Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing bicycle helmet

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I've noticed my bicycle helmet probably needs a wash. I've been using it a lot and with the recent warm weather, I've been sweating a lot and have noticed a bit of a smell coming off it.

What's the best way to wash it? I saw something online about putting it into a washing machine with some clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

When you arrive home from a spin and your having a shower, rinse it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Yeah mine has velcro foam pads, so i made bought some replacements and can wash them out - they tend to be what gets smelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Most helmets have removable pads - take them out and wash them. I soak them in Milton solution to sterilise them too! I also wash the helmet in the kitchen sink with hot water and "hand-wash" detergent.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

You could start using a cap, or a bandana which hangs loose at the back. They can be thrown into the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Not to hijack the OP here but does anyone know where I can get replacement Velcro pads for my helmet? Mine are wrecked and I've been calling into bike shops I've passed over the last while but nowhere seems to sell them. It's a bog standard Bell helmet that every shop sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

benjamin d wrote:
    Not to hijack the OP here but does anyone know where I can get replacement Velcro pads for my helmet? Mine are wrecked and I've been calling into bike shops I've passed over the last while but nowhere seems to sell them. It's a bog standard Bell helmet that every shop sells.

Google is your friend .... https://www.bike-components.de/en/Bell/Pad-Set-p18685/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

benjamin d wrote: »
    duff cycles in santry were able to order in pads for a bell helmet i have which is ten years old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Replace every three years?

Damn...better buy a new helmet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine is ten years old. still going strong (or so i like to think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Replace every three years?

Damn...better buy a new helmet.

Dont think that is quite true.....someone linked a study here before about it...ill try and dig it out later, but basically it says that as long as it hasnt been in a crash or any visible signs of damage then the helmet should be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mine is ten years old. still going strong (or so i like to think).
    Keeks wrote: »
    Dont think that is quite true.....someone linked a study here before about it...ill try and dig it out later, but basically it says that as long as it hasnt been in a crash or any visible signs of damage then the helmet should be fine.

hmmpph fine.... *puts credit card away*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I think this is the article i was refering which has a reference to the study in it

https://road.cc/content/feature/241993-when-should-i-replace-my-bike-helmet

Basically manufactuers recommendations include a safety margin but if you look after your helmet then it will last a long time.
    That’s not to say the helmet will automatically be unsafe after five years, but as manufacturer we have to advise the customer: a helmet is a safety device and you really need to take care of it and change it in case of doubt. So we take this safety margin and advise you to change your helmet after five years of use.”

But if you want a new shiny helmet, then I’m sure you can fine some damage somewhere that will mean your old one is unsafe to use :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

During the heatwave, I've had to resort to a Bjorn Borg style sweatband under the helmet to stem the flow of salty sweat stinging my eyes. It looks absolutely ridiculous, but no-one notices it on the road.

jaysus, don't say that, they'll hear you in after hours and add that to the list of things which apparently make cyclists look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Keeks wrote: »

Me.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Basically once it's been crashed or showing signs of damage. Helmets up to 26 years old were tested and passed specifications.

If your really worried MET said 7 years.

In 2015 MEA Forensic reported on their extensive testing of used (but not crashed) bicycle helmets shows that the foam liners retain their performance over many years. Some of the helmets were as old as 26 years. They crash tested 675 helmets in their lab. Their analysis showed that there was no significant impact performance change with age. Their data including all 675 helmets tested produced only a 0.7g per year increase in impact readings at the higher drop height. After crash testing the helmets on a standard test rig, MEA took core samples from an uncrashed area of 63 helmets and tested them. This generated data based solely on the foam performance. Again, the findings indicate that helmet liner foam does not deteriorate with age.

plus, a lot of the supposed damage to helmets comes from UV damage - and i suspect that helmets in spain are exposed to a lot more UV, and ignores the fact that the polystyrene is covered by a shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I took the velcro padding off and threw them in the washing machine. Unfortunately two them kind of separated so there isn't as much cushioning between the velcro pads and my head but otherwise it was fine.

I washed the helmet itself with a sponge and warm soapy water. Used some Dettol disinfectant wipes on the straps.

yeah, the pads have disintegrated like that on me too. i think it's the sweat which creates the original problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Bung it in the dishwasher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

plus, a lot of the supposed damage to helmets comes from UV damage - and i suspect that helmets in spain are exposed to a lot more UV, and ignores the fact that the polystyrene is covered by a shell.

No, the euro regs specify that UV inhibitors are added to meet specification.

i just took mine into the shower with me. as well as my gloves, shoes, and backpack.

if you hear about any fish kills on the northside, wasn't me, guv.
    the gloves in particular were manky.

Advertisement