Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points

2»

Comments

ION08 wrote: »
    OP, sorry to hear of your misfortune. The punishment is too severe for the crime but you’re unlikely to get any sympathy or agreement from the many high horse brigadiers that frequent here.

High horse as opposed to what, bottom feeders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

JayZeus wrote: »
    High horse as opposed to what, bottom feeders?

IMO I would say it means that every poster on here has broken the speed limit but their attitude is that their s***t doesn't stink :rolleyes: That's why i hardly ever bother posting on this forum anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Micky 32 wrote: »
    IMO I would say it means that every poster on here has broken the speed limit but their attitude is that their s***t doesn't stink :rolleyes: That's why i hardly ever bother posting on this forum anymore.
    I've broken the speed limit plenty of times, but if I got caught I wouldn't come on here complaining about it. As I recommended the OP do, I'd suck it up and carefully reconsider my future actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've broken the speed limit plenty of times, but if I got caught I wouldn't come on here complaining about it. As I recommended the OP do, I'd suck it up and carefully reconsider my future actions.

Suck it up? Are you from the States by the way? You seem to be more upset that he was speeding and yet you've done it yourself.. I well believe you won't come on here complaining because i doubt you'd want to be told to "suck it up ":) It irritates me when people throw stones.... sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I don't think OP is complaining about the fact that he got caught, but rather about the severity of penalty for such trivial offence.

59km/h in 50km/h zone is very minor offence, and in most places around the world fine for it is much less severe than in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't really call it a severe punishment to be fair. €80 fine and a few points. It's not like it's a 6 month sentence or an inmediate disqualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I wouldn't really call it a severe punishment to be fair. €80 fine and a few points. It's not like it's a 6 month sentence or an inmediate disqualification.

It's 3 penalty points, so might affect insurance premium already.
    And if repeated within 3 years it will cause 6 points and will have big effect on insurance premium.
    IMO that is severe punishment for being slightly over the limit, and my post from earlier today listing that in vast majority of European countries offences like that are being punished much less severe even further prove my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

CiniO wrote: »
    It's 3 penalty points, so might affect insurance premium already.
    And if repeated within 3 years it will cause 6 points and will have big effect on insurance premium.
    IMO that is severe punishment for being slightly over the limit, and my post from earlier today listing that in vast majority of European countries offences like that are being punished much less severe even further prove my point.

He's not in another country!
    If he wants to avail of those lower fines then go to those countries and work away.
    The punishments in this country are well publicised

Surely you are aware at this stage we all as countries do things differently

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The penalty is supposed to be a deterrent, which it is.

The only surprise here is that CiniO hasn't mentioned Poland ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

Killinator wrote: »
    He's not in another country!
    If he wants to avail of those lower fines then go to those countries and work away.
    The punishments in this country are well publicised

Surely you are aware at this stage we all as countries do things differently

Indeed, we're in a country which has one of the best road safety stats in Europe and I would very much like to keep it this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I didn't really get the point of this thread at the start, but I think it's run its course at this stage...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement