Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning for trout

Options
  • 23-07-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, why do some trout attack a spinner and others follow it and turn away. I've seen this plenty of times, even had trout rush over to my spinner like it was going to take and then does not, and I do vary the retreive... I've even had shoal of minnow follow my spinner and when I stop the spinner in the water they shoal around it and start attacking it. Has this happened to any of ye whilst spinning for trout. Any advice...cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fishabout wrote: »
    Hi all, why do some trout attack a spinner and others follow it and turn away. I've seen this plenty of times, even had trout rush over to my spinner like it was going to take and then does not, and I do vary the retreive... I've even had shoal of minnow follow my spinner and when I stop the spinner in the water they shoal around it and start attacking it. Has this happened to any of ye whilst spinning for trout. Any advice...cheers!

Curiosity of a shiny thing spinner making a disturbance. They don't have hands so they bite to see what it is. It's only a lure. Now put a dead minnow on and spin it and you'll see a different reaction. That's why trout take on spinners. It's curiosity. Same with most fish actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fishabout

Curiosity of a shiny thing spinner making a disturbance. They don't have hands so they bite to see what it is. It's only a lure. Now put a dead minnow on and spin it and you'll see a different reaction. That's why trout take on spinners. It's curiosity. Same with most fish actually.

Would the dead minnow out fish the spinner. I've never tried spinning a dead minnow..have you had good catch rates using that method. Suppose it's the food trout be use too.

Advertisement