Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gemma O'Doherty and Sophie Toscan du Plantier

• 23-07-2018 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Apologies if I missed an existing thread on this but has anyone any thoughts on the Sophie Toscan du Plantier article by Gemma O'Doherty in the recent Village Magazine?

Some things in it that I don't recall from the West Cork podcast, other things I just think are a leap too far - for example would she really care that much about drug dealing?

Anyone read it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Gemma O’Doherty is seen as a really brave and pioneering journalist by some folks. And is seen as a martyr for being sacked by Independent News and Media. But then you see her tweets and read her site and quickly realise she’s as mad as a bag of spiders. Conspiracy theorist, crank, rage against the machine sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The problem with Ireland is, you simply don't know who to trust, which is the fault of the people we should have trust in, like Media, Politicians, Institutes...leaving a vacuum for all sorts of people...

The Village Magazine does have a reputation for exposing stories that mainstream media stay away from....

Gemma O'Doherty is a stand out journalist on the Irish media landscape (by stand out, I mean she has paid a price for not toeing the line).

This is Ireland, where State Institutions have a long horrible record of inflicting hardship on innocent people.

The Garda she mentions (Ex Commissioner Martin Callinane, is a disgraced public figure)

After that, I don't know what to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah when I looked at her twitter timeline I dont think I can take her too seriously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Gemma may have been a good journalist but now she latches on to the cranks and the nutters and runs with conspiracy theories with the underlying tones being government collusion and cover-ups and as a result no one (at least no one of any importance) takes her seriously anymore. She's toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's very hard to take her seriously, but then again you just don't know in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Conspiracy theorist, crank, rage against the machine sort.

I'd agree with the bit in bold, the other two bits are complete horseshit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭emo72

Is she not entitled to be raging?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's a pity Gemma doesn't appear to have someone in her professional life to advise her on editing and output.

She could be a very important voice in some very murky stories but too often her joirnalistic voice gets lost in her conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Maybe I shouldn't have put Gemma O'Doherty in the title and just said "Recent Sophie Article"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Just read the article because of your link OP. Found it very interesting and quite well written. Obviously a bit of time and thought went into the summary. I don't know this Gemma O' Doherty lady, I have heard her mentioned before briefly in relation to the Mary Boyle case. Nothing I have seen written in this Sophie article or heard about in the Boyle stuff makes me think she is overly mad. All she speculates is possible. She seems to be investigating garda incompetence or corruption, from what I can make out - but I don't know much about her at all. I haven't checked anything else of hers. I have no idea if her theories are insane or justifiable but it is a great line to casually throw out though, to cast someone as a loon or conspiracy theorist or mad. Undermines them completely. That in itself is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Apologies if I missed an existing thread on this but has anyone any thoughts on the Sophie Toscan du Plantier article by Gemma O'Doherty in the recent Village Magazine?

Some things in it that I don't recall from the West Cork podcast, other things I just think are a leap too far - for example would she really care that much about drug dealing?

Anyone read it?

I read it and found it an interesting read. I haven't heard the podcast but have followed the stuff in the news over the years and find there are so many glaring problems with the case that painting Ian Bailey as a definite perpetrator is just ridiculous.

Some very troubling things in there though , in particular the piece referring to Maire Whealan , the then Attorney General and now Court of Appeal Judge. I remember the scandal when she appointed last year but don't remember much mention of an association with this case. It would make you wonder how far up the chain the corruption runs...
    The bizarre circumstances leading up to his resignation were fuelled by the discovery in 2013 of tapes of phone conversations unlawfully recorded at Bandon Garda Station, where the du Plantier investigation was headquartered. These included 36 conversations between gardaí and Marie Farrell, and about 18 recordings of conversations with Martin Graham. They only came to light as a result of a discovery order by Ian Bailey’s legal team.

In March 2014, on the day the Government revealed the existence of the secret recordings, Callinan resigned with immediate effect. It subsequently emerged that he had sought permission to destroy the tapes but the then Attorney General Máire Whelan ordered him not to. On the day before Callinan’s resignation, she informed the Taoiseach Enda Kenny of her belief that gardaí had been involved in widespread illegal activity.

This led to the establishment of the Fennelly Commission. It concluded that gardaí were prepared to “contemplate altering, modifying or suppressing evidence” that undermined their claim that Bailey was responsible.

Máire Whelan originally told the Commission that the phone-tapping scandal involved “a complete violation of the law” by gardaí and was a “total disregard” for the rights of citizens. But a spectacular U-turn followed when she changed her story and said she had exaggerated the facts and regretted her trenchant language.

In the eyes of a scandal-weary public, what looked like payback time materialised last year when Whelan was appointed as a judge to the Court of Appeal. The development caused uproar in the Dáil. Proper procedures had been ignored and it emerged that she had not even applied for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Gemma O’Doherty is seen as a really brave and pioneering journalist by some folks. And is seen as a martyr for being sacked by Independent News and Media. But then you see her tweets and read her site and quickly realise she’s as mad as a bag of spiders. Conspiracy theorist, crank, rage against the machine sort.

latest?cb=20131022181725

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    She’s a good writer and that can help mask the looniness a bit but I have to agree, she comes across a tad unhinged to me.

In fairness though if she has published anything that's untrue or implicated a person in anything they can prove they weren't involved with, wouldn't she have been sued for liable by now?
    It's not that difficult to secure a conviction over here, the onus is on the writer to prove they published factually correct information.

I think she's possibly bitten off more than she can chew, there are so many things out there that need some light shed and she might be better to concentrate on a few than on several. That said I follow her on Facebook and think she highlights some very important issues.

Example last week she put up a bit about TUSLA. We have 2 US residebt board members in TUSLA, last year we paid 6000 on flights back and forwards for them for meetings. Over 6000 was spent on an overnight stay in a hotel. 31,000 was awarded to one employee in expenses.
    While we have small kids left in homes with abusers because no one has gotten around to investigating due to lack of resources and kids staying in B&Bs without an adult because there's no Foster care provision.
    Why the hell is that not in our newspapers and on our TV?

Link to the post that contains evidence of her claims
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=613108245734845&id=100011070254271

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a pity Gemma doesn't appear to have someone in her professional life to advise her on editing and output.

She could be a very important voice in some very murky stories but too often her joirnalistic voice gets lost in her conspiracy theories.

True enough. Given her experiences though, she's bound to be prone to paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i'm a big fan of hers.

Given her type of journalism , she will get things wrong but I believe her to be on the right track.

We need more journalists like her not the sycophantic fanboys we get who cosy up to the elites for a few free dinners and a ticket to the rugby.

Nearly all mainstream journalists in Ireland are afraid to upset those that feed them news....to counteract this the press owners keep a few useful idiots as house cats like David Quinn, Fintan O'Toole and Gene Kerrigan to give the semblance of balance.
    But it's all a façade...

\

In fairness though if she has published anything that's untrue or implicated a person in anything they can prove they weren't involved with, wouldn't she have been sued for liable by now?
    It's not that difficult to secure a conviction over here, the onus is on the writer to prove they published factually correct information.

I think she's possibly bitten off more than she can chew, there are so many things out there that need some light shed and she might be better to concentrate on a few than on several. That said I follow her on Facebook and think she highlights some very important issues.

Example last week she put up a bit about TUSLA. We have 2 US residebt board members in TUSLA, last year we paid 6000 on flights back and forwards for them for meetings. Over 6000 was spent on an overnight stay in a hotel. 31,000 was awarded to one employee in expenses.
    While we have small kids left in homes with abusers because no one has gotten around to investigating due to lack of resources and kids staying in B&Bs without an adult because there's no Foster care provision.
    Why the hell is that not in our newspapers and on our TV?

Link to the post that contains evidence of her claims
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=613108245734845&id=100011070254271

She also named a very high profile rugby coach from a prestigious south dublin school and gave very graphic details of the child abuse alleged to have occurred, no other Irish media outlet reported on the abuse.

She has definitely been shunned by Irish media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lando Griffins OTHER HALF

Malayalam wrote: »

Found it very interesting and quite well written....

Obviously a bit of time and thought went into it....

I don't know this Gemma O' Doherty lady,

I don't know much about her at all.

I haven't checked anything else of hers....

Hi Gemma :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That's a dodgy case, as is the Mary Boyle one.
    She had an article on the Boyle case where she claimed there was a high level pedophile ring operating in the area.
    There is always the danger that she could be "leaked" information that verges on crackpot conspiracy theory that could easily be disproved and then will discredit any legitimate information she digs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Hi Gemma :)

Heh :rolleyes: silly billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thing about Gemma is that those who call her a crank never seem to be able to back it up. Yes for sure the issues she reports on involve Garda corruption but that is hardly news in this country.

Picking some of the main stories she has reported on over the last two years Im failing to see why people call her a crank-

Mary Boyle dissappearance- Docherty has 2 x retired Gardai on video saying political interference was brought to bear so not to question the main suspect. Main suspect is a Fianna Failer who still lives in the area today
    Father Niall Molloy murder- over 200 people in the house at a Fianna Fail wedding in Ber Cowens backyard (Clara,Co.Offaly) and the priest is murdered with no one ever facing justice
    Cynthia Owens- alleges she was raped and abused and became pregnant by two Gardai who were in a paedophile ring in the Dalkey House of Horrors story. Names the Gardai and they dont sue her, instead preferring to remain silent while the whole community know they have been outed as paedos.

In each of the above cases there are serious questions to be asked of politicians and Gardai. Gemma Docherty is asking these questions that the mainstream media ignore.

So if she is a crank as some on here claim then why has there been no justice for the murder of a priest at a wedding, the disappearance (and likely murder) of an 8 year old child and the outing of a paedophile ring in south county Dublin?

Ireland is such a small country, possibly too small for the truth to out peacefully. I'm pretty sure anyone telling the truth about things like Garda coverups will be branded nutters etc, Maurice McCabes was denounced as "disgusting" at a public hearing. There are too many in the country with too much to lose if we are to accept what's perfectly plain when the evidence is presented. I doubt she'll have too many fans among politicians or guards, guards families, the list will go on. I'm sure she will make some mistakes or overstep some marks but even if she was 100 percent all the time there'll be plenty happy to call her a liar or crazy conspiracy theorist while it serves their interests that what she reveals stays in the shadows.

Ian Bailey is an example of what could happen to any one of us if it's let go on too.

It always surprises me that there isn't more interest in discussing this case actually. It's a pretty blatant miscarriage of justice in our own back yard. We know witnesses were tampered with by Gardai, someone blackmailed to pretend they saw Ian Bailey close to the scene, essential large evidence in the form of a gate "lost", improbable evidence accepted as gospel, eg that a clump of hair found in her hand was her own hair, not her attackers, despite being told she put up a frenzied fight against a very violent attacker.

....and yet we would be here talking about Donald Trump etc when the public shining a light on miscarriages of justice here could actually change things. It would make you wonder about all our priorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Muahahaha wrote: »

So if she is a crank as some on here claim then why has there been no justice for the murder of a priest at a wedding, the disappearance (and likely murder) of an 8 year old child and the outing of a paedophile ring in south county Dublin?

You understand that all these various allegations and theory's that gemma comes out with these days are lacking one thing , any kind of proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nothing wrong with Tom Morello.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    You understand that all these various allegations and theory's that gemma comes out with these days are lacking one thing , any kind of proof

Is it lack of proof or the lack of Gardai willing to prosecute due to political interference? I would argue the latter, case by case:-
    Mary Boyle - 2 x Gardai on video stating there was political interference- what reason would they have to lie about this?
    Father Niall Molloy- dozens of witnesses were never even interviewed. Over 200 people at a wedding in a house where the priest is murdered and his body then removed from the bedroom to the bottom of the stairs. Garda investigation is a complete botch job.
    Cynthia Owens- proof is in the pudding here- she outed the two Gardai that had sexually abused her publically on Facebook and they havent sued her. Dont know about you but if someone outed me as a paedo and I was innocent I woould most certainly be suing.

Of course it is easy for you to believe that the Gardai are alter boys (despite everything that has gone on) because you have skin in the game. But behind the three cases that Docherty has focused on the most we have families, friends and relatives of the victims, all who have never seen justice to this day. Now if Docherty is a crank, as you claim, then all these families, friends and relatives of the victims must be cranks too for campaigning for justice. Thats a lot of people who are cranks. Or maybe the answer is that they are not all cranks and that some Gardai went out of their way to cover up crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Very interesting read tbh. She did great work exposing corruption in the Gardai and payed a heavy price for it.

I would draw parallels with the bank whistle-blower Jonathan Sugarman who equally exposed rampant irregularities in the banking sector prior to the crash. He gave articulate testimony on the matter.

The reason I link the two is that they both provided sterling testimony up front but due to increasing frustration with official Ireland they started to appear unhinged in their chase for retribution. Worse still they aligned themselves with the types of looneys who complain about everything, slowly eroding their credibility.

