Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese carbon handlebars

Options
  • 23-07-2018 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Anyone out there using chinese carbon handlebars? Main question are they safe to use?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I use / used a couple of sets and none have failed on me of their own accord.
    Have a set of mad looking aero Cervelo branded ones that I used for two years sitting in the attic. Nothing wrong with them just wanted something else.
    We did a group but in here a few years back and afair no one had any issues with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Depends on whether you like your teeth.
    If you are not too attached to them go for it.
    That said a couple of crowns or implants will be many multiples the cost of a branded set from a reputable manufacturer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

No problems at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Don't know about handlebars but I have direct experience of a carbon Chinese wheel failing on a downhill with a good surface, was beside him at the time when it happened - wouldn't go for anything "cheap" again after seeing that. Cheap does not mean good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

RobFowl wrote: »
    Depends on whether you like your teeth.
    If you are not too attached to them go for it.
    That said a couple of crowns or implants will be many multiples the cost of a branded set from a reputable manufacturer.....

A valid point ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really depends on where you buy them as well, there are plenty of reputable Chinese manufacturers. Plenty of knock offs.

The benefit of buying from a supplier here though is immense, you have a legal footing in case of failure, a clear, simple returns and repairs policies and so on.

It really depends on how much value you place on those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a set of these handlebars on my winter bike. I have them for the last two winters. I'd say, I have done about 15,000-20,000kms on them.
    They are very comfortable and seem to suppress vibration better than the alloy bars, which they replaced.
    No dentist bills so far.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hylix-Ultra-Light-ERGONOVA-Full-Carbon-Compact-Road-bike-Handle-bar-31-8mm-180g/301853624698?hash=item4647e0c97a:m:m8U9n1T7eA8u4RFT5XWbWbQ

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

Thanks everyone for the advise ! Gonna stick with a genuine brand safety 1st

Advertisement