Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Camera's

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but in any case here goes, I'm looking for advice for a mini/easily mountable camera that can record and store up to video for a period of up to 24 hours as well as having enough charge to do so.........I'm trying to do a series low cost traffic count traffic for a course project at various junctions, nothing to do with security, I just want to set up a camera to record vehicle movements at and be able to differentiate cars from HGV's, motor bikes etc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you investigated the regulatory implications of your plan?

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/m/242.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

have you investigated the regulatory implications of your plan?

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/m/242.htm

Yes but I don’t Think it applies. I don’t intend capturing any data other than counting the number of the different types of vehicles. Not interested in anything that has a face or a number plate or anything else and I won’t be storing/keeping the data

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Yes but I don’t Think it applies. I don’t intend capturing any data other than counting the number of the different types of vehicles. Not interested in anything that has a face or a number plate or anything else and I won’t be storing/keeping the data......the regulatorary stuff is totally OTT

Yes but I don’t Think it applies. I don’t intend capturing any data other than counting the number of the different types of vehicles. Not interested in anything that has a face or a number plate or anything else and I won’t be storing/keeping the data......the regulatorary stuff is totally OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Ill delete when Im done counting the cars" isnt a get out clause under GDPR.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    "Ill delete when Im done counting the cars" isnt a get out clause under GDPR.

Care to elaborate. In any case GDPR is not what my query was about.....I’m willing to ‘take the risk’ of GDPR non compliance.......I’m not interested in number plates or anything like that. Looks like I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way as in site for hours with a clip board and do counts that way......what would happen if I recorded number plates as well as vehicle type manually as I sat at a junction with my clip board......would I get in trouble with police for violating GDPR....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Care to elaborate. In any case GDPR is not what my query was about.....I’m willing to ‘take the risk’ of GDPR non compliance.......I’m not interested in number plates or anything like that. Looks like I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way as in site for hours with a clip board and do counts that way......what would happen if I recorded number plates as well as vehicle type manually as I sat at a junction with my clip board......would I get in trouble with police for violating GDPR....?

Number plates aren't personally identifiable data.

The problem with recording them is that you will inevitably capture faces which means you're digitally storing personally identifiable data without seeking their consent, which does violate GDPR.

It's a total mindfcuk.

troyzer wrote: »
    Number plates aren't personally identifiable data.

The problem with recording them is that you will inevitably capture faces which means you're digitally storing personally identifiable data without seeking their consent, which does violate GDPR.

It's a total mindfcuk.

I will take that risk.....next time I take a picture of the children say in a public park where there are other children or adults around who happen to get in the back ground I will have to seek their concent before I keep the picture......

Can anyone give me advice on the original query....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I will take that risk.....next time I take a picture of the children say in a public park where there are other children or adults around who happen to get in the back ground I will have to seek their concent before I keep the picture......

Can anyone give me advice on the original query....?

You might be alright on legitimacy grounds by the way, the problem then is if there's an issue the burden of proof is on you to prove you're processing the data for a legitimate use.

Taking pictures in a private capacity means GDPR doesn't cover you. If you're a professional photographer though then yes, you do actually have to worry about people being in the background of your photos.

As far as your original question goes, where are you planning on mounting it?

Advertisement