Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    I know it. I'll get it. Cheers Swash.

I have it myself. Had planned on using it til Testosterscone came on the scene to help me out. I liked the look of the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I have it myself. Had planned on using it til Testosterscone came on the scene to help me out. I liked the look of the plans.

My gut is telling me mileage is important for improving over 5k. Good to know P&F subscribe to that.

All that extra easy mileage definitely gave me big endurance gains.

Some quality workouts peppered into tons of easy running will surely get me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    That's my thinking. Also, I want a full year at getting fast, June comes around quite quickly.

I worded that badly C. What I meant was that another 12 months on top of what you have done now would set you up for DCM 19. Do you think you need to wait until 2020 to have enough of a base built?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I worded that badly C. What I meant was that another 12 months on top of what you have done now would set you up for DCM 19. Do you think you need to wait until 2020 to have enough of a base built?

Oh, ha, thought you meant the opposite.

Yeah, you're right, I just feel I haven't had enough of a crack at improving my shorter stuff. The latter six months of this and last year were given over to 26.2, I just want to dedicate the full year to it.

May end up doing a Michael D on it and run another term but right now I think I want to skip a year. It should put me in a good position when it comes around.

Faster Road Racing will be landing in my Parcel Motel by the weekend hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh wow, that sounds like a horrifying experience Lazare, really sorry you had to suffer through that! Sounds like you've got good perspective on it now though, lessons learned and you know where you want to go.

It was nice to say hello/goodbye to you in McGrattan's. I had no idea then that you were in that much pain - you put a brave face on it!
    lol, they were funny in fairness, especially the one with the lad in the fozzy bear outfit behind me as I'm crying in pain.

My wife texted the following back when I sent them to her..
    Which pic will we blow up and have mounted in the sitting room for daily ridicule? I'm thinking the cry baby one
    People were asking about me on Facebook and she replied that I had to be carried home by a girl.

Don't get any sympathy in this gaff. lol.
    This is brilliant, love the sound of your wife :D

eyrie wrote: »
    Oh wow, that sounds like a horrifying experience Lazare, really sorry you had to suffer through that! Sounds like you've got good perspective on it now though, lessons learned and you know where you want to go.

It was nice to say hello/goodbye to you in McGrattan's. I had no idea then that you were in that much pain - you put a brave face on it!

This is brilliant, love the sound of your wife :D

Thanks so much eyrie, was great to meet you guys too, pity is was so brief.

Yeah my wife's a character alright, really love that about her, keeps you grounded.

Spent November trying not to bust a gut too much with the intention of getting to Jingle Bells with no specific 5k training. And, also to give myself a good recovery stretch.

My 5k pb (21:29) was set at last year's race so I wanted to not do too much different to last year in the run up to it, get a good handle on where the fitness is.

Other than a few strides last week and a small bit more mileage than last year I did that.

Settled on a target of sub 21. Sean Skyblue who unfortunately recently picked up an injury scuppering his plans to attack the race offered to pace me.

First km was very congested with a lot of slow runners, and a buggy :confused:, starting too far up the pen, we started in the correct position but it meant a lot of weaving and slowing until it opened up on Chesterfield.
    Had planned on 4:18ish for the first two (I had switched back to metric for this) and up it on the downhill but first km took 4:26 which sowed doubt and made me dread what was going to be required.

Sean got away from me on Chesterfield and I panicked a little, but I caught him when we turned. He slowed a little for me.

Started to feel good then but the watch was giving me a predicted time of 22:00. Kinda mentally gave up then on the sub 21, how the hell was I going to make a minute up over 2.5km? *

Sean's encouragement was super though, 'let's keep this pace (4:05) until we hit the top of upper glen, then we'll take off'. I kept with him. Probably would have backed off if on my own as it was hurting, a lot.

We hit the top of the hill then picked it up. 'c'mon, 3:55 from here and we'll do it'. Over the last mile mat, I look down at 3:55 and wonder how the hell I'm gonna hold that for a mile. Pain. Kept repeating 'it's only pain, it's only pain'

Reached about 200 to go and I kicked, roars of encouragement from Sean.

Over the line and ecstatic to see 20:53 on the watch. So happy right now. Would not have done it without him. I reckon I would have came home in about 21:25ish on my own.

Project sub20 is a go.

Going to start 5k specific stuff very soon, build up to 5x 1k reps. Some tempo stuff and speed work. And a regular home S&C routine. Am reading Faster Road Racing (thanks Swash), there's a wealth of stuff in there.

Thanks again Sean, you're a legend. I really hope you are back to full strength asap.

Forgot I put an asterix in for a reason.

I downloaded Race Screen this week and used it for the first time today.

I do like the info but I'm not sure if having a predicted time on display is a good thing for me. When it showed me I was a minute off target halfway through the third km it almost made me give up. I'll use it again but if it regularly gives me negative thoughts I'll be abandoning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Forgot I put an asterix in for a reason.

I downloaded Race Screen this week and used it for the first time today.

I do like the info but I'm not sure if having a predicted time on display is a good thing for me. When it showed me I was a minute off target halfway through the third km it almost made me give up. I'll use it again but if it regularly gives me negative thoughts I'll be abandoning it.

Agree - lose this - especially when you have a pacer doing the worrying for you! :)

Good to meet you, well run.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Agree - lose this - especially when you have a pacer doing the worrying for you! :)

Good to meet you, well run.

Haha, you're right.

Cheers D, good to meet you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done buddy, brave running. You're too effusive in your praise. All I did was wait until the last mile or so to give you a bit of encouragement. The pacing up to that point was all yours. I have to say they were some very impressive guttural grunts and wheezing as you flew down the hill :pac:

Haha, that's my trademark. A kick is not a kick unless you're roaring like a speared animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report Conor and very well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Cracking time today and great to catch you all before the race!

The start sounds frustrating and we will certainly take the feedback on board......unfortunately some self regulation is required here.

Cracking time today and great to catch you all before the race!

The start sounds frustrating and we will certainly take the feedback on board......unfortunately some self regulation is required here.

Cheers C. Although it was a little frustrating I soon realised that it's also a family event with a lot of people inexperienced of such things. You guys put on a fantastic event for a small fee, that's my take away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB, super racing and report there C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great report C, well done :) it sounds like it was a great morning and I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with more 5k specific training

Thanks guys, still buzzing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Huge congrats on the PB

• Advertisement

Huge congrats on the PB

Thanks C

Lots of Cs around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super PB, well done!

Thank you V :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant PB C, couldn't be happier for you - great to see you get some reward for the hard training you did for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great racing last weekend, well done! Congrats on the nice shiny PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Congratulations on the PB. Great performance!

Thanks so much guys, couldn't have went better for me.

The big mistake I made last year was ignoring the importance of aerobic base building. Well, more to the point, not understanding the importance of base building.

I was looking up upcoming 5k races last weekend and saw Duleek at the end of February, got excited and almost made the exact same mistakes as last year.

I was looking at the plan, a 12 week plan, almost ready to jump into week 5 before I slapped myself in the face and copped myself on.

I had no consistency in December, some weeks as little as about 5 miles.

I need to get to 30mpw with consistency before attempting the plan.

So that's what I'm at.

That 20 mile bomb that went off in Dublin, in hindsight was the best thing to happen to me. Had it not, and say I came in sub 4 with a narrow pb I would probably be making last year's mistakes right now. Tackling a plan I'm not ready for, going from race to race not fully ready, not performing to my potential, getting injured and wasting the year.

Win or learn.

I'm doing 8 weeks of the 10 week base building plan in Faster Road Racing.

Started last Tue. 18 miles done for this week, mostly aerobic with an endurance long run. Endurance long runs are new to me, did a 7 miler this morning and loved it. It's basically progression lite, a narrower range. Start easy and build to between MP and HMP. Finished really strong this morning, feeling good.

There's a little speed and tempo work in the base phase too.

8 weeks of base and a 12 week plan, barring sickness will have me race ready towards the end of May. With a slight tweak it puts Bob Heffernan right into the sights. I'll think more about that.

The year's goals are sub 20 in a race and sub 20 at Corkagh parkrun.

Got a new pb last weekend at Corkagh so current pbs are as follows..

parkrun 21:39

5k 20:51

I'm confident it's doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That makes for a great honest read C. I think you are going to do brilliantly. Enjoy the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sheesh, the face slap reference made me think you had fallen. Thankfully not. :)

Advertisement