Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gemma O'Doherty and Sophie Toscan du Plantier

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Muahahaha wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post people cannot back up their allegations that she is a crank and I pointed out three of the main cases she is investigating- Mary Boyle, Father Niall Molloy and Cynthia Owens. No-one yet has come on this thread to refute what Gemma (and the victims) are calling facts in these cases.

I mean its all very well to call someone a crank online but if you cant back it up with a solid argument as to why she is a crank then all it amounts to is just vacuous name calling, the stuff of playgrounds.

I think half the problem in Ireland is that we are hard wired to believe that the Gardai are altar boys and when someone like Gemma challenges that notion people stick their fingers in their ears and shout conspiracy theory. The problem with that is there is already stacks of evidence that the Gardai is a corrupt force, planting bombs & weapons, heroin trafficking, framing murder suspects are all just part of their recent modus operandi.

your asking people to produce proof that gemma is a crank ?

as soon as gemma offers some actual proof of her conspiracies she will become believable.

one of your suggestions s that because two people didn't respond to allegations that they were peados that it must be true !

its laughable really

Ipso wrote: »
    Did she end ip offering any proof/opinions about Madeline McCann?

did she fcuk !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

mynamejeff wrote: »

as soon as gemma offers some actual proof of her conspiracies she will become believable.

one of your suggestions s that because two people didn't respond to allegations that they were peados that it must be true !

its laughable really

If someone is named in a publication as being a Child Abuser, and makes no effort to clear their name that would be incredibly odd.

I've just read her latest piece....it is very hard to argue with any of it. https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/24/they-are-laughing-at-me-and-you/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Benildus wrote: »
    Exactly

Sorry, I didn't even realise she was on to that as well.

Seems a legitimate question now!

Weird case too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Gemma O’Doherty is seen as a really brave and pioneering journalist
    What has she claimed that has been disproven?
    Benildus wrote: »
    Gemma is a fcuking nutter. She blocked me on Twitter when I asked her how her Maddie McCann investigation in Donegal was progressing
    But you're just an anonymous waste of electrons. Why would she bother with you?

What stories have Irish media turned a blind eye to? Do you think?
    The most obvious ones are the Magdalen laundries through their existence and the Irish sweepstakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If someone is named in a publication as being a Child Abuser, and makes no effort to clear their name that would be incredibly odd.

I've just read her latest piece....it is very hard to argue with any of it. https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/07/24/they-are-laughing-at-me-and-you/

She likes to ramble on doesn't she? She would be better sticking to one point rather than shotgunning out every single problem she can think of.

The most obvious ones are the Magdalen laundries through their existence and the Irish sweepstakes.

They also missed the endemic planning corruption in Dublin, that was revealed in the Mahon Tribunal.

If it wasn't for P Flynns extraordinary performance on the Late Late Show one evening, we would never have gotten to hear the account of Tom Gilmartin, we would have no idea how dysfunctional this state actually is.

They also missed the endemic planning corruption in Dublin, that was revealed in the Mahon Tribunal.

If it wasn't for P Flynns extraordinary performance on the Late Late Show one evening, we would never have gotten to hear the account of Tom Gilmartin, we would have no idea how dysfunctional this state actually is.
    We are still told that the reason for the lack of high rise in Dublin is to preserve the view.
    We are told that the tramlines were ripped up 'just because'.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    I don't think anyone said she's a crank specific to those cases. Look at the broader picture.
    What does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

dense wrote: »
    Was that all?

What did you expect her to do?

She's been engaging in regular vaccine conspiracies, she claims to have solved Madeleine McCann based on YouTube videos she's watched. So basically regurgitation of existing theories. Then ties it all back into Boyle bizarrely.

batgoat wrote: »
    She's been engaging in regular vaccine conspiracies, she claims to have solved Madeleine McCann based on YouTube videos she's watched. So basically regurgitation of existing theories. Then ties it all back into Boyle bizarrely.
    There's none of that in the linked article.

Is Niall Fennelly a conspiracy theorist as well?

There's none of that in the linked article.

Is Niall Fennelly a conspiracy theorist as well?

I'm afraid to ask why you asked that question.

I'm afraid to ask why you asked that question.
    Then you clearly haven't read the linked article and are someone with an axe to grind against Gemma O'Doherty. Which is odd.

Then you clearly haven't read the linked article and are someone with an axe to grind against Gemma O'Doherty. Which is odd.

i admit i got bored half way down the broadsheet article so i went back to it. it doesnt mention him.

• Advertisement

i admit i got bored half way down the broadsheet article so i went back to it. it doesnt mention him.
    There is no broadsheet article. the link to broadsheet is a transcript of a talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

What has she claimed that has been disproven?

But you're just an anonymous waste of electrons. Why would she bother with you?

Irony

You see Gemma does not engage on Twitter with people who disagree with or even question her in a calm reasoned manner, instead she simply blocks people. All this does is ensure that she is in a vacuuum of like-minded nutjob conspiracy theorists and 'fans'.

There is no broadsheet article. the link to broadsheet is a transcript of a talk.

I shall rephrase. Her talk does not mention him.

I shall rephrase. Her talk does not mention him.
    He is mentioned in the linked article. I simply do not understand why you keep mentioning broadsheet.

She seems to be making some significant logical jumps from Gardai framing Bailey to M Toscan du Plantier. That said perhaps she knows something that she cannot say because of our absurd libel laws. There used to be a site called cogar which was essentally a 'department of libel' style page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I liked the transcript of her speech to the new summer school on broadsheet. Excellent summing up of the media in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So I was right, you have nothing to back it up with. Ok so, name calling is the sum total of your argument :rolleyes:

its laughable really

Well actually one of the Gardai did respond to the allegations of him being a paedo- he went on radio and the interview he did and his denials were far from convincing. But thats not the point- are you seriously telling me that if someone called you a paedo in public, published it on Facebook, gave dates and details of the sexual abuse you would not sue them for defamation? I mean lets be real here, nobody allows their reputation to be attacked like that in public if they are innocent. Those two Gardai in Dalkey have been accused of heinous crimes against children and yet they done nothing about it. Their behaviour smacks of guilt and if they were really innocent then they have a slam dunk defamtion case that is worth tens of thousands of euro to them. Rather strange they dont take it and instead allow their reputations to be defamed all over Dun Laoighire and Dalkey as well as nationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

In fairness to her, she got an awful time of it when she was sacked after doorstepping the commissioner over penalty points. Her bosses should have protected her, instead she was thrown under a bus. She has every right to hold a grievance. She'll probably never get a job again, and her crime was basically just doing her job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So I was right, you have nothing to back it up with. Ok so, name calling is the sum total of your argument :rolleyes:

Well actually one of the Gardai did respond to the allegations of him being a paedo- he went on radio and the interview he did and his denials were far from convincing. But thats not the point- are you seriously telling me that if someone called you a paedo in public, published it on Facebook, gave dates and details of the sexual abuse you would not sue them for defamation? I mean lets be real here, nobody allows their reputation to be attacked like that in public if they are innocent. Those two Gardai in Dalkey have been accused of heinous crimes against children and yet they done nothing about it. Their behaviour smacks of guilt and if they were really innocent then they have a slam dunk defamtion case that is worth tens of thousands of euro to them. Rather strange they dont take it and instead allow their reputations to be defamed all over Dun Laoighire and Dalkey as well as nationally.

Sample crank statement from O'Doherty as she backed S the anti hpv vaccine gang last year. One that very much so was conspiracy turf.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/863079471703896064?s=19

Here's another which is a key part of her conspiracy about McCanns. Body language proves they did it!
    https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/950336824735563776?s=19

This is all very much so conspiracy turf. For the record, I do think she was subject to some pretty awful treatment and did uncover issues. However for the last few years it's been a constant sway towards conspiracies of the most nonsensical nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

batgoat wrote: »
    Sample crank statement from O'Doherty as she backed S the anti hpv vaccine gang last year. One that very much so was conspiracy turf.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/863079471703896064?s=19

Here's another which is a key part of her conspiracy about McCanns. Body language proves they did it!
    https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/950336824735563776?s=19

This is all very much so conspiracy turf. For the record, I do think she was subject to some pretty awful treatment and did uncover issues. However for the last few years it's been a constant sway towards conspiracies of the most nonsensical nature.

Yes, being anti-establishment and not "mainstream" is not good enough.
    Once you veer into the conspiracy realm, everything you touch is tainted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

I mean lets be real here, nobody allows their reputation to be attacked like that in public if they are innocent. Those two Gardai in Dalkey have been accused of heinous crimes against children and yet they done nothing about it. Their behaviour smacks of guilt and if they were really innocent then they have a slam dunk defamtion case that is worth tens of thousands of euro to them. Rather strange they dont take it and instead allow their reputations to be defamed all over Dun Laoighire and Dalkey as well as nationally.

Well put. I think this case is so horrendous the public shys away from even wanting to know the details.

I have nothing to back up the fact that she has nothing to back up what she says ? really thats your argument is it ?
    i get the feeling im wasting my time here ..... lol

you asserted that the fact that the two people accused didnt come out and deny it was a sign that they were guilty and that gemma was in fact correct . now that you have disproven your own initial assertion your using it as proof that you were in fact right all along ? ?

lol come on now can you not see it your self ? lol this thread is in the wrong pace methinks

I have nothing to back up the fact that she has nothing to back up what she says ? really thats your argument is it ?
    i get the feeling im wasting my time here ..... lol

you asserted that the fact that the two people accused didnt come out and deny it was a sign that they were guilty and that gemma was in fact correct . now that you have disproven your own initial assertion your using it as proof that you were in fact right all along ? ?

lol come on now can you not see it your self ? lol this thread is in the wrong pace methinks

I dont know what kind of gobbeldegook that post is but I think you are confusing even yourself.

Tell us Jeff do you believe the allegations of Cynthia Owen or do you think the two Gardai accused of sexual abuse and being members of a paedophile ring in Dalkey have no case to answer? Ill leave this here to help inform your answer https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/
    Even though I already know that your default position on Boards is that An Gardai could never be involved in crime whatsoever :rolleyes:

I mean you are now claiming that innocent Gardai would allow someone to call them paedos in public on Facebook and that their response to that is the sum total of nothing. If they are innocent why are they not coming out fighting as any normal person would do? I think we all know the reason but some are so blind they dont want to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe the fact that one of the men has died has made it difficult for him to take legal action and the spacer who made the allegation hasnt a shred of evidence and no funds

Cynthia Owen has no money so what would be the purpose of suing her.
    More to the point what does this have to do with G O'D ??
    I dont know what kind of gobbeldegook that post is but I think you are confusing even yourself.

Tell us Jeff do you believe the allegations of Cynthia Owen or do you think the two Gardai accused of sexual abuse and being members of a paedophile ring in Dalkey have no case to answer? Ill leave this here to help inform your answer https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/
    Even though I already know that your default position on Boards is that An Gardai could never be involved in crime whatsoever :rolleyes:

I mean you are now claiming that innocent Gardai would allow someone to call them paedos in public on Facebook and that their response to that is the sum total of nothing. If they are innocent why are they not coming out fighting as any normal person would do? I think we all know the reason but some are so blind they dont want to see it.

Edgware wrote:
    Maybe the fact that one of the men has died has made it difficult for him to take legal action and the spacer who made the allegation hasnt a shred of evidence and no funds

Cynthia Owen has no money so what would be the purpose of suing her. More to the point what does this have to do with G O'D ??

So ye have access to her bank accounts now?
    Defamation actions.arent just about money, they are about clearing your name. This retired Garda lives in Dalkey and the whole community know he has been accused as a paedo, I mean who wouldn't defend themselves under such an accusation if it were false? That's the lovely thing about defamation- if you are telling the truth you can shout it from the rooftops which is exactly what Cynthia Owens has being doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The two examples were the Beef Tribunal and Child Abuse sex scandals, I never remember Irish media, RTE or The Irish Times ever exposing scandals of national importance....they were the first time mainstream media brought national abuse scandals and corruption to national attention.

What stories have Irish media turned a blind eye to? Do you think?

As I said in reacting to your over the top statement 'if it wasn't for the BBC and ITV ...etc' the media in all countries is not perfect.

Our own are far from it but many within it have revealed information of national importance over the years.

On Gilmartin, what happened to him was not easily seen and nobody would have known about it until P. Flynn annoyed him. The media here were not behind the fence when he went to them with the full story.

Credit where credit is due.

So ye have access to her bank accounts now?
    Defamation actions.arent just about money, they are about clearing your name. This retired Garda lives in Dalkey and the whole community know he has been accused as a paedo, I mean who wouldn't defend themselves under such an accusation if it were false? That's the lovely thing about defamation- if you are telling the truth you can shout it from the rooftops which is exactly what Cynthia Owens has being doing

Somebody who didnt have the 10's of thousands required to take a case for defamation?

Somebody who didnt have the 10's of thousands required to take a case for defamation?

The costs get awarded to the winner. If the retired Garda is telling the truth then he has nothing to fear from a court case and should be welcoming the opportunity to clear his name.

But as it stands right now Cynthia Owen is clearly the only one being fearless here. On the other hand the retired Garda has done nothing to defend her accusation that he is a paedo and he raped her as a child. He must not care about his own reputation in the Dalkey community one bit if he is innocent and willing to let that one slide IMO.

The costs get awarded to the winner. If the retired Garda is telling the truth then he has nothing to fear from a court case and should be welcoming the opportunity to clear his name.
    well no. if he wins he can chase her for his costs. if she doesnt have the money he has to pay his lawyers himself.
    But as it stands right now Cynthia Owen is clearly the only one being fearless here. On the other hand the retired Garda has done nothing to defend her accusation that he is a paedo and he raped her as a child. He must not care about his own reputation in the Dalkey community one bit if he is innocent and willing to let that one slide IMO.

easy to be fearless when you have nothing to lose.

just because you dont understand it doenst make it gobbeldegook , no one else seems to be confused though .

why would any one give more air time to some one who is without any evidence accusing them of a crime ? Most of the time nutters are best ignored and ireland and the internet is full of nutters .

do you know how many false or vexatious complaints are made against gardai ?

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/publications/statistics/gsoc-operations/main-outcomes-allegations-january-december-2016/

As I said in reacting to your over the top statement 'if it wasn't for the BBC and ITV ...etc' the media in all countries is not perfect.

Our own are far from it but many within it have revealed information of national importance over the years.

On Gilmartin, what happened to him was not easily seen and nobody would have known about it until P. Flynn annoyed him. The media here were not behind the fence when he went to them with the full story.

You're a ticket Francie...

You accuse me of making an over the top statement... white collar crime (which is a scourge in Irish society) in this country has always been woefully under reported, investigative journalism is supposed to expose hidden abuses...not wait until the dogs on the street know about it and then report it...or a media outlet from another state exposes it...

Look at what is happening with Bertie Ahern, this utter gangster gets a lot of media exposure and never gets asked any awkward questions....until he is in front of a media outlet from another country that is... https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bertie-ahern-walks-out-of-tv-interview-after-facing-questions-about-mahon-tribunal-838524.html

"credit where credit is due"??? Give me strength!!!

Don't be ridiculous. Gilmartin isn't an isolated case Owen O'Callaghan bribed dozens of people and made a huge fortune (and did huge damage) The Fine Gael Mayor of Cork Des Cahill called him a visionary.

So the German media is better because it got no answer to the question??? Just as any one in the Irish media would get. :confused:

Your statement is factually over the top..to say you have had to depend on only ITV and the BBC for the revelation of serious malpractice and abuses is just wrong.

Don't be ridiculous. Gilmartin isn't an isolated case Owen O'Callaghan bribed dozens of people and made a huge fortune (and did huge damage) The Fine Gael Mayor of Cork Des Cahill called him a visionary.

I never said it was. :confused:

• Advertisement

So the German media is better because it got no answer to the question??? Just as any one in the Irish media would get. :confused:

Your statement is factually over the top..to say you have had to depend on only ITV and the BBC for the revelation of serious malpractice and abuses is just wrong.

You sound like you work in Irish media!!

Who do you depend on to expose white collar crime in Ireland Francie?

I never said it was. :confused:

You said it wouldn't have been easy to work out what was happening to him.

The dogs on the street knew about it, especially in media circles...ever hear of Joe McAnthony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

You sound like you work in Irish media!!

Who do you depend on to expose white collar crime in Ireland Francie?
    Prime Time Investigates is pretty decent I think.

You said it wouldn't have been easy to work out what was happening to him.

The dogs on the street knew about it, especially in media circles...ever hear of Joe McAnthony?
    Gilmartin only told his story after Flynn annoyed him.

I didn't say Irish media (I don't work in it but have consumed it for a lifetime, which you don't seem to have) was 'perfect'.
    It has the same fraught relationships with state and advertisers as it has anywhere.

I was merely refuting your over the top claim.

Prime Time Investigates is pretty decent I think.

Fr Reynolds in Galway wouldn't agree... https://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/308846-reynoldsk/

As someone from Limerick, which had been on the receiving end of a few of these "documentaries"...I probably see a style that most don't...

I didn't say Irish media (I don't work in it but have consumed it for a lifetime, which you don't seem to have) was 'perfect'.
    It has the same fraught relationships with state and advertisers as it has anywhere.

Did you ever hear of a man called Joe McAnthony?

• Advertisement

Did you read Tom Gilmartins book?

Did you ever hear of a man called Joe McAnthony?

Yes.

And plucking single examples is not going to prove your over the top claim. Just as one or two examples of a foreign media exposing something isn't proof of your claim.
    It was a nonsense claim because it just isn't true nor fair.

No media is perfect anywhere.

Yes.

And plucking single examples is not going to prove your over the top claim. Just as one or two examples of a foreign media exposing something isn't proof of your claim.
    It was a nonsense claim because it just isn't true nor fair.

No media is perfect anywhere.

So you've heard of him...and yet you still believe that exposing what was happening to Tom Gilmartin would have been difficult?

He was the last of the great investigative journalists...he is long gone, couldn't get work anywhere in Irish media....

No media is perfect, I agree with that....but some are way worse than others, so please, I'll ask again, what Irish media outlet do you trust?

So you've heard of him...and yet you still believe that exposing what was happening to Tom Gilmartin would have been difficult?

He was the last of the great investigative journalists...he is long gone, couldn't get work anywhere in Irish media....

No media is perfect, I agree with that....but some are way worse than others, so please, I'll ask again, what Irish media outlet do you trust?

Here is what you said:

we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

It is factually wrong and over the top.

Going off in tangents isn't going to prove the above.

I don't 'trust' any media, I 'trust' my own intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

emo72 wrote: »
    In fairness to her, she got an awful time of it when she was sacked after doorstepping the commissioner over penalty points. Her bosses should have protected her, instead she was thrown under a bus. She has every right to hold a grievance. She'll probably never get a job again, and her crime was basically just doing her job.

there is doing your job and then there is doing your job the way your superiors want you to do.

Two completely different things. unfortunately for her she didn't realise that.

But now, every journalist in the rep of Ireland knows how to do their job. And even better they know what happens if they don't do it.

Rock the boat dont rock the boat baby rock the boat dont rock the boat over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement