Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I specify the right amount of RAM?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently invested in a Lenovo T580 with Intel Core i7-8550U processor, 8GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD.

I was an X1 user for many years but wanted to trade the mobility of the X1 with it's 14" screen for the larger 15.6" screen of the T580 + the built in number pad on the keyboard as I travel a lot less these days.

Despite it's bulk relative to the X1's I'm very happy with the T580.

The only nagging question I have is whether I under spec'd with the 8GB RAM.

My typical usage is to have up to 20 Chrome tabs open (mostly resources I constantly use for work) + MS Outlook running and usually 2-3 other MS Office apps such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint. In addition I'll have the Win 10 WhatsApp IM client running and possibly Spotify or an IPTV client.

With the above all running I'm averaging about 6.5GB RAM usage out of the 8 available.

Is that efficient or have I under specified and should have gone for 12GB or 16GB RAM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Should be fine. Although you might run into trouble using more intensive stuff, i.e photoshop/cad applications/gaming. 8gb is the minimum nowadays. Is there room for anymore to be added?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Technically, you're not running out of RAM.
    You have a 2nd slot if you want to upgrade anyway.
    Any standard DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM should fit.

Disassembly guide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks for the info and link.

I hate buyers remorse and rarely experience it but felt a little twinge of it when I saw my normal usage was hogging 80% of the available RAM!!

I don't use photo editing or similar heavy apps and I do have a 2nd slot for RAM so if down the road I need to add more it's good to know (and have a guide) on how to do it.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Advertisement