Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Probably wise to start the block as fresh as possible, although the first two weeks are quite easy so there is a bit of leeway.

Regarding racing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I raced a ten mile around week 6 and then Tullamore in August and it didn't seem to have any negative impact on the outcome. Just drop the Thursday tempo before the race weekend and maybe the Tuesday session afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cheers for that man. That's proper horses mouth advice 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi Lazare, how you feeling about Dunshaughlin?

Hey D, I'm feeling excited about it.

A very different feeling to how I felt the day before Leixlip. I've no nerves or apprehension like then.

I'm going to have a fair whack at sub 40 but I'm not going to be too put out if I fall short.

I'm going to be using it to zone in on a target for Amsterdam. That decision needs making before my first Hanson's Thurs tempo in 2x weeks.

Generally feeling relaxed and excited for it. Purely because it's not a goal race though.

How are you feeling about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super stuff!

I'll give the sub 40 a go too but think I'd have preferred it to be 2 weeks ago.

I'll keep an eye out for you on the start line, best of luck.

• Advertisement

You too man. Hopefully the thunderstorms don't materialise. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I think you'd be OK going full tilt at Dunshaughlin. Remember Hanson Day 1 is Thursday, not Monday, and week one is all easy anyway. No session til the Tuesday of week 2. Good luck on all fronts.

Cheers D, I really meant going full throttle with sessions in the build up, wanted a couple of easyish weeks before Hanson.

I'll certainly give the race a fair oul crack though 😊

Dunshaughlin 10k - sub 40 shot

I got a welcome message from @Lambay island the night before offering his pacing services. D is on the road to injury recovery and was planning on running it at 40 min pace and was sound enough to get in touch. Arrived in Dunshaughlin about an hour before the start and parked up. Fantastic pre race organisation with ample parking and direction. Great buzz around the place. Bumped into @AuldManKing in the hall and had a good chat about our race plans. @Wottle too. Met up then with D for a warm up, hoped to meet with @Laineyfrecks too but she had a couple of difficulties with her Google maps.

The weather seemed perfect when we got there but by the time we got up to the start line after warming up you could really feel the mugginess in the air.

Was anxious to see E before the start and wish her good luck, D and I were scanning everyone looking for her and eventually she appeared. She had some pre race doubts and uncertainty so I was raging a little that I didn't get a chance to jog about the place and help her with that. Didn't matter, she ran a cracking race, 5 secs outside her PB, which is PB shape imo.

A bit of strategy talk with D, similar to C at Leixlip I told him to crack on if I faded, and that I wouldn't do much talking.

Gun and we're off.

First km is downhill, so a few seconds faster than goal pace wasn't anything to be concerned about. D knows the course well so was keeping the race line excellently, well, moreso further into things when it thinned out, now with the congestion he was just making sure we were getting into good position for the turns.

Km 1 beeps 3:56 and it's feeling pretty comfortable effort wise.

Kms 2, 3 and 4 beep in at 3:59, 3:55 and 4:01 and it's beginning to feel hot. Plenty of fears and doubts now about whether I can hold on. Am keeping shoulder to shoulder with D though.

Km 5 is 3:59, through 5k in 19:50 for my 4th fastest 5k. Have to throw a cup of water over my head at the first water station. I heard D say something to me as I veered to grab a cup and thought (when it was too late) that he said 'grab one for me' and I spent the next while feeling bad about it, but too flat out to ask him. Offered him one at the next station and he said no. Turned out he was asking me did I want him to veer and grab it for me. Soundness.

Km 6 is 3:56, it's tough going but we're motoring along really well, still shoulder to shoulder.

Km 7 beeps in 4:02. I don't mind these + splits too much as I know we've plenty banked at this stage, and it's not wildly out.

D had been briefing me on what was to come in Km 8, the toughest section of the course, a hilly one. He had shown me his splits from previous the night before and that one being the slowest, we run it in 4:09. No biggie, we're still on target and the next one is a fast one.

I go through the 5 mile marker in 32:23, 30 seconds faster than my Raheny PB. More on that below.

D asks me how I'm doing, I'm breathing heavy but I feel strong enough to get it done, I tell him 'let's bring this home'.

We come upon a bit of congestion, D moves right and I inject a small bit of pace to go around left. I suddenly get a sharp warning of cramp in the left calf.

Fooook. I immediately pull back a touch on the pace and D pulls ahead. Running 4:05ish pace now on what should be the fastest km. Can't believe it. Absolutely sh1tting myself now of going any faster. Another few sporadic warning shots in the calfs. Poxy thing is I know I have it in the lungs at this point, I just can't risk DNF. You can keep going with the warning shots, but when it comes on full bang it's game over, or at best hopping in for a 45 min +.

Km 9 is 4:02 which sucks.

D is yelling back encouragement telling me to kick but I'm too afraid to just yet. All I can think of now is getting over the line before it comes on full. I hit 400m to go and feel now I can risk it so I kick.

Km 10 is 3:54 but it's not enough. Go over the line is 40:03 chip. Agonisingly close.

It's still a pretty nice PB at almost 3 minutes, but there's something ever so slightly disappointing about it. 4 bleedin seconds. Lots of what ifs.

The cramping is a little worrying, have never experienced it before <marathon distance. Maybe I was simply racing 10k at my 5 mile pace. Felt well hydrated. Who knows. Calfs completely locked up as soon as I tried to jog a cool down. Frightened the life out of poor E with my yelp 😃

One thing I took away from it though was the fact I felt pretty strong aerobically during that last mile. I'm confident that had the calf issue not occurred I would have dipped well under it. Unfinished business.

D went over the line bang on time and was absolutely magnificent as a pacer, such a sound bloke too. I owe him a lot of thanks for the stellar job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done C. Frustrating about the cramping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done .. you ran superbly and really hung in well when the cramp hit. Didn't really realise at time how tight it was for u and I wouldn't have been roaring at ya 😁. As I mentioned, maybe going out 10 seconds a km slower in first 3km may have kept the wolves at bay a bit longer. Hard to know as its a tricky one with terrain In latter stages to neg spilt..On the plus side, you now know you are well capable of going under 40. You have had a great year so far and your only going to get stronger with the Hanson plan. Great stuff and pleasure to be a tiny part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bzzn87

Well done 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah didn't realise about the calf, that's an awful shame. I had a calf tighten on me a couple of months back, just on a training run but it's a scary feeling and I can imagine the alarm bells ringing and your mind whirling mid race, especially when your target was well within your grasp, bit of a nightmare combination really.. Any tightness since, would you get a physio to check it out sometime? Do you roll it - a sliotar is the businss, one of the kids ones to start off with maybe 😅 Fair play all the same, you'll go well under 40 next time, no bother to you, you're on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Another inspiring performance C, always thrilled to be there! Sub 40 is defo there, absolutely no doubt🤗

Thanks so much guys, lovely words as always.

@ariana` Thanks E, no real tightness since. I don't do any rolling at all, will add a bit in, fair play. Hadn't really considered a physio for it. It's something I'll definitely need to get a handle on before Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The cramping shows you were right on the limit - the humid conditions played a part too,, no doubt.

You're in great shape right now - a 3min PB on a 10k is an amazing chunk of change - those few seconds will keep you motivated for the next 10k :)

Cheers for that A, great chatting to you that night.

So I've just completed the third week of Hanson advanced. The serious logging starts now 😊

The first couple of weeks was all easy stuff, there was a speed session on the Tue last week but I skipped it. Dunshaughlin was still too present in the legs and was a good sub for it anyway. I also missed a couple of days last week, Fri and Sat due to being away for work and having a little too much fun with alcohol.

Anyway, into week 3 and the real stuff begins. Was looking forward a lot to the first of the famous Thursday tempos. A 'tempo' in Hanson language is goal marathon pace. Not current fitness MP, goal MP. I struggled with this concept for a while, goal MP 16 weeks out?? Then it clicked with me. The idea being that you should be able to comfortably hold your goal MP for six miles, and gradually that comfortable distance will increase. You get a body feel for that pace from the get go, and you have that feedback every single Thursday, allowing you to really zone in on a target.

So I needed to nail down a target in time for it. I settled on 3:05. 7:03/4:23 pace.

