Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gemma O'Doherty and Sophie Toscan du Plantier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Here is what you said:

It is factually wrong and over the top.

Going off in tangents isn't going to prove the above.

I don't 'trust' any media, I 'trust' my own intelligence.

I'm not going off on any tangents, what has happened to Gemma O'Doherty is very similar to what happened to Joe McAnthony 40 years ago, his sin was attempting to expose the actions of a well known North Dublin FF Politician...his story got canned and he was ostracised as well.

If you cannot see the parallel between the consequences of both then I can't help you!

What annoys me most about Irish people is our ability to dig our heads into the sand and accept the standards we are subjected to across our major institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm not going off on any tangents, what has happened to Gemma O'Doherty is very similar to what happened to Joe McAnthony 40 years ago, his sin was attempting to expose the actions of a well known North Dublin FF Politician...his story got canned and he was ostracised as well.

If you cannot see the parallel between the consequences of both then I can't help you!

What annoys me most about Irish people is our ability to dig our heads into the sand and accept the standards we are subjected to across our major institutions.

Which doesn't prove your theory, I will post it again:
    we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

The above is factually wrong and unfair to boot. Please revise.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/29/why-has-irelands-mainstream-media-turned-its-back-on-mary-boyle

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/sep/17/irish-independent-ireland

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/19/irish-investigative-reporter-lashes-media-bosses-for-newsroom-timidity

You are not the authority on who is factual and unfair.

I have given loads of examples of where Irish media have neglected their duty in investigative journalism.

You have every right to be a choir boy for Irish media, but I also have a right to my opinion.

I haven't presented any theory, what the f##k are you on about...i have expressed an opinion....one you can't seem to fathom...that is your problem, not mine.

I haven't presented any theory, what the f##k are you on about...i have expressed an opinion....one you can't seem to fathom...that is your problem, not mine.

You have expressed an opinion and you are entitled to it. I also have a right to contest it.

And this is factually wrong and unfair and will remain so no matter how many articles you post.

we have had to depend on ITV and the BBC to inform us of serious abuses of power.

There are as many examples of the BBC and ITV blind eyeing stories and making stuff up about things in Britain as there are here.

That doesn't make it right for me to have the opinion that I have to depend on RTE to tell me what is going on in Britain.
    Media is the same anywhere, as I said. Some good and some bad.

You have expressed an opinion and you are entitled to it. I also have a right to contest it.

And this is factually wrong and unfair and will remain so no matter how many articles you post.

There are as many examples of the BBC and ITV blind eyeing stories and making stuff up about things in Britain as there are here.

That doesn't make it right for me to have the opinion that I have to depend on RTE to tell me what is going on in Britain.
    Media is the same anywhere, as I said. Some good and some bad.

You have a right to your opinion, you do not have the right to demand I change my opinion.

Your attitude to Irish media actually explains a lot...

You have a right to your opinion, you do not have the right to demand I change my opinion.

Your attitude to Irish media actually explains a lot...

I think you have changed your opinion but are having difficulty admitting that it has no basis in fact or substance.

I can see by your last sentence you probably want to go on an abusive tangent now, I will leave it there so.

I think you have changed your opinion but are having difficulty admitting that it has no basis in fact or substance.

I can see by your last sentence you probably want to go on an abusive tangent now, I will leave it there so.

I clearly haven't changed my opinion you lunatic!!!

I clearly haven't changed my opinion you lunatic!!!

You have done nothing but go in tangents rather than dealing with what you said.

And now a nice little bit of invective. Why am I not surprised?

You have done nothing but go in tangents rather than dealing with what you said.

And now a nice little bit of invective. Why am I not surprised?

You call examples tangents?

I have to admit, I kind of admire your style of arguing a point...it's cartoon like!!!

• Advertisement

You call examples tangents?

I have to admit, I kind of admire your style of arguing a point...it's cartoon like!!!

It doesn't matter how many example/tangents you post you see.
    It will not prove the following:

Because that statement is factually incorrect. The Irish media have exposed wrong doing (not all wrongdoing) and some of it has been exemplary.

Review the long list from Primetime Investigates and it's predecessors.
    Review Charlie Bird and George Lee's work and what that exposed.
    Review Mick Clifford's record in the Irish Examiner.

Then come back and make your statement/theory/opinion with some semblance of credibility. Here it is again in case you have forgotten it and want to tangent again:

It doesn't matter how many example/tangents you post you see.
    It will not prove the following:

Because that statement is factually incorrect. The Irish media have exposed wrong doing (not all wrongdoing) and some of it has been exemplary.

Review the long list from Primetime Investigates and it's predecessors.
    Review Charlie Bird and George Lee's work and what that exposed.
    Review Mick Clifford's record in the Irish Examiner.

Then come back and make your statement/theory/opinion with some semblance of credibility. Here it is again in case you have forgotten it and want to tangent again:

You mean Prime Time Investigates which was suspended at one point http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-suspends-next-season-of-prime-time-investigates-after-fr-reynolds-scandal-285987-Nov2011/ .... not a very good example Francie.

I like Mick Clifford, he is one of the very few Irish journalists who can have any pride in their work.

Can you point me to the documentary/articles that exposed

The finances of Charles Haughey
    The finances of Liam Laylor
    The finances of Ray Burke
    The actions of George Redmond
    The actions of Frank Dunlop
    The finances of Bertie Ahern

The above are just a snapshot of the serious abuses that Irish media ignored, there is another catalog of abuses by the Catholic Church, the Financial Institutions, The Judiciary, the Garda Siochana, The HSE.....

Please, apart from small fish in the shape of County Counsellors in Co Sligo/Monaghan/Donegal...what have RTE exposed when it comes to corrupt politicians?

I vividly remember the documentary RTE broadcast about Mary Boyle a number of years ago, where they fingered a notorious british child molester as the main suspect....it was a complete whitewash...it was abhorrent.

Has any documentary that you have seen about Fr Niall Molloy named the high ranking FF politicians that were present when an innocent man was butchered and left for dead?

Come on Francie...you have admitted to consuming Irish media, you should have no problem providing me with that list....

You'll find some condescending way of deflecting is what I'll bet? Like you always do!

You mean Prime Time Investigates which was suspended at one point http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-suspends-next-season-of-prime-time-investigates-after-fr-reynolds-scandal-285987-Nov2011/ .... not a very good example Francie.

I like Mick Clifford, he is one of the very few Irish journalists who can have any pride in their work.

Can you point me to the documentary/articles that exposed

The finances of Charles Haughey
    The finances of Liam Laylor
    The finances of Ray Burke
    The actions of George Redmond
    The actions of Frank Dunlop
    The finances of Bertie Ahern

The above are just a snapshot of the serious abuses that Irish media ignored, there is another catalog of abuses by the Catholic Church, the Financial Institutions, The Judiciary, the Garda Siochana, The HSE.....

Please, apart from small fish in the shape of County Counsellors in Co Sligo/Monaghan/Donegal...what have RTE exposed when it comes to corrupt politicians?

I vividly remember the documentary RTE broadcast about Mary Boyle a number of years ago, where they fingered a notorious british child molester as the main suspect....it was a complete whitewash...it was abhorrent.

Has any documentary that you have seen about Fr Niall Molloy named the high ranking FF politicians that were present when an innocent man was butchered and left for dead?

Come on Francie...you have admitted to consuming Irish media, you should have no problem providing me with that list....

You'll find some condescending way of deflecting is what I'll bet? Like you always do!

:D:D:D Classic example of somebody in a corner and not willing to admit they were simply wrong and over the top. Ignoring that I said very clearly 'not all wrongdoing', is another symptom.

I don't need to 'provide you' with any 'list' because I didn't make any outlandish and factually wrong claims. You did however and refuse to deal with it in the face of actual evidence that you are wrong and unfair. Here it is again, do tell us how you can still claim that after the list I posted. I ignored other prime examples that you could also review.

What you really meant was, that 'ITV and the BBC have exposed things that Irish media haven't'.

But I know you know this by now (because anyone with the ability to read would) and are just digging in the heels.

:D:D:D Classic example of somebody in a corner and not willing to admit they were simply wrong and over the top. Ignoring that I said very clearly 'not all wrongdoing', is another symptom.

I don't need to 'provide you' with any 'list' because I didn't make any outlandish and factually wrong claims. You did however and refuse to deal with it in the face of actual evidence that you are wrong and unfair. Here it is again, do tell us how you can still claim that after the list I posted. I ignored other prime examples that you could also review.

What you really meant was, that 'ITV and the BBC have exposed things that Irish media haven't'.

But I know you know this by now (because anyone with the ability to read would) and are just digging in the heels.

You're going to deflect in your typically condescending manner then....

I'll change those two words Francie....because it clearly means so much to you, if you tell me who in Irish media do we trust to expose the long list of abuses in our state institutions?

You've been chasing me around this thread because of two words, you can at least extend the readers of this thread (if there are any left) the courtesy of justifying that trust you have in Irish media.

In the absence of an Irish media outlet we can trust, then regretfully, we have to depend on media outlets outside of this state, who have problems of their own in their own countries.

Until you do, then you have no right to tell me to change those two words.

You're going to deflect in your typically condescending manner then....

I'll change those two words Francie....because it clearly means so much to you, if you tell me who in Irish media do we trust to expose the long list of abuses in our state institutions?

You've been chasing me around this thread because of two words, you can at least extend the readers of this thread (if there are any left) the courtesy of justifying that trust you have in Irish media.

In the absence of an Irish media outlet we can trust, then regretfully, we have to depend on media outlets outside of this state, who have problems of their own in their own countries.

Until you do, then you have no right to tell me to change those two words.

You once again were not listening: I don't 'trust' any media, I consume lots of it from a broad spectrum and 'trust' my intelligence to interpret if I am being told the truth or not.

Thank you for withdrawing the opinion/theory.

You once again were not listening: I don't 'trust' any media, I consume lots of it from a broad spectrum and 'trust' my intelligence to interpret if I am being told the truth or not.

Thank you for withdrawing the opinion/theory.

As usual Francie....you have no answers...just hyperbole.

Show me two examples, of two different instances, where RTE or any Irish Media exposed anything as serious as the two UK media examples I gave.

Then, please explain how could two UK media companies manage to break two very important stories from Belfast/UK when our own couldn't.

Bearing in mind, it is the style of Irish media is to ignore abuse for as long as it can until it becomes impossible to maintain some kind of credibility and continue ignoring it, so don't go telling me they exposed Michael Lowry or Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern, you know, the serious players in white collar crime.

As usual Francie....you have no answers...just hyperbole.

Show me two examples, of two different instances, where RTE or any Irish Media exposed anything as serious as the two UK media examples I gave.

Then, please explain how could two UK media companies manage to break two very important stories from Belfast/UK when our own couldn't.

Bearing in mind, it is the style of Irish media is to ignore abuse for as long as it can until it becomes impossible to maintain some kind of credibility and continue ignoring it, so don't go telling me they exposed Michael Lowry or Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern, you know, the serious players in white collar crime.

Again Silentcorner - I didn't claim any of the above.

What I did do was disprove your over the top remark:

Don't make them if you can't prove them.

Night night.

Again Silentcorner - I didn't claim any of the above.

What I did do was disprove your over the top remark:

Don't make them if you can't prove them.

Night night.

Not only have you made a claim (that my remark was factually incorrect and totally over the top) you have pursued me all over this thread.

When asked, you couldn't produce a single example to demonstrate your claim.

You have been wasting mine and everyone else's time Francie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So I was right, you have nothing to back it up with. Ok so, name calling is the sum total of your argument :rolleyes:

Well actually one of the Gardai did respond to the allegations of him being a paedo- he went on radio and the interview he did and his denials were far from convincing. But thats not the point- are you seriously telling me that if someone called you a paedo in public, published it on Facebook, gave dates and details of the sexual abuse you would not sue them for defamation? I mean lets be real here, nobody allows their reputation to be attacked like that in public if they are innocent. Those two Gardai in Dalkey have been accused of heinous crimes against children and yet they done nothing about it. Their behaviour smacks of guilt and if they were really innocent then they have a slam dunk defamtion case that is worth tens of thousands of euro to therolleyes:m. Rather strange they dont take it and instead allow their reputations to be defamed all over Dun Laoighire and Dalkey as well as nationally.

Funny you make a snipe like that, when name calling and general abuse towards those she disagrees with seems to make up a significant portion of Gemma’s twitter output :

You also seems to share Gemma’s fondness for ignoring anything that contradicts you - plenty examples of her displaying increasingly “crankish”behavior have been shown - her periodic anti-vaccine rants and the McCann stuff are just two examples of stuff that damages her credibility - a pity because it detracts from the more valuable stuff she highlights

I think part of the reason that certain”types” hold her up as a hero is that she’s abusive and dismissive of anyone who disagrees with her. Seems to mirror their own behavior as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

blackwhite wrote: »
    Funny you make a snipe like that, when name calling and general abuse towards those she disagrees with seems to make up a significant portion of Gemma’s twitter output :

You also seems to share Gemma’s fondness for ignoring anything that contradicts you - plenty examples of her displaying increasingly “crankish”behavior have been shown - her periodic anti-vaccine rants and the McCann stuff are just two examples of stuff that damages her credibility - a pity because it detracts from the more valuable stuff she highlights

I think part of the reason that certain”types” hold her up as a hero is that she’s abusive and dismissive of anyone who disagrees with her. Seems to mirror their own behavior as well.

That stuff does detract and she's her own worst enemy at times.

But that's an analysis of her and not the cases that are worth discussing.

Years could be spent on the wacky stuff by us, which suits anyone who wouldn't want the serious issues discussed.

Not only have you made a claim (that my remark was factually incorrect and totally over the top) you have pursued me all over this thread.

When asked, you couldn't produce a single example to demonstrate your claim.

You have been wasting mine and everyone else's time Francie.

What did I claim?

That Irish media have broken stories of national importance? They patently have unless you want to now claim that the stuff George Lee and Charlie Bird uncovered or what Prime Time have done over the years or what Mick Clifford has exposed is NOT of national importance. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To detract from the over top statement that you made originally, you now want to up the ante to anything 'as serious' as ITV and BBC uncovered. :D:D:D

Very good, 'when in a corner keep pointing at things over there'.

I have pursued you over the statement you made, not 'all over the thread'. Could you tone down the sensationalism about that and in general maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

God Francie you're some grafter. Up till midnight then breakfast and then straight on to boards to defend the Irish Times and RTE. Fair play.
    What did I claim?

That Irish media have broken stories of national importance? They patently have unless you want to now claim that the stuff George Lee and Charlie Bird uncovered or what Prime Time have done over the years or what Mick Clifford has exposed is NOT of national importance. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To detract from the over top statement that you made originally, you now want to up the ante to anything 'as serious' as ITV and BBC uncovered. :D:D:D

Very good, 'when in a corner keep pointing at things over there'.

I have pursued you over the statement you made, not 'all over the thread'. Could you tone down the sensationalism about that and in general maybe?

God Francie you're some grafter. Up till midnight then breakfast and then straight on to boards to defend the Irish Times and RTE. Fair play.

Are you feeling 'pursued' too? :rolleyes:

Are you feeling 'pursued' too? :rolleyes:
    Good man Francie. 12 hours a day. You're a good grafter

Good man Francie. 12 hours a day. You're a good grafter

No actually.

You have heard of gadgets like phones and pc's and laptops? And software that notifies you of activity on a discussion you are interested in?

Is this the best you can do by the way? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Christ, get a room. Preferably one with handbags.

Well Francie the discussion is supposed to be about the probable role of a senior Cork based police officer in the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier and the deliberate cover up of his guilt by Gardai. Seems pretty likely to me by the way anyone who has much experience of our €100K PA , €1 million pension, 20 points at leaving cert spud thick thieving redneck political police knows that they would cover up murder.

But you do what you do y'know (and that's boards.ie 14 hours a day) hard work is its own reward. Fair Play!

No actually.

You have heard of gadgets like phones and pc's and laptops? And software that notifies you of activity on a discussion you are interested in?

Is this the best you can do by the way? :rolleyes:

Well Francie the discussion is supposed to be about the probable role of a senior Cork based police officer in the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier and the deliberate cover up of his guilt by Gardai. Seems pretty likely to me by the way anyone who has much experience of our €100K PA , €1 million pension, 20 points at leaving cert spud thick thieving redneck political police knows that they would cover up murder.

But you do what you do y'know (and that's boards.ie 14 hours a day) hard work is its own reward. Fair Play!

The 'discussion' has covered a lot of things besides that. Some based in fact and others pure kneejerk sensationalism.

I know it is pointless to say that I don't monitor Boards for 14 hours a day, because like others you have a sensationalist point of view on that and cannot be turned away from it. There you go. That's boards for you.

when you're right Francie you're right!
    The 'discussion' has covered a lot of things besides that. Some based in fact and others pure kneejerk sensationalism.

I know it is pointless to say that I don't monitor Boards for 14 hours a day, because like others you have a sensationalist point of view on that and cannot be turned away from it. There you go. That's boards for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

RTE reporting today on the GSOC investigation.
    Some mad findings in it, like the blood splattered gate has gone missing.

• Advertisement

How do you lose a gate?

Ipso wrote: »
    How do you lose a gate?

Same way you lose a laptop or a phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

How do you lose a gate?

how do you get away with murder ...........

mynamejeff wrote: »
    how do you get away with murder ...........

It’s not what you know but who you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At least Gemma isn't too close to the politicians that would affect a fair and free media.
    This tweet said 'hand in glove' between some politicians and media.

https://twitter.com/campaignforkate/status/1016792175852519424

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

RobertKK wrote: »
    At least Gemma isn't too close to the politicians that would affect a fair and free media.

https://twitter.com/campaignforkate/status/1016792175852519424

There's a photo of her with Michael D a few days ago... By your logic, that's proof of such a conspiracy. But reality is for above photo is some prominent journalists got invited to above event and met minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

RTE reporting today on the GSOC investigation.
    Some mad findings in it, like the blood splattered gate has gone missing.

Somewhere in Donegal is a "journalist" flicking her bean furiously at the thoughts of another Garda/Illuminati cover-up/conspiracy

Benildus wrote: »
    Somewhere in Donegal is a "journalist" flicking her bean furiously at the thoughts of another Garda/Illuminati cover-up/conspiracy

A cover up would be preferable to this level of incompetence (though now GSOC part of cover up if there is one)
    Core difficulty with incompetence is that it is systemic and therefore no conviction in that section in that period can be trusted and anyone at all convicted of anything can assume that they were unfairly convicted.

All Gardai who served there at that time should be dismissed and lose pensions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It’s not what you know but who you know.

"There are those out there who know and those out there who think they know"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

It's hard to believe just how utterly corrupt our Gardaí were for decades and no politicians raised it as an issue. And yet honourable men like McCabe were nearly driven to suicide when they tried to fix it.

I have no doubt that the Gardaí know exactly who killed Du Plantier and protected him. One of their own makes sense. I have absolutely lost all respect for the Gardaí. It's still corrupt and disgusting. So many skeletons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

batgoat wrote: »

There's a photo of her with Michael D a few days ago...

That'll help to enhance Pres Stumpy's street cred with the tinhat brigade!

Cunning little stunt, isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

FFS, I saw this at time and people leaping all over it. It was a photograph from a social event, nothing more.

What exactly is your point? What does it have to do with Garda corruption in this case?

How do you lose a gate?

They must have a special storage area for this stuff
    Twelve of fifteen mobile phones belonging to senior garda officers are missing and cannot be provided to the Charleton Tribunal.

The phones were used by former garda commissioners Martin Callinan and Nóirín O'Sullivan and by former garda press officer Supt David Taylor between 2012 and 2014.

The twisted fcekers said the phones were given to charity. Sick.

Rotten to the core.

They must have a special storage area for this stuff

The twisted fceers said the phones were given to charity. Sick.

Rotten to the core.

Stop paying the pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stop paying the pensions.

Can’t possibly do that, it’s in the Constitution - for the people (in charge), by the people (in charge)!

Can’t possibly do that, it’s in the Constitution - for the people (in charge), by the people (in charge)!

Judicial pensions only. Policemen have lost their entitlements before,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That GSOC report was a joke. According to them no corruption in the pursuit of Ian Bailey. So by that metric Gardai giving hash to the local stoner to make false statements against Bailey is not corrupt. Gardai pressurising local woman Marie Farrel into making false statements to implicate Bailey in the murder is not corrupt. And Gardai listening in and recording phone calls between the accused and his solicitor is not corrupt. And Gardai losing a farm gate that was splattered in blood is not corrupt. And Gardai losing crucial evidence and ripping pages out of a glue bound job book to cover up what they wrote about the murder investigation is not corrupt either.

Its all fine, no corruption, no accountability as usual and can everyone here just move along now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I have no doubt that the Gardaí know exactly who killed Du Plantier .

ya the do

it was ian bailey ..... didnt you know that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Gemma O’Doherty is seen as a really brave and pioneering journalist by some folks. And is seen as a martyr for being sacked by Independent News and Media. But then you see her tweets and read her site and quickly realise she’s as mad as a bag of spiders. Conspiracy theorist, crank, rage against the machine sort.

Some of her views and theories are off the wall. She recently had a tweet accusing the Irish Times of treason for publishing property advertisements and overheating the property market.

However, when you look at what happened to Maurice McCabe or Sam Smyth you are left with the conclusion that you have to be a bit crazy to stand up to the powers that be.

Advertisement