Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Haha, not yet thankfully.

You've reminded me I need to buy a head torch.

Things were going great until yesterday. Am in week 7 of 8. Base building to 30 mpw.

Have hit all weekly targets, endurance runs going really well. Wednesday mini sessions going great. Peeling myself out of bed to get it all done.

Felt that same tendon flare up yesterday. Was painful throughout the day and last night.

Skipped today's run, a 7 miler with 20 mins of tempo in the middle.

Have it strapped up now. Gonna have to rest a few days and let it ease off.

Am going to head to Amphibian King this weekend for new shoes. Gonna check if there's an issue with my current shoes. Wearing Brooks at the mo. They're like gloves on my feet but although my previous pair of NB weren't as comfortable, I never had this issue with them. More mileage in the Brooks though so I don't know. I'll bring both pairs with me anyway.

Really think it's an S&C issue though. Have been neglecting S&C the last six weeks. Gonna do some core and glute work while I'm resting, and get into a better routine of it generally.

My plan was to start the 12 week 5k program the week after next. Still aiming for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah sorry to here that C. Hope you get it fixed easily enough.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ah sorry to here that C. Hope you get it fixed easily enough.

Thanks K.
    Pretty annoying but I'll get there hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Sorry to hear that Laraze but do what you did before ice it strap it up and yep you need to do some band work for S&C to prevent it from happening again. some foam rolling along your shin and some stretching might help if all else fails get your self to a physio :)

• Advertisement

8 weeks of aerobic base completed today with a 10 miler in the rain and sleet.

Was a magnificent run, so enjoyable. I love running in the rain. Running by normies cowered under umbrellas wrapped up like mummies in your shorts is strangely satisfying.

Set it up that I'd finish up the Kyber.

Some new shoes last week (NB 1500v4) after a good consultation in Amphibian King and some tips from Baby75 have put my tendon issues to bed for now. Here's hoping.

One takeaway I got from the advice in AK was to run as many hills as possible (within reason obv) and use them as a glute and hamstring workout. Daragh there even showed me the correct stride to fully engage. So I finished today on Kyber. I've also been running a local loop strictly clockwise for the same reason.

Feeling incredibly fit right now, relatively speaking.

Feeling ready to take on this 12 week plan. Target is Bob Heffernan. That's 11 weeks away so I'll make a slight tweak.

I'm confident of sub 20 this year at both of my targets. (race and parkrun). Won't be too disheartened if I shade it at BH, I'll hit it.

I think I have a good sub 19 in me.

Excited. Hopefully the tendon plays ball.

Delighted to hear all is well with the tendon :) may it stay that way now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck with the new plan and the target. I absolutely love your attitude, you're so self-assured and dead right to be so too, i have no doubt you'll get your goal and beyond :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new plan and the target. I absolutely love your attitude, you're so self-assured and dead right to be so too, i have no doubt you'll get your goal and beyond :)

Thanks E. Glad to hear it doesn't come across as cocky. Was a little worried it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lazare wrote: »
    Thanks E. Glad to hear it doesn't come across as cocky. Was a little worried it did.

Not a bit C. I think it's great. Just wish you could bottle it and share it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

YAY.. GO C!!!
    Best of luck with the plan. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next phase of training goes for you. I ordered the Faster Road racing book last night, I'm thinking of using it for my next training block too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm thinking of using it for my next training block too

I have a better idea for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I have a better idea for you!

I'll talk to you on Sunday! :D

YAY.. GO C!!!
    Best of luck with the plan. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next phase of training goes for you. I ordered the Faster Road racing book last night, I'm thinking of using it for my next training block too

Cheers C :)

FRR is a fantastic book. Even if you don't follow any of the plans in it it's still a great read stuffed with sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

8 weeks of aerobic base completed today with a 10 miler in the rain and sleet.

Was a magnificent run, so enjoyable. I love running in the rain. Running by normies cowered under umbrellas wrapped up like mummies in your shorts is strangely satisfying.

Set it up that I'd finish up the Kyber.

Some new shoes last week (NB 1500v4) after a good consultation in Amphibian King and some tips from Baby75 have put my tendon issues to bed for now. Here's hoping.

One takeaway I got from the advice in AK was to run as many hills as possible (within reason obv) and use them as a glute and hamstring workout. Daragh there even showed me the correct stride to fully engage. So I finished today on Kyber. I've also been running a local loop strictly clockwise for the same reason.

Feeling incredibly fit right now, relatively speaking.

Feeling ready to take on this 12 week plan. Target is Bob Heffernan. That's 11 weeks away so I'll make a slight tweak.

I'm confident of sub 20 this year at both of my targets. (race and parkrun). Won't be too disheartened if I shade it at BH, I'll hit it.

I think I have a good sub 19 in me.

Excited. Hopefully the tendon plays ball.

Good stuff. But is it wise to talk of sub-19 before sub 20? Tempting fate!

Great to have that feeling fit sensation.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good stuff. But is it wise to talk of sub-19 before sub 20? Tempting fate!

Great to have that feeling fit sensation.

Haha, maybe. I do feel I have it in me but I also know it will be tough work. If I train smart and manage my body well there's no reason why I can't be at that level in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A great aim to have C; good to have these goals.Dedication (which you undoubtedly have) and proper training will get you to sub 19. I think Sub 20 is the big one mentally; after that hard work will get you to sub 19.

One I will definitely be following with interest.
    Haha, maybe. I do feel I have it in me but I also know it will be tough work. If I train smart and manage my body well there's no reason why I can't be at that level in 2020.

Cheers for the kind words C.

Might be a bit of a weirdo but I use a mix of imperial and metric in my training. All of my thinking around distances is in miles but I train in km.

Tuesday 5th March:

6.30am. 6 miles Aerobic finishing with 6x 12 sec hills and 6x strides. 5:34 km average.
    Hills felt a little too easy so not sure if the ones I used are suitable. Probably should be gassed on the last one but wasn't. Logistics though are tough when you need to do them at the end.
    Tendon gave me a few worries on this one. Did a small number of glute bridges that evening. More practicing how to do them than anything else.

Wed 6th March:

8 mile endurance run on the schedule but decided to rest. Very cautious with this tendon issue. Causing a lot of anxiety if I'm honest.
    Did a ton of glute work that evening. Mostly bridges and other exercises plucked from youtube.

Thursday 7th March:

6:30am. 8 mile endurance run. Felt amazing on this run. Don't know whether it was the glute work I did or not but my stride felt so good. So controlled. A lot of the time my stride feels kinda locked up and tight towards the end of a run if that makes sense. I felt really loose and in full control this time. I'm not sure if the work I did the night before could have that effect so quickly but something was different. Zero tendon issues too, or since. Started the run at around 5:55 km and finished on 5:15.
    Was ramping these up a little too aggressively during the base phase, trying to be a little bit more disciplined.

Average pace 5:31 km

Friday 8th March:

6:30am. 4x 6 min @ LT with 2 min jog. W/U & C/D.

Programmed the workout into my watch. Set it up with a 1.5 mile warm up and cool down. Plan called for 7 miles total so the maths meant 1.5 mile.
    I've two routes I can take, one has a steep hill at 1.5 miles, the other has a footbridge. Opted for the former as less awkward. So started my first rep at the bottom of that steep hill. Was fun :). Pace range for the LT bits was 4:28 - 4:35 km. Hit the paces well. Really enjoyed this workout, was on fire all day in work after it.

Rested Saturday, did a small amount of glute bridges.

Sunday 10th March:

9:20am. 9 mile Endurance.

Out and back. Pace plan was again, 5:55 building to 5:15. Was crazy windy, found it tough to hit the pace on the way back with the wind in my face. Felt like someone was pushing against my chest. Effort level was within range though so that's all that matters. Average 5:35 km
    Good run. Feeling good, feeling strong.

Total mileage: 30.26

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is it a Garmin 235 you have? The reason I ask is that I never preprogram my warmup or cooldown and just use the lap button press function. Very handy

• Advertisement

Is it a Garmin 235 you have? The reason I ask is that I never preprogram my warmup or cooldown and just use the lap button press function. Very handy

It is.

Maybe I should do that. I suppose I'm doing it to hit the mileage. Probably shouldn't worry too much about that on those sort of days.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I used to do the same but found it a pain on days when I was crunched for time. Very handy function. Nice week's running there by the way.

great week Laraze and nope not weird I do the same measure distance in miles and pace in KM :D unless we are both weird :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Can I sign up to the weird crew.....easy days and long run in miles and sessions at km pace most of the time! Races 10k and under I use km pace; ask me to convert km pace to mile pace and I would be all over the place!

Can I sign up to the weird crew.....easy days and long run in miles and sessions at km pace most of the time! Races 10k and under I use km pace; ask me to convert km pace to mile pace and I would be all over the place!

LOL, so would I :D

I made an attempt at a full conversion to miles last year but gave up as soon as the marathon was over.

Can't get my head around mile paces at all. Km is so much easier imo.

I made an attempt at a full conversion to miles last year but gave up as soon as the marathon was over.

Can't get my head around mile paces at all. Km is so much easier imo.

I recently changed Strava, Runalyze and Garmin to miles. It made the switchover much easier to adapt to. I did it cos coaches instructions are in miles and most of the logs I enjoy reading here are also in miles.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I recently changed Strava, Runalyze and Garmin to miles. It made the switchover much easier to adapt to. I did it cos coaches instructions are in miles and most of the logs I enjoy reading here are also in miles.

It being the main language spoken on here was my main reason for giving it a go.

I occasionally want to see my mile splits so I set up a fake Strava for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Lazare wrote:
    I occasionally want to see my mile splits so I set up a fake Strava for it.

That seems extreme! You can just change the settings from km to miles to look at them and then change back?!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    That seems extreme! You can just change the settings from km to miles to look at them and then change back?!

He's just weird!!

Advertisement