Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points

• 23-07-2018 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Got a lovely letter today 59 in a 50 in Dublin ... thought 59 in a 50 is really stretching it for a 80 euro fine ... shooting fish in a barrel ...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

hurler32 wrote: »
    Got a lovely letter today 59 in a 50 in Dublin ... thought 59 in a 50 is really stretching it for a 80 euro fine ... shooting fish in a barrel ...

59 in a 50 so your speedo was reading at over 60......

Speeding is speeding no matter what way you look at it, you may feel hard done by but you were nearly 20% above the legal speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

80 euro and 3 penalty points (with limit of 12 and removal after 3 years) is probably the most severe penalty for such speeding offence (59 in 50) within Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

CiniO wrote: »
    80 euro and 3 penalty points (with limit of 12 and removal after 3 years) is probably the most severe penalty for such speeding offence (59 in 50) within Europe.
    I honestly don't mean to come across as all high-horse-ish, but 50kph speed limits are only in built-up areas where the chances of the unexpected happening are much higher, so this is a fact I'd be more pleased about than not, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Stop being a fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the UK it is £100stg and 3 points.

• Advertisement

In the UK it is £100stg and 3 points.

That's why I said probably.
    Possibly someone can find maybe one or 2 more countries like that.
    Outside of that remaining of 50 european countries surely have less severe penalties for such speeding offence.

Outside of that remaining of 50 european countries surely have less severe penalties for such speeding offence.

we appear to be below the mean fine for european countries. We do have penalty points that other countries dont but we also dont automatically take away your licence for certain speeding offences

http://www.speedingeurope.com/theburger/

€160 in Finland

we appear to be below the mean fine for european countries. We do have penalty points that other countries dont but we also dont automatically take away your licence for certain speeding offences

http://www.speedingeurope.com/theburger/

Mean fine - maybe.
    I was referring to speeding by 9km/h

JayZeus wrote: »
    €160 in Finland

Where did you find it?

http://www.speedingeurope.com/finland/

This link suggest that fines start at €170 when you're 12km/h over the limit or more.
    TOLERANCE: 10 km/h in all cases. Fixed speed cameras activate at 6 km/h and a notification is sent by mail with no consequences up to 10 km/h over the limit. Beyond 20 km/h fine is net income based with no upper limit.
    Read more at: http://www.speedingeurope.com/finland/ - copyright © www.speedingeurope.com

• Advertisement

Mean fine - maybe.

I checked a couple of the major countries and they all have higher fines for exceeding the limit in the 50kmh zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Ireland seems to be on the lower end of speeding fines

Norway €944 for breaking the 50 limit
    Denmark €405 for breaking the 50 limit
    Sweden €335 for breaking the 50 limit
    Finland €200 for breaking the 50 limit
    Latvia €160 for breaking the 50 limit
    Spain €150 for breaking the 50 limit
    Italy €143 for breaking the 50 limit

All from http://www.speedingeurope.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Recently got caught speeding, doing 71 in a 60 zone after a village (genuinely thought it was already 80).
    That's the way it is, I exceeded the speed limit, I was in the wrong, paid my fine, have penalty points now and will be more careful in the future.
    Speed limits are there for a reason, you were almost 10km/h over it. Next time take better care, insurance companies will make your life hell with over 4 points.

Edit: Back in Austria it's 50 Euro fine but they don't have points. When I told my dad, who sees speeding at a courtesy, was shocked "they catch you 4 times and your license is gone?!"

crashplan wrote: »

:eek:

And norway automatically jails you if you go over 96kmh in a 50 zone. The less for today is dont speed in Norway.

Mean fine - maybe.
    For me it's the percentage you were over the limit that is more important.

9kph over on a motorway limit of 120kph is not the same as 9kph over an urban 50kph limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

The fine itself it fine, low end of the spectrum. What's worse it's the points, and you'll pay way more in insurance hikes than the fine itself, for example I only have 3 points and the insurance went up by 150E for this reason alone, and assuming it's going to be the same for the next 2 renewals, that's 450. But who's observing the speed limit now? Me...

Also shooting fish in a barrel is a generally bad idea: you're likely to miss the fish, destroy the barrel and hurt yourself :)

I checked a couple of the major countries and they all have higher fines for exceeding the limit in the 50kmh zone.

Yes, but not by 9km/h.

If we're talking about doing 100km/h in 50km/h zone, then indeed Irish €80 and 3 penalty points is probably among the lowest in Europe.

All above for being +21km/h over the limit.

Nothing to do with what I was saying about being only 9km/h over the limit.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    For me it's the percentage you were over the limit that is more important.

9kph over on a motorway limit of 120kph is not the same as 9kph over an urban 50kph limit.

Fully agree with you.
    However for some reason hardly any country bases their speeding fine on percentage over the limit.
    Most just base it on amount of km/h over the limit (probably with exception of Ireland and UK where even amount over the limit ain't matter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

All above for being +21km/h over the limit.

Nothing to do with what I was saying about being only 9km/h over the limit.

Eh, you have read that webpage incorrectly. The tolerance is not 21kmh. there is a separate section for tolerances on each countries page. Generally around 10% but some are lower. Take a look at the page for Ireland, it shows the same +21KMH figure.

Fully agree with you.
    However for some reason hardly any country bases their speeding fine on percentage over the limit.
    Most just base it on amount of km/h over the limit (probably with exception of Ireland and UK where even amount over the limit ain't matter).

In nearly all the countries on that webpage you would get a fine for going 59kmh in a 50 zone bar. there are only 2 or 3 exceptions.

just some food for thought
    speed_image018.jpg

When you hit someone at 50km/h they have a 50pc chance of living, at 60km/h their chance drops to just 10pc

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/road-safety-expert-when-you-hit-someone-at-50kmh-they-have-a-50pc-chance-of-living-at-60kmh-their-chance-drops-to-just-10pc-35338583.html

Sorry but according to your chart, pedestrian hit at 50km/h has about 60% chance of living, while pedestrian hit at 60km/h has about 27% of living.
    I'm not saying that data is correct, I'm just saying that's what your chart says.
    I don't know where you got your 50% and 10% ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

just some food for thought
    speed_image018.jpg

When you hit someone at 50km/h they have a 50pc chance of living, at 60km/h their chance drops to just 10pc

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/road-safety-expert-when-you-hit-someone-at-50kmh-they-have-a-50pc-chance-of-living-at-60kmh-their-chance-drops-to-just-10pc-35338583.html

So drive faster as a payout for death is less than for injury. We gotta get our insurance cost down.

Eh, you have read that webpage incorrectly. The tolerance is not 21kmh. there is a separate section for tolerances on each countries page. Generally around 10% but some are lower. Take a look at the page for Ireland, it shows the same +21KMH figure.
    In nearly all the countries on that webpage you would get a fine for going 59kmh in a 50 zone bar. there are only 2 or 3 exceptions.

Yes, but fine for being only 9km/h over the limit, would be significently lower than ones you listed.

Hence vast majority of countries use graduated speeding fine systems, where while you're f.e. up 10km/h over the limit fine is minimal, being around 20-30 over the limit fine is average, and being 40-50+ over the limit usually fine is extremelly heavy.

Yes, but not by 9km/h.

If we're talking about doing 100km/h in 50km/h zone, then indeed Irish €80 and 3 penalty points is probably among the lowest in Europe.

Would you ever go an actually read the detail for each country? You're embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Driving at 60 instead of 50 probably got you home 10 mins earlier.

€8 a minute....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The OP is pissed off at the fine = its working. If it were lower you'd forget it far quicker.

Pay attention not fines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Yes, but not by 9km/h.

It would appear that €80. and 3 points is still not deterrent enough in Ireland as people are still ending up as fish in a barrel. Maybe the fine and points should be increased . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Unlucky. Coffers gotta be filled some way, the motoring fraternity are easy targets.

Unlucky. Coffers gotta be filled some way, the motoring fraternity are easy targets.
    There's a very obvious solution to that...... :rolleyes:

Where did you find it?

http://www.speedingeurope.com/finland/

This link suggest that fines start at €170 when you're 12km/h over the limit or more.

That’s not official information. 3-6km/h over limit you get a warning. 7km/h over limit, you get a fine, between €120-160. If 15+ over limit, it starts at €170 and goes up from there, hitting ‘day rate’ multiples for serious offenses which is basically a number of days salary.

https://www.poliisi.fi/security_and_monitoring/traffic_safety/police_traffic_safety_centre/frequently_asked_questions

That’s not official information. 3-6km/h over limit you get a warning. 7km/h over limit, you get a fine, between €120-160. If 15+ over limit, it starts at €170 and goes up from there, hitting ‘day rate’ multiples for serious offenses which is basically a number of days salary.

https://www.poliisi.fi/security_and_monitoring/traffic_safety/police_traffic_safety_centre/frequently_asked_questions

That's probably more accurate.
    That speedingeurope.com website doesn't seem to be too accurate.
    But gives general idea anyway.

So, so far we have UK and Finland as having higher fines for doing 59 in 50 than Ireland.

• Advertisement

That's probably more accurate.
    That speedingeurope.com website doesn't seem to be too accurate.
    But gives general idea anyway.

So, so far we have UK and Finland as having higher fines for doing 59 in 50 than Ireland.

Didn’t you pick that inaccurate site first? It’s way off.

My information is not probably more accurate. It’s accurate. It’s either accurate or inaccurate.

Were you one of those kids that tried to bully other people i to doing your homework for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Would you ever go an actually read the detail for each country? You're embarrassing yourself.

How am I embarrassing myself?

All fines listed in the list from your link are for being 21 or more over the limit (usually meaning between 20-25 or 20-30 depending what scale each country have).

As you're saying yourself - you can check each individual country at that website (assuming it's accurate which already from post above looks like it's not in regards Finland).

But OK, let me do some work and check few countries:
    (from that Website)

Fines for doing 59km/h in 50km/h zone:

Germany - €15
    Austria - €30
    Belgium - €50
    Croatia - €40
    Czechia - €19
    Denmark - €135
    France - €68
    Greece - €40
    Ireland - €80
    Italy - €35
    Latvia - 0
    Luxembourg - €49
    Netherlands - €26-€46
    Norway - €233
    Poland - €12
    Portugal - €60-€300
    Slovakia - €20
    Slovenia - €40
    Spain - €50
    Sweden - €210
    Switzerland - €112
    UK - €118

I think my point still quite stands.

Didn’t you pick that inaccurate site first? It’s way off.
    No, I didn't.
    It was ohnonotgmail who introduced that website to this thread.
    My information is not probably more accurate. It’s accurate. It’s either accurate or inaccurate.
    Brilliant.
    Were you one of those kids that tried to bully other people i to doing your homework for you?
    I was always way more than able for my own homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't understand why it's always "shooting fish in a barrel" or a "money making scam". The vast majority of us don't have a problem with speeding. There's a speed limit and you're not supposed to go over it. It's not trial and error. It's just that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

While I do a agree that if you are caught speeding you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I also think that more resources should be spent on policing motorways better.

The amount of people on phones, driving in the middle lane yet not overtaking and doing stupidly dangerous things on the M50 every day is outrageous.

You are guaranteed at least one crash a day on the M50 yet it is still not policed correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

To be fair 59 in a 50 is not going that fast.pembroke road in Dublin 4 wherever that is....if it was 69 id say fair enough, i dont tend to be driving fast...if you were a garda looking for the soft touch ..just stand there for ten minutes..catch the next twenty cars and go back and do your paperwork for the other 7 hours...it was for work i had to attend meeting in Dublin...sometimes you'd wonder would you be as well off not bothering your h*le and draw the dole.....
    There are loads of serious crimes ..burgularys etc occuring daily and there seems to be a very low detection rate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

hunter164 wrote: »

You are guaranteed at least one crash a day on the M50 yet it is still not policed correctly.

Very difficult to police the m50 without adding to the congestion problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

tuxy wrote: »
    Very difficult to police the m50 without adding to the congestion problem.

I’ve been on the M50 at 7am on a Sunday morning with middle lane driving and people on their phone.

To be fair 59 in a 50 is not going that fast.pembroke road in Dublin 4 wherever that is....if it was 69 id say fair enough, i dont tend to be driving fast...if you were a garda looking for the soft touch ..just stand there for ten minutes..catch the next twenty cars and go back and do your paperwork for the other 7 hours...it was for work i had to attend meeting in Dublin...sometimes you'd wonder would you be as well off not bothering your h*le and draw the dole.....
    There are loads of serious crimes ..burgularys etc occuring daily and there seems to be a very low detection rate....
    I was wondering when the whataboutery would start.

59 in a 50 zone is almost 20% over the legal speed, and Pembroke Road is a busy road with many junctions and pedestrians.

You were caught speeding, suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

OP, don't worry about it, points will be gone in 3 years and the butt-hurt will have gone. I have 3 points due to fall off in a few weeks, delighted to say it worked no more points, touch wood...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

OP, sorry to hear of your misfortune. The punishment is too severe for the crime but you’re unlikely to get any sympathy or agreement from the many high horse brigadiers that frequent here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

ION08 wrote: »
    OP, sorry to hear of your misfortune. The punishment is too severe for the crime but you’re unlikely to get any sympathy or agreement from the many high horse brigadiers that frequent here.

I don't know what's high horse about it? Imagine it would be only enforced with a joke fine of like 20 Euro and no points, have you any idea dangerous driving would be? Back home the fines are minimal and no penalty points at all, everyone in my family has been done for speeding countless times, my sister and dad get at least 3 a year, notoriously breaking 30kmh limits.
    People don't learn when it doesn't hurt them in the wallet or they face higher insurance costs because of points. Speed limits are there for a reason, there is no excuse to break it under normal circumstances.

I had to pay one 2 months ago, I honestly don't want another set of points, so I just obey the rules and I won't get in trouble, it's really not that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

ION08 wrote: »

What high horse brigadiers? OP was over the speed limit, in speedo was more than likely reading over 60kph when he was done (get a speed app on your phone and you will see the difference on speedo to actual speed. Yes getting caught is an ass full of hurt, but no one to blame but the OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement