Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy lawn

Options
  • 23-07-2018 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Hello

I want to preempt this with I haven’t a clue about gardening - so apologies.

See attached picture. Now, please note the existing grass is not great either !! However, as you can see there is an area where the grass is not there at all. This all happened cause there was trees overhanging this particular area and no light getting at them. I cut the trees and now light gets at this area and you can actually see it now ;)

Not sure if evident from pics but it’s onky a small area. 1 metre long maybe.
    I want to TRY and sow some grass seeds. Read some instructions online and seems I have to.

1. Rake up/disturb/ dig up the existing soil. (I’m not sure how deep or how aggressive I have to go)

2. Shake the grass seed. Not sure of how much. A couple of handfuls maybe.

3. Gently rake in. Not sure how gentle is gentle. Should the seeds be kinda hidden after raking in?

4. “Tread” the soil after this. Which I think means just gently stomped my down the area with you feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I did the exact same thing this year. Keep in mind that grass is really easy to grow, there is not too much involved. What I'd do is loosen the earth that is already there with a rake, you might need to get a watering can to dampen the area if it's very dry. This should only take a few minutes. Then you can take your grass seed and spread it over the loose soil. I bought my seed in B&Q and laid it fairly heavily. Then I just lightly covered it all with some top soil (just enough to hide it) and then lightly tapped it down with my foot. 3 weeks later or so it was growing stong.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pointless doing anything until late September
    Especially this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

I did the exact same thing this year. Keep in mind that grass is really easy to grow, there is not too much involved. What I'd do is loosen the earth that is already there with a rake, you might need to get a watering can to dampen the area if it's very dry. This should only take a few minutes. Then you can take your grass seed and spread it over the loose soil. I bought my seed in B&Q and laid it fairly heavily. Then I just lightly covered it all with some top soil (just enough to hide it) and then lightly tapped it down with my foot. 3 weeks later or so it was growing stong.

Thank you. When you say top soil. What do you mean. Just soil like in pic ?

obi604 wrote: »
    Thank you. When you say top soil. What do you mean. Just soil like in pic ?

You know, the big bags of muck you buy in homebase. You could use compost if you wanted.

Gave this a go in last half hour. Did all the steps in post 1.

Gently raked it in and treaded it.

I can still see most of the seeds I spread.

Should these be more a less hidden under a fresh layer of soil?

• Advertisement

Gave this a go in last half hour. Did all the steps in post 1.

Gently raked it in and treaded it.

I can still see most of the seeds I spread.

Should these be more a less hidden under a fresh layer of soil?

You really should have waited until autum as advised
    Sowing in summer is never advised
    Sowing in the middle of a drought even more so .

No harm to lightly cover them with a thin layer of top soil to stop the birds going after them

km79 wrote: »
    You really should have waited until autum as advised
    Sowing in summer is never advised
    Sowing in the middle of a drought even more so .

No harm to lightly cover them with a thin layer of top soil to stop the birds going after them

I know. I know - hands up.
    Do has this any chance of growing now?

It’s started raining soon after I did it and has been raining since......so has a decent amount of moisture hit abreast.

I know. I know.

It’s started raining soon after I did it and has been raining since......so has a decent amount of moisture hit abreast.

Given that it’s such a small area you can probably water it nightly for first few weeks with a watering can ....

I know. I know - hands up.

I would cover it with top soil as I advised. Some say it is not needed, but from experience the seed doesn't germinate well and birds will eat the exposed seed. Very lightly cover with soil is what I'd say.

Water with a watering can if needed, although with the light rain predicted for the rest of the week it would probably be fine.

I would cover it with top soil as I advised. Some say it is not needed, but from experience the seed doesn't germinate well and birds will eat the exposed seed. Very lightly cover with soil is what I'd say.

Water with a watering can if needed, although with the light rain predicted for the rest of the week it would probably be fine.

After you did the top soil......did you “tread” it. Or did you do the reading after shaking on the grass seeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

After you did the top soil......did you “tread” it. Or did you do the reading after shaking on the grass seeds

I wouldn't worry about doing anything else with it now as if it's wet treading it will only stick soil and seed to your boots and you'll end up with footmarks and holes. Just leave it be..growing grass is pretty idiot proof.

I wouldn't worry about doing anything else with it now as if it's wet treading it will only stick soil and seed to your boots and you'll end up with footmarks and holes. Just leave it be..growing grass is pretty idiot proof.

Thanks. Suppose it’s idiot proof if you have done it before and are used to it.........but when it’s your first time, it’s difficult to know all the timings and steps.

Believe me you'll consider yourself an expert in a months time :-).

What would one do with this ugly looking scenario - attached. It’s a dry patch in the middle of the grass which is just bare.

Should I do same as I did previously ( Dig/rake up a bit, sow, rake, thread, apply top soil ).

I know to do later in year, but just wondering.

What would one do with this ugly looking scenario - attached. It is a dry patch with no grass in the middle of the lawn. (If you would even call this a lawn!!)

Should I do same as I did previously ( Dig/rake up a bit, sow, rake, thread, apply top soil ).

I know to do later in year, but just wondering.

Don't worry about the time of year, there's enough rain forecast at the mo. Rake it vigorously to loosen it up, give it a good watering if it's not already wet, shake on seed, done! No need to tread as you're seeding already settled soil.

Don't worry about the time of year, there's enough rain forecast at the mo. Rake it vigorously to loosen it up, give it a good watering if it's not already wet, shake on seed, done! No need to tread as you're seeding already settled soil.

Thanks. Sugar - with the last job, it wasn’t wet when I shook on the seed. Was bone dry but then it rained

Thanks. Sugar - with the last job, it wasn’t wet when I shook on the seed. Was bone dry but then it rained

That's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You think that's patchy!! You should see our 'lawn' which is/ was well established for years. It's like a desert compared to your green oasis! But then we didn't have the luxury around here of turning on the hose and sprinkler in May/ June.

Just did this patch. Exactly as above. Grass seeds are still showing. How does this look ? (Few hours after watering gently)

• Advertisement

Just did this patch. Exactly as above. Grass seeds are still showing. Attached picture s a few hours after I gently watered it. How does this look ? (To me, does not look right and doesn’t look like grass will grow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just did this patch. Exactly as above. Grass seeds are still showing. Attached picture s a few hours after I gently watered it. How does this look ? (To me, does not look right and doesn’t look like grass will grow)

It will grow if it gets water. Grass will grow despite us.

I'd have cleared the weed in the area first though.

It doesn't matter whether the seed is showing..i never rake or water the soil after I've sown the seed as either tends to make the seed coverage patchy, which it looks like you've done.

Scatter some more seed very thinly over the bare areas and then just leave it be. There's plenty of rain forecast thurs/fri.

Hi

Is it best to sow grass seeds when the soil is dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just to tag on here. I did exactly what everyone advised not to and planted seed in around June. I assume I should just do the same thing again around now for better results?

Also - last time around I just picked up a big box of grass seed from the local hardware store. Is this grand? Or is something else a better bet?

Hi

Is it best to sow grass seeds when the soil is dry?

Anyone on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its better to be dry so the seed makes it down to the soil, if its wet it will stick on any existing grass.
    If you are not overseeding then it doesnt really matter.

Remember that the seeds will need to get wet every day (or twice a day if its very warm) until they germinate and grow a root, so likely 2-3 weeks.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its better to be dry so the seed makes it down to the soil, if its wet it will stick on any existing grass.
    If you are not overseeding then it doesnt really matter.

Remember that the seeds will need to get wet every day (or twice a day if its very warm) until they germinate and grow a root, so likely 2-3 weeks.

Thanks. What is ‘overseeding’?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Overseeding is where you already have grass on the lawn as opposed to seeding fresh, bare ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement