Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

With a bit of luck the fact you stopped so soon after feeling it will be important. Any physio planned or just Dr Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    With a bit of luck the fact you stopped so soon after feeling it will be important. Any physio planned or just Dr Google?

Hopefully buddy. No physio planned just yet, have it strapped up here, will rest for another couple of days and see where I'm at then.

Had to pull the plug on a 20 miler 8 miles in. Began to hurt bad.

Pretty gutting tbh.

I'll have to rest up. I'll keep up the s&c, maybe try get some swimming in or something and just hope. Not sure where that leaves the A goal at this point with 2x key sessions missed. We'll see.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Had to pull the plug on a 20 miler 8 miles in. Began to hurt bad.

Pretty gutting tbh.

I'll have to rest up. I'll keep up the s&c, maybe try get some swimming in or something and just hope. Not sure where that leaves the A goal at this point with 2x key sessions missed. We'll see.

Meh.

So sorry to read this C, but possibly time for physio and dust off the bike and cycle if you can as well as S&C which tendon in the foot is it again

Baby75 wrote: »
    So sorry to read this C, but possibly time for physio and dust off the bike and cycle if you can as well as S&C which tendon in the foot is it again

Thanks N. It's the extensior. Pain is at the front of the ankle, top of the foot, on the bend. Hurts when I point toes up.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to Marian swimming pool in Ballsbridge. They do deep water running classes on Mon evenings.

Gonna go one better than Jesus and run on water.

Putting my mind at ease a little.

Just off the phone to Marian swimming pool in Ballsbridge. They do deep water running classes on Mon evenings.

Gonna go one better than Jesus and run on water.

Putting my mind at ease a little.

Sounds like a good plan and ice that tendon and see if that helps as well :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan and ice that tendon and see if that helps as well :)

Just took the pack off a few mins ago. :)

Just took the pack off a few mins ago. :)

The joys of it :cool: I hope a little rest settles it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to read this C. Best of luck with the swimming.

• Advertisement

Thank you J, really appreciate it.

Did a 45 minute aqua running class on Monday along with some S&C Thurs. Fully rested since Saturday.

12 easy miles planned for tomorrow morning.

Mix of hope and trepidation here. If it's pain free I'm good to go, if it's not, well it's tough decision time.

Did a 45 minute aqua running class on Monday along with some S&C Thurs. Fully rested since Saturday.

12 easy miles planned for tomorrow morning.

Mix of hope and trepidation here. If it's pain free I'm good to go, if it's not, well it's tough decision time.

I am hoping it is going well and no issues FX

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Thanks N. It's the extensior. Pain is at the front of the ankle, top of the foot, on the bend. Hurts when I point toes up.

I had this. Took some nurofen plus to target inflammation. Then loosen laces around where it hurt. Seen to do trick.

Pain free.

Good to go.

So happy, so relieved. It's on.

paddybarry wrote: »
    I had this. Took some nurofen plus to target inflammation. Then loosen laces around where it hurt. Seen to do trick.

Thank you, last week Baby75 alerted me to the fact that I had my current shoes laced differently to my previous. I had always used the lock technique, and had forgotten to when I got my new Brooks. Fixed that and used some KT tape, also recommended by her good self. Could well have been something so simple. Well that and the big increase in mileage maybe :)

Almost blast off time.

Am reading this post of mine over and over to get that confidence back. Wheels kinda came off the plan the week after it.

It was a bit off. Came home in 1:41:32. :)

Delighted with it obv, training is working, gives me huge confidence in attacking a 3:40. Going to change my paces to suit that from here on in.

Chatting to my friend Eoin (Tunguska) and he recommends sandbagging the first half and aiming for a 1:52/1:47 split.

I'm going to set the pace band up to reflect that, it's a similar plan to last year and I pulled it off, so here's hoping.

Cheers Sean for your advice, so glad I raced that now. You're right, I don't think running it at 8:24 would have given me anything.

Off to Spain on Tuesday for a couple of Q sessions in the sunshine.

I missed some key sessions, and never ran more than 17 miles. But I'm feeling fit enough to attack it. Blow up is a risk, but I'm ok with that. I'm still half sh1ttiing myself though. Had a full blown panic attack last night in bed. Was reading the goodie bag magazine, saw a pick of Clohissy in full stride and was immedieately struck down with panic 'I can't do that, wtf am I doing? Jesus'

Calmed down then and realised that it's just a race.
    Chatting to my friend Eoin (Tunguska) and he recommends sandbagging the first half and aiming for a 1:52/1:47 split.

Posted this not really realising what it meant. Realised it when I printed the pace band. Second half pace was ridiculous so I've adjusted it to a slighter negative.

Plan now is 1:51:17/1:48:02

Have concerns that the pain will come back, that's the only thing denting my confidence, I feel fit enough to handle the pace.

Gonna have a crack and attack.

Believe.

Bit of a disaster. Actually no, not a bit. Was a disaster.

But I'm stoic.

Post-mortem to follow. Drinking far too much strong beer to do so now.

Some big lessons learned from yesterday.

I was feeling really down about the whole experience earlier today, but have come around to a more positive mindset.

With hindsight, I think I knew a month ago that it was game over, but I couldn't admit it to myself.

Got myself fit to run with rest but I missed far too much in those last few weeks.

My anxiety attack on Friday night was that realisation.

It's such a tough thing to do, to make that call. You've put so much into it, 15 milers at 5am on a Wed before work. Sacrificing quality evening time for sleep etc. I held on to every hope, to the point of delusion and denial.

Race was actually going really well, pretty much on point. Felt really amazing in the first half, paces were to plan. Felt a bit of that tendon pain come on exiting the park into Chapelizod. When it disappeared after a couple of minutes my confidence was booming.

Felt the effort get a little tough thru mile 14 so I mentally readjusted the target to 3:43/3:45. Was holding 8:30 ish and it felt comfortable.

Around 18 miles I started to feel something weird in the right calf. Freaked me out and slowed me down. Crested the hill in Milltown and just at Rovers' old ground it popped. Was like it was squeezed in the middle and half of it was popping out of my leg. Horrible sensation, I stopped immediately and screamed. People rushed over to help. I stretched it out and cautiously took off again.

Goal at this point was to finish, no care for time. I promised my 4 year old the medal so had to get it.

Less than a mile later I had to stop again with the pain, stretched it again and shuffled off. It was all shuffle/walk/scream from that point.

Got then to the stage where walking became agonising. In and around the RDS a woman propped me up and helped me along, jogged for about 400m then had to stop as everything seized up.

I have never felt physical pain like it. The last two miles were absolute sadistic torture. Took me almost 20 minutes to get from the 25 mile marker to the line. Almost all of that propped up under the arms of a guy called Ciaran who was carrying me and another walking wounded guy. An absolute warrior, posting his name here in the hope he's a boardsie. Guy gave up his race to get the two of us over the line.

Torture. Got in at 4:11, which is irrelevant really. A weird irony though, the pain that had me so stressed out never materialised. That area feels totally fine right now.

The main, and most important lesson for me in all of this is base building.

I knew at the start that I didn't posess the requisite base to tackle an intermediate plan such as the Daniels Q2.

I really enjoyed the journey, loved the Wednesday sessions before work. Loved nailing tough workouts. Got some cracking pbs at every race I ran.

I'm not running 26.2 in 2019, well that's my current thinking. I'm going to crack sub 20 at 5k. If I do that early enough I'll target some 10ks. Will run the series.

Calf is v sore and tender. Will let it recover for the whole of November if need be and come back a stronger faster runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    Calf is v sore and tender. Will let it recover for the whole of November if need be and come back a stronger faster runner.

Sorry you had such a rough day. Great attitude in the above quoted part. All the best with the recovery.

• Advertisement

Some big lessons learned from yesterday.

I was feeling really down about the whole experience earlier today, but have come around to a more positive mindset.

With hindsight, I think I knew a month ago that it was game over, but I couldn't admit it to myself.

Got myself fit to run with rest but I missed far too much in those last few weeks.

My anxiety attack on Friday night was that realisation.

It's such a tough thing to do, to make that call. You've put so much into it, 15 milers at 5am on a Wed before work. Sacrificing quality evening time for sleep etc. I held on to every hope, to the point of delusion and denial.

Race was actually going really well, pretty much on point. Felt really amazing in the first half, paces were to plan. Felt a bit of that tendon pain come on exiting the park into Chapelizod. When it disappeared after a couple of minutes my confidence was booming.

Felt the effort get a little tough thru mile 14 so I mentally readjusted the target to 3:43/3:45. Was holding 8:30 ish and it felt comfortable.

Around 18 miles I started to feel something weird in the right calf. Freaked me out and slowed me down. Crested the hill in Milltown and just at Rovers' old ground it popped. Was like it was squeezed in the middle and half of it was popping out of my leg. Horrible sensation, I stopped immediately and screamed. People rushed over to help. I stretched it out and cautiously took off again.

Goal at this point was to finish, no care for time. I promised my 4 year old the medal so had to get it.

Less than a mile later I had to stop again with the pain, stretched it again and shuffled off. It was all shuffle/walk/scream from that point.

Got then to the stage where walking became agonising. In and around the RDS a woman propped me up and helped me along, jogged for about 400m then had to stop as everything seized up.

I have never felt physical pain like it. The last two miles were absolute sadistic torture. Took me almost 20 minutes to get from the 25 mile marker to the line. Almost all of that propped up under the arms of a guy called Ciaran who was carrying me and another walking wounded guy. An absolute warrior, posting his name here in the hope he's a boardsie. Guy gave up his race to get the two of us over the line.

Torture. Got in at 4:11, which is irrelevant really. A weird irony though, the pain that had me so stressed out never materialised. That area feels totally fine right now.

The main, and most important lesson for me in all of this is base building.

I knew at the start that I didn't posess the requisite base to tackle an intermediate plan such as the Daniels Q2.

I really enjoyed the journey, loved the Wednesday sessions before work. Loved nailing tough workouts. Got some cracking pbs at every race I ran.

I'm not running 26.2 in 2019, well that's my current thinking. I'm going to crack sub 20 at 5k. If I do that early enough I'll target some 10ks. Will run the series.

That sounds like an absolutely terrible half hour. Glad to see that you were walking in McGrattans yesterday. Hopefully that means the damage isn't too bad. That's the thing about the marathon distance, if you have a weakness it will find it. It may not show in any other races or training but DCM will track it down. Best of luck with the recovery, rebuilding the base and project Sub 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hell of an effort to guts that out and a testament to your determination to cross the line.

The first 6 words of your race report says it all....look at what you have learned from yesterday. You have come on no end since being part of the 2017 Novice Group. Get yourself right refocus the goals and crack on to your full potential. Maybe catch you a Jingle Bells again this year.

Keep the chin up.

C

Cheers guys.

Wouldn't miss Jingle bells C, hopefully in good enough shape to have a crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Some guts to get to the finishing line C, well done. I did laugh at your what’s app pics though - apologies!!!

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Some guts to get to the finishing line C, well done. I did laugh at your what’s app pics though - apologies!!!

lol, they were funny in fairness, especially the one with the lad in the fozzy bear outfit behind me as I'm crying in pain.

My wife texted the following back when I sent them to her..
    Which pic will we blow up and have mounted in the sitting room for daily ridicule? I'm thinking the cry baby one

People were asking about me on Facebook and she replied that I had to be carried home by a girl.

Don't get any sympathy in this gaff. lol.

Short term (2019): Want to sub 20 5k.

Current pb, set at Jingle Bells last year is 21:29.

I want to also crack it at Corkagh parkrun. Current pb there 22:03, set in April.

Had a crack at a pb in Corkagh the week before DCM training began and came in at 22:04. Looking forward to attacking it again, I feel a pb is a given after that block, dying to see how close I can get to 20 though.

Haven't yet looked at 5k specific training, am open to tips and suggestions. Want to keep the mileage up though, and particularly want to continue with midweek early morning long runs.

Will race Raheny and Terenure. Not sure yet about racing the series beyond the 10k.

Medium term:

Have unfinished DCM business. Am going to build the requisite base between now and June 2020. That will give me the best shot at getting through a tough plan injury free. I'll nail it and look back at last Sunday as an important school day.

Short term (2019): Want to sub 20 5k.

Current pb, set at Jingle Bells last year is 21:29.

I want to also crack it at Corkagh parkrun. Current pb there 22:03, set in April.

Had a crack at a pb in Corkagh the week before DCM training began and came in at 22:04. Looking forward to attacking it again, I feel a pb is a given after that block, dying to see how close I can get to 20 though.

Haven't yet looked at 5k specific training, am open to tips and suggestions. Want to keep the mileage up though, and particularly want to continue with midweek early morning long runs.

Will race Raheny and Terenure. Not sure yet about racing the series beyond the 10k.

Medium term:

Have unfinished DCM business. Am going to build the requisite base between now and June 2020. That will give me the best shot at getting through a tough plan injury free. I'll nail it and look back at last Sunday as an important school day.

Any reason not to do DCM next year. 12 months more would be more than adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:

Do you have the faster road racing book by pfitzinger and that other fella?
    It's the route id probably go down if I wasn't lucky enough to have coaching. Gives you the option of keeping up mileage.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Any reason not to do DCM next year. 12 months more would be more than adequate.

That's my thinking. Also, I want a full year at getting fast, June comes around quite quickly.

• Advertisement

Do you have the faster road racing book by pfitzinger and that other fella?
    It's the route id probably go down if I wasn't lucky enough to have coaching. Gives you the option of keeping up mileage.

I know it. I'll get it. Cheers Swash.

Advertisement