That shouldn't take from the substance of this article. The fact that this case remains unsolved 21 years later points to serious deficiencies in the gardai investigation. Bailey seems to have been targeted as a sort of oddball patsy but if they haven't been able to pin it on him after all this time suggests their case was built on sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Aidric wrote:
    That shouldn't take from the substance of this article. The fact that this case remains unsolved 21 years later points to serious deficiencies in the gardai investigation. Bailey seems to have been targeted as a sort of oddball patsy but if they haven't been able to pin it on him after all this time suggests their case was built on sand.

Bailey was named as the chief suspect for very compelling reasons. He had a known propensity to behave violently toward women, he admitted to committing the crime in an unguarded comment made to his neighbour and there were serious doubts about alibis both he and his partner provided regarding his whereabouts at the time the killing took place. This talk of conspiracies is utter hogwash. The investigation, or parts of it, was handled incompetently, yes. The most significant outcome of all is that in the intervening twenty one years no other suspect has been identified. Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Good, thought provoking piece to be fair - thanks for sharing.

I think the issue people have with Gemma is not so much that she's trying to shine a light on matters that seem suspicious. That is always a good thing and I'm very glad there are such people. But moreso the manner in which she engages - e.g. on social media. That shrill, paranoid, defensive to the point of being hostile, "I'm a victim" approach. And she appeals greatly to the kind of crowd that are always going on about "big pharma" and "sheeple".

If her approach were more quietly dignified like that of Justine McCarthy (also willing to speak out, and sacked by the Spindo) I think her reputation wouldn't be so damaged.

Good, thought provoking piece to be fair - thanks for sharing.

I think the issue people have with Gemma is not so much that she's trying to shine a light on matters that seem suspicious. That is always a good thing and I'm very glad there are such people. But moreso the manner in which she engages - e.g. on social media. That shrill, paranoid, defensive to the point of being hostile, "I'm a victim" approach. And she appeals greatly to the kind of crowd that are always going on about "big pharma" and "sheeple".

If her approach were more quietly dignified like that of Justine McCarthy (also willing to speak out, and sacked by the Spindo) I think her reputation wouldn't be so damaged.

Excellent point.

I would add as well though that us Irish are very subservient to power, leading to all kinds of abuse, we don't like a voice that puts us in a place where we have to challenge that subservience...its easier to write the messenger off as a crank...you are right, when her delivery is what it is it lends itself to even more hardened polarised opinions.

The reality is, for as long as I can remember, we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

Irish media is a huge part of the problem for citizens of this state, as uncomfortable as that might be for Irish people to realise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

She's doing what other journalists arent.

Ok shes the one who labels herself as the investigate journalist, but at the same time, I can't think of too many other investigative journalists that investigate, or, are permitted to go so off terrain and investigate.

The rest seem to think the red top reading public wants them to come up with snappy nicknames for common thugs.

On the whole I think she has theories worth listening to asks questions that remain to be answered.

As for the Du Plantier case, it's a solid article IMO.

She does grind some axes on twitter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,769 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The reality is, for as long as I can remember, we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

Such as?

The big problem for O Doherty is thats she's so disparaging of the media here the media club here tends to cast her as an outcast.

That, along with the fact that you couldn't have her on a live show for fear of what she'd say.

Such as?

Suing the Pope comes to my mind, which set iff the Ferns enquiry.

The Beef Tribunal another, ITV was where the first allegations were made.

Yeah, it's only two!

BBC also did great work exposing the NAMA corruption up north when RTE wouldnt touch it. Spotlight also did great work on Fr Brendan Smith, another one that went under the RTE radar

BBC also did great work exposing the NAMA corruption up north when RTE wouldnt touch it. Spotlight also did great work on Fr Brendan Smith, another one that went under the RTE radar

I understand that, but we need to be fair too. Some great exposure/reporting has been done by our own press.

*And the beef tribunal stuff came out in the Dail first and was then picked up by ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I understand that, but we need to be fair too. Some great exposure/reporting has been done by our own press.

*And the beef tribunal stuff came out in the Dail first and was then picked up by ITV.

Wasnt touched really by our own media

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wasnt touched really by our own media

I was responding to the over the top remark that
    we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

Anyone following proceedings in the Dail would have known about the story.
    And we have a good crop of TD's even today who have done sterling work on keeping people held to account.

Not denying that media has turned a blind eye to some stories but they have also exposed significant wrongdoings at times too.
    Fair is fair. People in the UK would also be critical of ITV and BBC around the same issues. Generally it depends on what the individual titles are invested in or who they are owned by.

What allegation would you like proof to? I will go to her twitter page and copy the proof and paste it here. And as others have pointed out, no one will sue her over her allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

JMNolan wrote: »
    What allegation would you like proof to? I will go to her twitter page and copy the proof and paste it here. And as others have pointed out, no one will sue her over her allegations.

What allegations has she made the someone could sue her for?
    Most of it seems to be "I know who dun it, but there is a big cover up".

I don't know if she is on to something or not, but I take most of it with a pinch of salt. The linking of Madeleine McCann to the Mary Boyle case in Donegal seemed to be extremely tenuous.

robbiezero wrote: »
    What allegations has she made the someone could sue her for?
    Most of it seems to be "I know who dun it, but there is a big cover up".

I don't know if she is on to something or not, but I take most of it with a pinch of salt. The linking of Madeleine McCann to the Mary Boyle case in Donegal seemed to be extremely tenuous.

This is the comment I was answering.

It specifically makes reference to allegations. That poster mentioned allegations. You should ask that poster about the allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There is loads of this mad stuff in the short history of our state.

Dónal Ó Lubhlaí and the missing tape AND transcript from 1991 'investigation' - how convenient.
    The whole 'boy in the attic' thing that happened in Palmerstown in Dublin in 1973. Completely dodgy police approach. Just left there. Move along.

I can't fight against such a thing. I can only hope it never visits my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I only knew her name for reasons in your first two sentences. Her tweets then started showing up in the "Irish Media" section of my twitter feed and I was like WTF, this can't be the same person can it? It's bizarre, as too are some of her cheerleaders there. Some really off the wall conspiracy theories put forward and alleged to on a regular basis.
    Thing about Gemma is that those who call her a crank never seem to be able to back it up.

She pretty much backs it up herself, nobody needs to. She may hit something with some stories, others are off the wall.

There's plenty of Ian Bailey in the media, I listened to a long interview with him a couple of weeks ago during drive time radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Gemma is a fcuking nutter. She blocked me on Twitter when I asked her how her Maddie McCann investigation in Donegal was progressing

Hurrache wrote: »

She pretty much backs it up herself, nobody needs to. She may hit something with some stories, others are off the wall.

As I said in an earlier post people cannot back up their allegations that she is a crank and I pointed out three of the main cases she is investigating- Mary Boyle, Father Niall Molloy and Cynthia Owens. No-one yet has come on this thread to refute what Gemma (and the victims) are calling facts in these cases.

I mean its all very well to call someone a crank online but if you cant back it up with a solid argument as to why she is a crank then all it amounts to is just vacuous name calling, the stuff of playgrounds.

I think half the problem in Ireland is that we are hard wired to believe that the Gardai are altar boys and when someone like Gemma challenges that notion people stick their fingers in their ears and shout conspiracy theory. The problem with that is there is already stacks of evidence that the Gardai is a corrupt force, planting bombs & weapons, heroin trafficking, framing murder suspects are all just part of their recent modus operandi.

Benildus wrote: »
    Gemma is a fcuking nutter. She blocked me on Twitter when I asked her how her Maddie McCann investigation in Donegal was progressing

Was that all?

What did you expect her to do?

As I said in an earlier post people cannot back up their allegations that she is a crank and I pointed out three of the main cases she is investigating- Mary Boyle, Father Niall Molloy and Cynthia Owens. No-one yet has come on this thread to refute what Gemma (and the victims) are calling facts in these cases.

I don't think anyone said she's a crank specific to those cases. Look at the broader picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did she end ip offering any proof/opinions about Madeline McCann?

I was responding to the over the top remark that

Anyone following proceedings in the Dail would have known about the story.
    And we have a good crop of TD's even today who have done sterling work on keeping people held to account.

Not denying that media has turned a blind eye to some stories but they have also exposed significant wrongdoings at times too.
    Fair is fair. People in the UK would also be critical of ITV and BBC around the same issues. Generally it depends on what the individual titles are invested in or who they are owned by.

The two examples were the Beef Tribunal and Child Abuse sex scandals, I never remember Irish media, RTE or The Irish Times ever exposing scandals of national importance....they were the first time mainstream media brought national abuse scandals and corruption to national attention.

What stories have Irish media turned a blind eye to? Do you think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement