Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic transmission brake noise

• 23-07-2018 7:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Looking to get an automatic hyundai accent. During my test drive i observed that when i press brake pedal to change gear to R or D from P and release to move there is a big metal to metal voice on both cases. Happens only if i press break fully. Does not happen for any other gears like N.

Is this normal for an automatic ? Or there may be apparant issues ?

https://youtu.be/8Kk6iBNVVc4. Link for the issue. Hear from 14 seconds onwards..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It sounds more like the brakes slipping slightly than the gearbox. Are you sure the handbrake wasn't on as it's like the sound you get on a hill if you don't pull up the handbrake tight enough and the car starts to move slightly as the pads aren't tight enough on the disks.

If you think for a second it's the gearbox, run away. Putting an auto gearbox right is big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you ever driven an automatic before? Nothing sounds wrong to me there. The car will creep when in gear, that is to say that it will drive the car forward at a slow speed(or backward for that matter). So when you slowly lift off the brake pedal the car is trying to move forward, and it is making noise as you come off the brake. In normal driving you will generally just come completely off the brake rather than slowly doing so as in this video.

EDIT: Does the car brake fine otherwise? Any noise when slowing to a stop? Does it pull the steering one way or the other under braking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Was this in a Hyundai Accent automatic? I just fail to see how this is relevant if the car was something completely different. Who knows what caused your friends issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

EDIT: Does the car brake fine otherwise? Any noise when slowing to a stop? Does it pull the steering one way or the other under braking?

You are right. I am driving automatic first time....there is some noise when i brake hard to stop as well on D. Issue only happens when I break slowly...if i do it quickly no sound. No sound in Neutral either.

Car brakes fine while driving...hence i asked if i was doing the right thing...no other issues whatsoever...drives like charm.

• Advertisement

Tropheus wrote:
    It sounds more like the brakes slipping slightly than the gearbox. Are you sure the handbrake wasn't on as it's like the sound you get on a hill if you don't pull up the handbrake tight enough and the car starts to move slightly as the pads aren't tight enough on the disks.

Nopes no handbrake on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That sounds fecked to me.

Just went out to my own small car automatic. Nissan Note. This is the noise mine makes:

Very similar. No issues with mine, this is just the noise you hear when you put it in drive and start to lift off the brake slowly. Car pulls against the brakes. It's especially loud in these style cars because they're small and have little sound deadening.

OP, you'd be best advised to drive other cars anyway to get a feel for them.

Very similar. No issues with mine, this is just the noise you hear when you put it in drive and start to lift off the brake slowly. Car pulls against the brakes. It's especially loud in these style cars because they're small and have little sound deadening.

Thanks for that !! That is the same sound i was getting....same thing happens in reverse as well ?

This is what I got -

https://youtu.be/nlYtaXEk5SA

Mine did not make the noise in reverse. But I wouldn't over think it tbh. Mine was also reversing up hill and barely moving. Also mine has rear drums and not discs which might affect things.

I presume when driving it makes no funny noises? Does it accelerate okay? Have you floored it? Really when buying a car you should bring someone who knows a thing or two with you, or ask a mechanic to take a look.

• Advertisement

I presume when driving it makes no funny noises? Does it accelerate okay? Have you floored it? Really when buying a car you should bring someone who knows a thing or two with you, or ask a mechanic to take a look.

No other noises whatsoever...gearshifting seamless, acceleration pretty good..Its being sold by a reputed dealer and i am told its normal for an automatic....just wanted to get views up here... i like it and might get it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I didn't make a YouTube video but my car sounds similar too if I put it in D and take my foot off the brake with the handbrake left on.

I didn't make a YouTube video but my car sounds similar too if I put it in D and take my foot off the brake with the handbrake left on.

Thanks This is a bit different...sound is coming while releasing the foot brake slowly..

But looks like its a common behaviour for automatics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah I'd get that noise in that scenario too. As Alan said the engine is fighting the brakes to pull away so if the pedal isn't very firmly pressed it will groan like that.

Yeah I'd get that noise in that scenario too. As Alan said the engine is fighting the brakes to pull away so if the pedal isn't very firmly pressed it will groan like that.

But do you get sound while pressing the break fully as well ?

But do you get sound while pressing the break fully as well ?

No. If the brake is fully pressed then the car will go nowhere and there will be no noise. Which is exactly what you have posted in both of your videos. There is no issue here man, you just aren't familiar with automatics. Like I said you would be best advised to try some more automatic cars before buying anything, it'll allow you to get a better feel for them and to tell if there's any issue with this car.

No. If the brake is fully pressed then the car will go nowhere and there will be no noise. Which is exactly what you have posted in both of your videos. There is no issue here man, you just aren't familiar with automatics. Like I said you would be best advised to try some more automatic cars before buying anything, it'll allow you to get a better feel for them and to tell if there's any issue with this car.

Thanks thats comforting...its my ignorance all along !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It does sound like rear drum brake noise. I wouldn’t be certain there isn’t an issue there, but if there is it’s brakes and not transmission.

Advertisement