Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite quick motion rollers - Any good?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Yes, I admit it. I'm a roller failure. Been there, tried that, ate carpet.

Need a new shared turbo soon though for the winter (it's coming) and we're thinking some rollers-for-dummies might make a nice change, and the idea of not having to swop bikes and wheels and cassettes and stuff every time is an attractive one.

The real motion elites seem to be discontinued but the quick motions are readily available and not too dear. We've no need of zwift or any of that.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No one at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

They're rollers, which you've tried already... They're decent enough as rollers go, not that quiet but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors... don't seem to wear tyres too much either. Like all rollers they take time to get used to, do it in a doorway with the frame either side of your shoulders and eventually your hands and you'll graduate from needing any sort of stabilization soon enough... there is something a lot more satisfying about them than the turbo but still do get very boring after a while though, and with boredom comes lack of concentration and when you stop concentrating on rollers...

They're rollers, which you've tried already... They're decent enough as rollers go, not that quiet but not loud enough to annoy the neighbors... don't seem to wear tyres too much either. Like all rollers they take time to get used to, do it in a doorway with the frame either side of your shoulders and eventually your hands and you'll graduate from needing any sort of stabilization soon enough... there is something a lot more satisfying about them than the turbo but still do get very boring after a while though, and with boredom comes lack of concentration and when you stop concentrating on rollers...

Noise won't really be an issue, but I was under the impression that they required a lot less skill than normal fixed rollers. - Am I wrong in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What makes you think those rollers wouldn’t any different to the ones you already tried and didn’t get on with?

I had a basic turbo and hated it so sold it and bought taco rollers, got the hang of it very quickly but hated them even more than the turbo so sold them too. Recently bought a turbo again (fluid version with handke bar adjuster) and use them in winter as a last resort. Still don’t particularly like them but at least I can watch tv when using them unlike the rollers which require a higher level of concentration.

Marketing.

There has to be something. Why else on earth would they be 800 quid as against a standard set of 200 quid rollers. All the marketing gumf says that the swaying motion fore and aft makes them much more user friendly - just hop on and pedal away, with much less of the learning curve of regular rollers.

That's why I'd like to hear from actual users. Otherwise, overpaying makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'd pay for that user friendly functionality if I could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

A quick Google puts them in the €350-400 range rather than €800, I can't see why any rollers would cost almost a grand.

It's funny, I was looking up rollers as well today..

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

As far as I can tell the the usp of these rollers is that they pack up quite small compared to other rollers, handy for if you're taking them racing etc etc

Quick motion are the foldable 400 euro version of the approx 800 euro e-motion model, and they're is also a b+ presumably smart or something one for 1200 euro.

Anyway it's becoming increasingly clear that no one bought one, nó or uses one and no one can answer my question. I guess the swift and turbo revolution has sidelined them.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/elite-real-e-motion-b-66571

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

fat bloke wrote: »
    Quick motion are the foldable 400 euro version of the approx 800 euro e-motion model, and they're is also a b+ presumably smart or something one for 1200 euro.

Anyway it's becoming increasingly clear that no one bought one, nó or uses one and no one can answer my question. I guess the swift and turbo revolution has sidelined them.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/elite-real-e-motion-b-66571

Ah I see, fair enough.

For something that used to be the only home training solution they do seem to be a bit sidelined. You do see a lot of them at races though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I can handle a melee for the last loaf of bread but letting the legs go soft is a line in the climate change sand.

https://wattbike.com/gb/product/atom

WANTbike, more like.

Will probably end up with rollers.

• Advertisement

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah for sure as you up the price scale for smart turbos the wattbike becomes a real option alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are they like the Tacx Galaxia Rollers? I have both Tacx and Elite rollers, of the non rocking kind, and they're both much of a muchness. If these are the Elite version of the Galaxia rollers (ie they're rocky) then they're very much easier to rider, they take some bounce out of it. They're a bit harder to get onto initially, as they move, but a chair or a bit of wall and your'e grand. I used them for a couple of club rollers sessions and preferred them to my regular static ones, but then again the unforgiving nature of the static ones make you a smoother rider #skillz The Elite ones have more resistance than the Tacx ones though.

Rollers ftw, I lose the will to live on a turbo.

Is it still the case that the atom is UK only? That was the case at launch iirc. Has the original trainer come down in price I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

AFAIK the only issue buying from here is the warranty doesn't cover transport costs, in the event of it being sent back to the UK, but you can buy it and have it delivered with an otherwise normal repair warranty.

Advertisement