Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I edited my post; I meant an interesting strategy by the pacer not you; it didn't sound like that when I read it back!

Lazare wrote: »
    That's obv why there's a clock at the start line then. Wish I'd known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

I edited my post; I meant an interesting strategy by the pacer not you; it didn't sound like that when I read it back!

Ah no, I read it as you meant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Wow, that's interesting.

Did you see your splits on Whatsapp? I put them up. Popupraces were doing excellent lap by lap timing on their app.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Did you see your splits on Whatsapp? I put them up. Popupraces were doing excellent lap by lap timing on their app.

I did. Haven't had a chance yet to go through them.

I did. Haven't had a chance yet to go through them.

Cool...what they call lap 1 is your first 200m...each lap after that is 400m

• Advertisement

Just on this, because it came up in conversation recently.

Please do be as harsh as you need to be with critique of my training.

There's a perception, rightly so in some cases probably that the recipient will take offense. I won't though. I welcome it, as I know full well that it's constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What's your plan for next Sunday, easy week then race it hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    There's a perception, rightly so in some cases probably that the recipient will take offense. I won't though. I welcome it, as I know full well that it's constructive.

Ah but none of us want to look like a tool to everyone else either. Haha

OOnegative wrote: »
    What's your plan for next Sunday, easy week then race it hard?

Yeah B, pretty much. I've a soft pb at that distance from that event last year. 45:48 I think. Barring some sort of catastrophe I should beat that by a bit.

Hopefully catch up with you at it.

Yeah B, pretty much. I've a soft pb at that distance from that event last year. 45:48 I think. Barring some sort of catastrophe I should beat that by a bit.

42:45.... that's my guess

• Advertisement

42:45.... that's my guess

That sounds about where I'm at alright.

Brill, haven’t decided on my outfit yet but you’ll see the shaven head no doubt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck on the result C - more weather related than pacer related I would think. The splits show you doing an excellent job pacing yourself through the first half of the race before it started to get away from you a little. It was very similar to last year weatherwise when I ran the 20 race, and hardly anyone made it then either. As I think I was saying to you after, you had a very similar experience to me last time, at least in terms of the result.

Track racing has its quirks and you will never get it all right first time. The lap clock is one of the most useful things out there - you say you didn’t notice it, and thats not that unusual - I think Helenanne said a similar thing a little while ago too. The watch (the distance part) is useless in a track race, as has already been suggested - and also unnnecessary as the track is a fixed length anyway. When you know the lap targets a quick glance at the clock each lap is all you need.

Good one. And now that you have the feel for the tartan, why not try a shorter track race or two? ;)

(Edit - oops, I see Scotindublin said much of this already, and more efficiently - apologies!)

Cheers D, and very well done on the pb yesterday, you ran a great race.

I really should have done my research on track racing, although, I suppose I didn't know to.

Can't wait for the next time. Loved it. May well try some mile races.

Just realised today that I started this log exactly (well tomorrow it will be exactly) one year ago after the buzz of the South Dub 10k.

Was so chuffed with myself last year after that. I ran it in 45:48 for a little over a one minute pb. Set up this log on a massive high.

I beat that today by 2 min and 36 seconds.

I am buzzing about it, the endorphins are swishing around, but this time the buzz seems different. I'm buzzing about the potential.

Delighted about what the training has achieved so far, but I want more. Can't wait to start working on it. There's no reason why I can't get into sub 19 5k and sub 40 10k shape.

Gonna get the mileage up, hopefully stay injury free and see where it takes me.

Where’s our report?

Where’s our report?

Ha!

Didn't feel like much more to report. Don't remember a whole lot, but here goes.

As an aside, I regret not making plans with you to meet up.

Plan was to set out running 4:15 kms (6:50 mi) and see how it felt. Wasn't sure what to expect, haven't raced above 5k since last Oct.

Warmed up for 3m or so with Browneyes79 and Omeceron, some strides thrown in at the end then got into the pack.

After asking a few people their target time I finally settled on the starting spot.

Gun went and as usual tons of people were way out of position. Took a good bit of weaving and dodging to get myself some space to settle into the pace.

First km was a touch too slow at 4:20, it's the draggiest part of the course though, and there was a ton of congestion so not too bad. Km 2 clocked in at 4:13, back on track. The new road up to Corkagh was pretty draggy, plenty of space though. Made my way out to the right hand side to avoid the crowd.

Got into Corkagh then, into familiar territory. Had to do a diagonal sprint to get ahead of two slow side by siders and a lad on my left shoulder who was hemming me in. Nearly clipped the guy. 'Sorry sorrys' were uttered and exchanged for upped thumbs. Think that was the last of the dodging. 4k in.

Went through 5k in 21:25 or thereabouts and thought about Sean's prediction of 42:45. Felt quite good then and in control, felt like I could do it.

Nice downhill into Clondalkin village, kms kept beeping within range. Hit the canal then and it got tough. Not straight away though. Felt strong for the first 800m or so, left a few behind, overtook a few. Got tough then. Draggy and monotonous. I train a lot on the canal so I'm used to the monotony of it, but it still felt tough. A never ending drag. Kept thinking the next bridge was the exit, you'd get up to it then see other sufferers dotted ahead in the distance, still slogging.

Eventually got released from the canal prison with 1k to go. Picked it up a little as soon as it flattened out. With about 600 to go I found a kick and picked it up to 5k pace, finding a good sprint for the last 100m or so.

43:12.

Happy with a decent pb, although it was v soft. Happy that I know there's more there with a bit of building.

Other than getting the body recovered after the 10k it was a bit of an aimless week.

Tue 23rd July - 7am - 4m recovery

Wed 24th July - 6:45am - 6m easy

Rest Thurs.

Fri 26th July - 8.30pm - 5m easy. Planned my usual pre work run but a bit of late night drama on the street on Thurs night scuppered that. Had a rough day in work. Was in horrible form mentally, really stressed out. Spent 7k of the run having imaginary rows with my boss, anger running. Then like a flick of a switch my mood lifted and the run did what it was supposed to do. Really enjoyed it funny enough.

Saturday 27th July - Corkagh parkrun. My mate Robbie was getting married later that day and he asked me to pace him to a pb. His best is 23:15 but he's nowhere near that shape at the moment, he's been struggling to break 25. He's been marathon focussed for over a year in fairness. Try telling him that though.
    I thought I had convinced him to shoot for sub 24 early in the week, which I thought would be difficult but possibly achievable. He agreed.
    Texted him Friday night to confirm what he wanted to do so I could plan.
    'I'd be happy with 23:15, but a sub 23 would be great' :eek:

I talked him out of it on the warm up and we shot for sub24. Plan was to start conservatively and pick it up. Didn't happen though, poor guy faded bad on the 4th km. Managed to light a fire under him on the 5th though, it being the fastest km. We were way off what he wanted at 25:07 but he worked hard and gave it his all. I did a good job of convincing him that his body has no clue what a pb is.

Went to his wedding later that day and drank rings around myself. Ugh. Some head on Sunday morning.

We live 5 miles or so from the venue so I ran to the hotel to collect the car and shake off the pain. Lasted about an hour then I died again. Still suffering today. Too ould for that lark.

Anyway, I've been feeling a little aimless overall with no structured plan to follow.

Gonna get onto the FRR base to 45mpw plan, jumping into week 4. A 33 mile week. I'm heading to Brighton on Friday for the long weekend, looking forward to a bit of parkrun tourism over there. Hopefully get the 10 miler done over there too on the seafront.

I'm still going to throw the odd raced parkrun into the mix during this phase, maybe a non targetted race too if one pops up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Enoy the weekend away :) no better way to explore somewhere new

Baby75 wrote: »
    Enoy the weekend away :) no better way to explore somewhere new

Thanks N, just so relieved to take a break from work.

• Advertisement

Gutted (literally) to miss Brighton and Hove parkrun this morning.

Went out for dinner and a few drinks last night. Had 3x oysters as starter. Didn't go bananas on the beer, went to bed relatively early looking forward to the morn.

Woke at about 3am doubled up in pain, stomach cramps. Spent the next 4 hours camped on our host's bathroom floor trying to sleep in between bouts of my body violently evacuating everything from it from both ends. Ugh.

Food poisoned obv. Body did a good job of clearing it as it settled down at about 7am. Am lucky, can go on for days I believe.

Am up about an hour now horsing the fluids and diorolyte into me. Going to attempt a light run and see how it feels.

Sick. Literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh no C. That’s awful. Why are you even doing the light run? Your body must be exhausted! Mind yourself.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh no C. That’s awful. Why are you even doing the light run? Your body must be exhausted! Mind yourself.

Thanks K, I'm going to be careful with it and give up if the effort feels too much.

Lazare wrote:
    Am up about an hour now horsing the fluids and diorolyte into me. Going to attempt a light run and see how it feels.

Nothing to be gained running man. Rest up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

holy crap nothing worse you poor thing I am glad your feeling better but do take it handy if anything feels to much call it a day and just relax

I think you're both right actually. Was hoping a shower was going to park me up but I still feel pretty lousy. Legs are a bit too achy.

Feck it anyway.

Thanks guys.

You won't lose any fitness don't worry. Infact you stand to do more harm than good by running.

Leave the run C, as K and P said absolutely nothing to be gained from it. Recover & try enjoy rest of your trip. Hope you get over it quickly.

Leave the run C, as K and P said absolutely nothing to be gained from it. Recover & try enjoy rest of your trip. Hope you get over it quickly.

Thanks B, don't know what I was thinking. Left the flat earlier to walk down to the sea and I could hardly walk.

Such a pity, cracking place to run.

• Advertisement

Haven't updated in a while.

Having a bit of a rough time of it lately.

A lot of stop start. Picked up a bad dose towards the end of my work holidays, felt mostly in the head so I kept running, ran parkrun, it was my 100th so I wanted to have a crack at a pb. Felt the effort tough from the get go, came in just over 21 mins and I was goosed.

Planned between 9 and 11 miles for the following day but gave up after 3, found it tough to breath.

Had to take a week off.

Went for a buggy run on Sunday and felt great, chest is not fully cleared but good enough to run I felt.

Decided to get stuck back in, put in a high mileage week.

Ran Monday night with the buggy again, then Tue morning solo. Started to feel the dreaded tendon pain, but very very mild.

Got up too late on Wed morn to do much more than 3 miles. Decided then that today was gonna be my first double day. Still some mild tendon 'pain'.

Went for 4 miles with the buggy Wed evening, grand.

Tendon has been stinging ever since. Gutted.

Gonna have to sit out again for a few days until it eases off.

Can't get my head around it, everything was easy effort.

Don't think the double had much of an impact, 12 hours between running, have done that loads of times.

I really think it was the week break. I'm starting to think breaking consistency is bad for the body. Then again, I've had this same issue at this time of year for the past two years, although both of those years I was knee deep in marathon training, so I dunno. Meh.

Anyway, it'll come good. Pain in the ass for now but I'll be grand.

For more positive vibes I'm thinking of targeting Jingle Bells and following a higher mileage 12 week plan for it. Aiming for a knock on the door of 19:00.

Advertisement