I asked them about the tax bracket and they're going to get back to me. It's petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Are you looking for a Qashqai + 2 or a Qashqai - same name (virtually) but very different size cars. The newer model of the Qashqai + 2 is the X-trail (out in 2014) and a different size car. They split it from the Qashqai brand deliberately. 
    My wife has a 2013 Q+2 - dont use the 3rd row of seats but we bought because it has a big boot (much bigger than the sportage, tiguan, ix35, qashqai), lots of rear room for the kids. Bought a 1.6 Start Stop diesel in the uk and it has close to 100k on it now. Running perfectly for the last 30k in over two years nothing outside normal servicing and returns 45+ mpg combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

3 kids? What ages are they?

Blazer wrote: »
    3 kids? What ages are they?

The kids are 7,8 and 11

• Advertisement

My husband has showed my this. I know nothing about Kias.

https://www.downeys.co.uk/used-cars/kia-sportage-16-gdi-2-5dr-isg/4484/

Would this be a comparable option?

I asked them about the tax bracket and they're going to get back to me. It's petrol.

Kia Sportage and Hyuindai IX35 are pretty much same car with different skin. They are fine reliable cars.

Can't you find one with 1.7 diesel engine if tax is a concern? They should be common. Something like below maybe :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805226749679

I'm concerned about my low mileage.
    I'm concerned about room for 3 kids and boot space.
    After that I would like to have lower tax.

It would make my choice easier to buy a diesel. I do around 8-10k kms per year.

Have to admit it is tricky buying.

I also started looking at the Kadjar but there is limited choice out there in petrol, let alone those that might have parking sensors, sunroof etc..

The petrol Sportage is only €390 to tax versus €280 for the diesel so not very much of a difference really. You will probably need to factor in the cost of a new clutch on the diesel too as they are made of chocolate.

Kadjar, sportage, ix35 and qasqai are all too small for a family of 3 kids unless you put a massive roof box on the car imo.
    You should be looking at 7 seaters that have a big boot with the back row folded down. x-trail (and older Q+2), Skoda Kodiaq, Peugoet 5008 etc.

Thanks.

I think the x-trail is probably the nearest in budget.

This is a bit over..
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-x-trail-2014-7-seater-pan-roof-/19340177

Should I be as concerned as I am about buying diesel? The mechanic scared me off. This is limiting my choice.

Thanks.

This is a bit over..
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-x-trail-2014-7-seater-pan-roof-/19340177

Should I be as concerned as I am about buying diesel? The mechanic scared me off. This is limiting my choice.

At 8000 km per annum I would say you’re not doing enough driving to warrant a diesel car. You’d only cause yourself grief clogging up the dpf. Diesel engines need to be driven to keep them working efficiently.
    At that type of annual mileage look at petrol or even electric/hybrid.

You’ve a very definite list of requirements, which will make it difficult to find something suitable. I think you need to rethink what’s necessary and what’s nice to have and go from there.

TheShow wrote: »
    You’ve a very definite list of requirements, which will make it difficult to find something suitable. I think you need to rethink what’s necessary and what’s nice to have and go from there.

Thanks, I will.

Most of the regular MPV are diesel too. I'm just tired of driving that type of car. I think I might just end up with a diesel, of some sort, at this rate.

• Advertisement

I'm concerned about my low mileage.
    I'm concerned about room for 3 kids and boot space.
    After that I would like to have lower tax.

It would make my choice easier to buy a diesel. I do around 8-10k kms per year.

Have to admit it is tricky buying.

I also started looking at the Kadjar but there is limited choice out there in petrol, let alone those that might have parking sensors, sunroof etc..

Forgot about the low mileage.

What about hybrid Mitusbishi outlanders ?
    petrol, reliable suv with big boot.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=bt412ar&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=MITSUBISHI&model=OUTLANDER&maximum-mileage=40000&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&transmission=Automatic&exclude-writeoff-categories=on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭dee75

kerten wrote: »

And buying a hybrid from N.I. you will have reduced VRT to pay. So it could make it an affordable option.

Also looking at Outlander and we have 3 kids so I'm happy they would fit.

TheShow wrote: »
    Thanks.

This is a bit over..

At 8000 km per annum I would say you’re not doing enough driving to warrant a diesel car.  You’d only cause yourself grief clogging up the dpf.   Diesel engines need to be driven to keep them working efficiently.
    At that type of annual mileage look at petrol or even electric/hybrid.
    DPFs get clogged from lots of short journeys not low annual mileage. If you drive 5k a year but each journey is a minimum 30min commute there is no problem.
    People have an obsession on boards that you shouldnt drive a diesel unless you hit a magic annual mileage threshold of around 25k kms a year. While this has merit the key things to consider with diesels are:
    1. Type of driving - lots of city/short spins wont be good for the dpf and other emission management systems on the car. Your mpg will be crap also
    2. The maintenance involved in diesels is greater than equivalent petrols, DPFs, flywheels etc. that cost to repair/replace.
    Personally I would be happy to drive a diesel at 10k kms a year annual mileage, low tax, decent enough mpg and provided you mind her with regular longer journeys (give her a good hard drive) and maintain well you should have no problems.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    DPFs get clogged from lots of short journeys not low annual mileage. If you drive 5k a year but each journey is a minimum 30min commute there is no problem.
    People have an obsession on boards that you shouldnt drive a diesel unless you hit a magic annual mileage threshold of around 25k kms a year. While this has merit the key things to consider with diesels are:
    1. Type of driving - lots of city/short spins wont be good for the dpf and other emission management systems on the car. Your mpg will be crap also
    2. The maintenance involved in diesels is greater than equivalent petrols, DPFs, flywheels etc. that cost to repair/replace.
    Personally I would be happy to drive a diesel at 10k kms a year annual mileage, low tax, decent enough mpg and provided you mind her with regular longer journeys (give her a good hard drive) and maintain well you should have no problems.

Fair point tbh, but the impression that I got suggests short hop trips rather than long distance. 8000km pa / 3 kids in tow & you wouldn't want to be going too far with 3 noisy kids in the back unless you can gaffer tape their mouths shut!!

Yeap, it's mainly short hop journeys. No gaffer tape- YET! :D

Twice a month back and forth down the country.

I went looking at Qashqui's today, lovely cars, but the middle back seat is questionable. X-trails were good too, but not sure the budget can stretch to that.

The middle seat in the Sportage looked maybe a little bit better, but no one around to talk to.

Just a little update.

I've test driven some cars and the Kia Sportage is coming out on top for me. The leather option is great and there seems to be a little bit more foot room in the back row. Boot also seems bigger. Lovely to drive. I'm also now coming to terms with buying as diesel. The husband commutes so he said he can spin it out once or twice a week.

So I'm looking for a 2015 with leather seats, sunroof, parking sensor. I'm starting to look up the north. If anyone know decent Northern dealers can they let me know? Would rather buy down here but within budget that spec is limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement