Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas meter issue

Options
  • 23-07-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. Just taken possession of a property and it has Pay as You Go meters installed for both gas and electricity. I was thinking of signing up with Bord Gais to supply both on a direct debit account.
    Rang them today and they want €199 to remove the gas PAYG meter :eek:
    Has anyone else got experience of this, is there anyway round it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it a networks PAYG meter or an add-on one?

I thought the networks meters could have a bypass code put in to let them work as normal, networks electricity ones certainly can as I only did it a few months ago for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Had the same issue myself , no way around it from what i can see. If i had spotted it before i signed the contracts i would of made them remove it or refund me the €200

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I might try that line - 'remove it and I'll sign up with you' and see what happens. I'm not in the house at the moment so I can't check what sort of meter it is. Although I don't think I could tell if it was a networks PAYG or a add on one. It's relatively newish looking with a sim card slotted into the bottom so I presume that'S payg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jos28 wrote: »
    I might try that line - 'remove it and I'll sign up with you' and see what happens. I'm not in the house at the moment so I can't check what sort of meter it is. Although I don't think I could tell if it was a networks PAYG or a add on one. It's relatively newish looking with a sim card slotted into the bottom so I presume that'S payg.

Are you sure it's not just a smart meter?

Are you sure it's not just a smart meter?

Stop asking me complicated questions :D:D:D
    I really have no idea, I'll try and post a pic later, cheers

Edit -There ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't have a keypad for an override code, however those meters are remote controlled and they should be able to 'convert' it to a normal meter by loading a different profile to it - the meter 100% has that functionality, whether they use it or not. A new supplier should be able to arrange that, if Gas Networks Ireland support it.

That isn't a SIM card, as it happens - its the card you use to load credit. It gets topped up at Paypoint or Post Offices.

Thanks a million for all the help, few calls to make tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted. Keep ya posted, thanks again

Advertisement