Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Really is all about mindset isn't it.

Went into this this morning believing I was gonna nail it and I nailed it.

2m easy, 10 mile marathon pace, 1 mile threshold, 2 mile easy. Forgot about the threshold mile yesterday.

Was a tough run but found I was comfortably able to hold pace.

I read Murph in his well the other day stress how important it was for him to nail his long sessions, that they stood to him. After flunking last week's I felt this was a decider.

Belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What the mind believes the body achieves :D well done C, its great when you nail the paces

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

some man for the early starts. Well done

Rested Thursday. Ran 4 miles easy @ 9:55 on Friday morning to finish the week out on the prescribed 36 miles.

Q1 this morning.

3m easy, 12m MP, 1m easy.

Surprised myself with this one, woke up feeling a bit crappy this morning, IBS was acting up. Was gonna postpone until Sunday, was actually dreading it.

Decided to do it and set off for Corkagh parkrun. Felt great straight away so the confidence grew. Ran parkrun easy then set off for another four laps of the course.

Found myself struggling to stick to MP, which is unusual for me, ran the MP section a touch too fast at 8:26 average. MP is 8:36.

Considering an A goal of 3:40/3:42 after it. No fuel, minimal water and not a decent rest before and it felt quite comfortable.

With a taper, full fuel and good rest maybe that should be the target. I'll reassess closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yellow top?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yellow top?

Yep, yellow singlet, black shorts. Ran parkrun in a black top though. Read you were there yesterday, did we run by each other?

I ran the first half of the course in reverse to cool down. Exchanged a nod with runner in yellow top also cooling down, near the cycle track. I was in a purple parkrun volunteer top.

I do remember passing a guy there alright, but I ran by there at about 10:15. Plus, was just on the first MP mile.

Lazare wrote: »
    I do remember passing a guy there alright, but I ran by there at about 10:15. Plus, was just on the first MP mile.

Sounds about right timewise!

Haha, belated 'howya Murph' :)

• Advertisement

Haha, belated 'howya Murph' :)

Likewise!

Picked up a toddler back to playschool head cold, a bummer but it's mild enough. Tomorrow's Q2 is a relatively short 11 miler so I should be ok.

Plan for the half on Sat which I'm open to critique on is to run it at 3:40 pace with 3 miles easy beforehand and a mile or two afterwards.

If it feels comfortable I'm going to target it, if it doesn't I'll drop back to 3:45.

Just not sure if, say it does feel comfortable it really tells me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Picked up a toddler back to playschool head cold, a bummer but it's mild enough. Tomorrow's Q2 is a relatively short 11 miler so I should be ok.

Plan for the half on Sat which I'm open to critique on is to run it at 3:40 pace with 3 miles easy beforehand and a mile or two afterwards.

If it feels comfortable I'm going to target it, if it doesn't I'll drop back to 3:45.

Just not sure if, say it does feel comfortable it really tells me anything.

I don't think it tells you anything. With less than 6 weeks to go you will probably find a half at PMP fairly easy. I really think you should race it as best you can. 3:40 pace is slower than your half last year. What could it tell you?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't think it tells you anything. With less than 6 weeks to go you will probably find a half at PMP fairly easy. I really think you should race it as best you can. 3:40 pace is slower than your half last year. What could it tell you?

You're right. Maybe I do need to race it. Will give it a bit of thought over the next day or so.

I'm guessing sub 1:40 should be a target? What would you suggest?

4 easy miles yesterday, week 13's Q2 this morning.

45 mins easy, 2x 2mile @ threshold with 2 min rest, 1m at threshold, 1m easy.

Fairly wild out, took a peek out the back garden and saw trees in the distance blowing all over the gaff. Was thinking of abandoning but with the half this weekend it was my only shot at it.

Route is fairly well sheltered, only ran headlong into it occasionally, got side swiped a few times though. Managed the pace so all's good.

Will try get 9 easy miles in before Sat to round it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done getting out in that mad wind today :)

You're right. Maybe I do need to race it. Will give it a bit of thought over the next day or so.

I'm guessing sub 1:40 should be a target? What would you suggest?

Definitely...what does your 10 mile time predict?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Definitely...what does your 10 mile time predict?

Just checked McMillan and it predicts a 1:41:38.

That's a 5 min pb almost, 10 mile was a 4 min pb so it sounds fairly accurate.
    Maybe a 1:40 is slightly out of reach, just realising it was my 10 mile pace. Did think afterwards that I could have held it for a bit, an extra 3 miles? Dunno.

What I want from this is confidence in a 3:40 target. Will I risk that by shooting for 1:40 and failing? Would I be better off targeting that prediction?

Will need to shake this cold by then either way, which I should.

Maybe a 1:40 is slightly out of reach, just realising it was my 10 mile pace. Did think afterwards that I could have held it for a bit, an extra 3 miles? Dunno.

What I want from this is confidence in a 3:40 target. Will I risk that by shooting for 1:40 and failing? Would I be better off targeting that prediction?

Will need to shake this cold by then either way, which I should.

Yep. Target 1:42 pace and see can you finish strong. 4:50 per km sounds good

It was a bit off. Came home in 1:41:32. :)

Delighted with it obv, training is working, gives me huge confidence in attacking a 3:40. Going to change my paces to suit that from here on in.

Chatting to my friend Eoin (Tunguska) and he recommends sandbagging the first half and aiming for a 1:52/1:47 split.

I'm going to set the pace band up to reflect that, it's a similar plan to last year and I pulled it off, so here's hoping.

Cheers Sean for your advice, so glad I raced that now. You're right, I don't think running it at 8:24 would have given me anything.

Off to Spain on Tuesday for a couple of Q sessions in the sunshine.

• Advertisement

Sorry if this sounds gloaty, I hope it doesn't.

One thing that had me buzzing today, and full of encouragment was, I checked the watch going through the 5 mile marker and I was through in 38:25 or thereabouts, almost a minute quicker than my Raheny time from last year.

I was goosed after that race, gave it everything, was over the moon with my time.

Mad how much you can improve.

The training works guys, it's magic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done again C. I was thrilled for you when I saw your finish time. Do you intend beating McMillan’s prediction in DCM too?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done again C. I was thrilled for you when I saw your finish time. Do you intend beating McMillan’s prediction in DCM too?
    Thanks a mill K.

God I don't think so. predicts a 3:33.

I think I'm verging on over ambitious as it is aiming for an 18 minute pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Sorry if this sounds gloaty, I hope it doesn't.

One thing that had me buzzing today, and full of encouragment was, I checked the watch going through the 5 mile marker and I was through in 38:25 or thereabouts, almost a minute quicker than my Raheny time from last year.

I was goosed after that race, gave it everything, was over the moon with my time.

Mad how much you can improve.

The training works guys, it's magic. :)

You’re allowed to gloat as much as you like C, absolutely delighted for you today, you ran a brilliant race, enjoy the beers!!

You’re allowed to gloat as much as you like C, absolutely delighted for you today, you ran a brilliant race, enjoy the beers!!

Likewise, you ran a fantastic race yourself!! Hope you're still basking in the afterglow :)

Moved up to a VDot of 42.

New paces as follows..

Easy 9:10 - 10:17

MP 8:28

Threshold 7:52

Interval 7:17

Ran 4 easy miles yesterday morn then flew to Spain in the afternoon.

Did week 14's Q1 this morning. Was pretty tough. Was 26° starting out, did cool a little but was damn glad when it was over.

Workout was 2m easy, 2m @ threshold, 60 mins easy, 2x 1m Threshold with 1 min rest then 2m easy.

14.3 miles. Threshold bits were tough, particularly the second ones, was a few seconds off the pace but I'm ok with that given the heat, effort was there in spades.

Last two easy miles were at 10 min pace and it felt like I was pulling a car. Jumped straight into a cool pool afterwards. Then had a big burger with a fried egg in it. Yup.

I feel I'm really putting the work in with this, it has to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks a mill K.

God I don't think so. predicts a 3:33.

I think I'm verging on over ambitious as it is aiming for an 18 minute pb.

Not at all C. You're flying with the training and the races show seriously good form, no reason to think you're being over ambitious at all.

ariana` wrote: »
    Not at all C. You're flying with the training and the races show seriously good form, no reason to think you're being over ambitious at all.

Thank you E.

I'm happy that I've settled on a target that feels like a challenge. If I hit it I won't be left with a feeling of what if.

Ran 5 miles last Thursday and felt that extensior tendon pain again afterwards. Decided to rest up and ice it. Had thoughts of moving the Q1 to Sunday but it swelled up on Friday. Decided to fully rest it until I got back to Dublin.

Went out a short while ago to do an easy 6 miles and felt the beginnings of it after half a mile so abandoned and turned back.

Wasn't too concerned while resting it but am now.

Going to have to rest up again until Saturday, then see how it feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Hopefully nothing serious or long term C

Advertisement