Monday June 26th - 6m easy. 5:41km pace, 133bpm. HR a touch higher than I would like here. Want to keep these <130 in future.

Tuesday June 27th - First of the speed sessions, 8x 600, 400m recs. Guide for these is to run them between 5k and 10k pace. Struggled to hit pace on them, slow end of that range for 3 of them and outside the range for the other 5. No concern though, for a couple of reasons. I always struggle to hit pace on this type of session, particularly early morning. Also, it's one session.

Thursday June 29th - 6m Tempo. Was excited for this, got a good night's sleep in advance. Warmed up for 3k, a little break then set off on it. Felt pretty comfortable. Felt like marathon effort. Ran it bang on pace at 4:23 average. We won't count chickens just yet though, let's see how the 8 and 10 milers feel.

Friday June 30th - 7m easy. 5:41km, 128bpm.

Saturday July 1st - 6m easy. Rounded up to 10k. 5:41km, 131bpm.

Sunday July 2nd - 10m Long run. Sundays, while always a decent distance are either easy or long. Long means goal +40secs a mile, 25 secs a km. Target for this was 4:45km/7:40ish. My wife is away this weekend, so my MIL kindly gave me a dig out and took the kids to let me run (yesterday too). I set off from just beside Tymon Park in the direction of Templeogue, intending to join the Terenure segment of the DCM route. I quickly realised I was heading pretty much downhill for the first half. Haha, dread. Felt so good though, really strong. Held the pace pretty well. 4:48 average, 147bpm.

A little niggly discomfort in my right hip, felt midweek, and after today's run. Something to keep an eye on.

A few inches shy of 47 miles for the week and feeling really good.

Loving this plan.

Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

If only my own tempo session went as well. Hit pace for half of the 10k then fell off a cliff (not literally although at least then I would have sped up). One thing I don't understand about my Garmin workout setup - I had it on my watch for an acceptable pace range - I noticed it slipping towards the 'too slow' end of things but it only slightly went off the scale and out of acceptable range. Yet my next two laps were appallingly slow, way slower than the range on my watch which I just don't get. The watch never showed me slowing down that much. If it was just one lap / KM I'd say it was a GPS anomaly, but it was two. Anyway - I was indeed too slow but hadn't thought I failed that badly.

Rest of the week not great either, today's long run and yesterday's run were both cut short as a result of whatever pox I currently have. Sort throat, coughing a lot etc. Probably shouldn't have run at all today if I was an intelligent person.

Chalk this week off, you're sick. You can't really take too much from your performances because of that. Maybe just run easy or rest and recover from that dose. We're early doors. Plenty of time.

• Advertisement

Watched the full 2019 Amsterdam marathon on Youtube on Friday night. Looks like such a great course, cannot wait for it.

Ran it last year, it is indeed a good course, very flat and starting / ending in the Olympic stadium is great.

How did you get on?

What's the target this year?

Total mess last year but I had runners anaemia without knowing it. Blew up at about 10km, also hadn't trained properly. Last year's target was 3:10, this year I still deciding - somewhere between 3 - 3:10 I think. Depends on how the next tempo run goes :)

We're in the same boat so. If you're Dublin based and you fancy meeting up for the odd one let me know.

Also, forgot to mention, I'm going to run all sessions in the Pro 3s from here on out. Ran the tempo and today in them.

Looking at the Endorphin Elites for the race.

Ran the intervals today (all sessions in VF next %2) - missed all paces but crucially not by too much (3 seconds more or less) but two mitigating factors: still ill and the route I chose cause I thought it was flat turned out to have about a 2 - 3% gradient so I'm slightly hopeful it wasn't a total waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How are you lads choosing your pace targets for those speed sessions? I remember having some debate with my fellow Hansonites when I was using the method.

I was similar, faster than goal pace for the first, 7 & 8 secs out on the next two and a couple of seconds out on the last two.

Effort felt spot on.

• Advertisement

For this morning I was aiming for a touch faster than 10k.

I set the watch up for between 5 and 10k.

Just as I was typing this I've realised I ran next week's workout (5x 1k) this morn by mistake. Jaysis 😃

Advertisement