Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Tucson service cost

• 23-07-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

I bought a hyundai tucson 1.7 diesel last year and now it's due for it's first service, so i rang a dealer close to work who qouted 299. I thought that had to be a mistake so I rang where I bought the car and was qouted 280 for a basic service. Is that the going rate for a basic service? Seems very excessive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's about the going rate from a Hyundai dealer. To be fair they are a little bit expensive relative to it's competition but not massively so. What's €280 to correctly service a €35,000 vehicle?

They also only need bi annual servicing so you won't be paying anything next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Is €280 not a bit steep for what is essentially an oil change? Are they doing anything else for that price? Any breakdown of that amount?

Skoda charged me €120 on a first service on the Superb. The Octavia was similar. Different makes but basically a 4 pot diesel with similar oil requirements. I know the Korean consumables can be a bit saucy but €280 is quite sizable imo for that sort of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What exactly are they doing for €280? This dealer below lists it at €180 for the likes of the Tucson:

https://cavanaghs.com/aftersales/hyundai-service-pricing/

From their site "*To include: Oil, Oil Filter, Cabin Filter, Recall Check, Full Vehicle Check, Software Update, Test Drive"

Maybe ring a different dealer for a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

bazz26 wrote: »
    What exactly are they doing for €280? This dealer below lists it at €180 for the likes of the Tucson:

https://cavanaghs.com/aftersales/hyundai-service-pricing/

From their site "*To include: Oil, Oil Filter, Cabin Filter, Recall Check, Full Vehicle Check, Software Update, Test Drive"

Maybe ring a different dealer for a price?

I seen that dealer when I was looking for a price online which is why I thought it was a mistake being qouted 280, the first garage said its basically just an oil change is all it needs and he said 299 for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Worth mentioning that you do not need to bring your car to the main dealer to have it serviced. So long as you use genuine Hyuandai parts, and service the vehicle in line with the manufacturers guidelines, the warranty will remain valid.

There are plenty of independent garages that will do top class work for half the price of main dealers.

https://www.figiefa.eu/wp-content/uploads/r2rc-newberframeworkbrochure.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Hyundai have captured the market, sell cheap offer long warranty but no one asks the question or checks when buying, what are service costs and parts. A lot of people I know were shocked at the price parts compared to the Japanese manufacturers prices and some European brands.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that you do not need to bring your car to the main dealer to have it serviced. So long as you use genuine Hyuandai parts, and service the vehicle in line with the manufacturers guidelines, the warranty will remain valid.

There are plenty of independent garages that will do top class work for half the price of main dealers.

Funny you mention that I found these yesterday http://www.servicingstop.ie/about_us.html
    100 euro for the same service and they collect the car, I thought it was a scam of some sort about them being able to service it and keep my warranty

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

spider_pig wrote: »
    Funny you mention that I found these yesterday http://www.servicingstop.ie/about_us.html
    100 euro for the same service and they collect the car, I thought it was a scam of some sort about them being able to service it and keep my warranty

It's a website connecting local independent garages.

Whilst it's relatively inexpensive I'd have a few doubts about the quality of what you'll get for €100.

Not to be pedantic but it won't be "the same" service.

It may be difficult to appreciate but you have to wonder how a business could arrange a driver to collect and deliver your car, provide you with 6 litres of good quality engine oil, a good quality oil filter, and an hour of a competent mechanics time and make a profit, all from €100.

It's not possible, or if it is possible it's certainly not sustainable. Or if it is possible and sustainable they are either using low quality products or low quality mechanics, or both to deliver this service and I don't know why you'd want either one of those near your car, irrespective of its value.

I'm not saying to blindly go with the dealer because "dealer is best", but cheapest is rarely best. You could very well get a good quality job done for less than €280 but the €100 job they offer would be an injustice to the car and a false economy IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tzardine wrote: »

That's all good and well in theory but in practice the burden of proof will then be on the customer to prove that the parts used by the independent garage were genuine OEM and was serviced as per the manufacturer's guidelines. And Hyundai parts are not the cheapest even for a good independent garage to supply and fit so the financial savings may be minimal and any goodwill lodged with Hyundai beyond the warranty would be declined I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Makes the €140 I just paid for oil and filter at a BMW main dealer seem like a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

spider_pig wrote: »

did you actually get that website to work? I cant get past Step 2 to actually book a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Its the parts that are expensive driving up the price of the service, your tied into using oe parts to validate the warranty for 7 years so if you get the parts and get your own mechanic to do the work you might save a few €'s

did you actually get that website to work? I cant get past Step 2 to actually book a service.

No I haven't, I just got the quote from them but as people said 100 is too good to be true really, id nearly book a night away in charlivelle and get it done down there for 150

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Didn't know Hyundai were expensive to service, pricey parts too. Good to know.

Is there a reason servicing and parts is expensive on them? The cars are cheaper for a reason. I'd be surprised if they were losing lots of money on them.

Hyundais business model seems to be about churning units out to beat the band but they havn't put any focus on aftersales or what happens to the existing vehicles and owners.

Not too sure if its a Dublin thing or not but I passed a hyundai garage in Drogheda advertising services from 155 for diesels, all makes and models. I'm going to ring them tomorrow and find out.

175 for the same service in Drogheda in a hyundai garage, that's some difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It could always be worse...

https://youtu.be/sKobwz7wJso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

I work in a Mercedes Dealership and below is what you get for similar:

Fixed Price Service plus Full Vehicle Health Check for only €179:

Manufacturers Service A completed*

- Full vehicle health check

- Mercedes-Benz Genuine Parts

- 2-year manufacturer’s part's warranty

- Complimentary vehicle software upgrade

- Service modifications/upgrades completed FOC

- Manufacturer's approved lubricants

- 24hr Mobility guarantee

- Complimentary car wash

*Service A includes - Engine oil and filter change, brake inspection/efficiency test, all fluid levels checked, all electrics checked, full computer diagnostic test. Terms and conditions apply. Excludes 8/12 cylinder engines.

You may want to look elsewhere at the quoted price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Is €280 not a bit steep for what is essentially an oil change? Are they doing anything else for that price? Any breakdown of that amount?

A vehicle service is not 'an oil change' and definately not in a main dealer for the brand. If you just want an oil change there are plenty of tyre fitters that can accommodate you for 80-100 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once paid almost 400 for a full service.
    I wowed there and then to learn to do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A vehicle service is not 'an oil change' and definately not in a main dealer for the brand. If you just want an oil change there are plenty of tyre fitters that can accommodate you for 80-100 quid.

So on the likes of a Tucson, do you know what do they check, apart from basic stuff like bulbs, brake pads/discs and fluid levels?

The first service on a Tuscon is oil and pollen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The first service on a Tuscon is oil and pollen.

How much does that cost? What else do they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Can't complain with my Mondeo service cost and including :

Oil Re-Fill
    Oil Filter Replacement
    Air Filter Replacement
    Price Match Guarantee
    Free Electronic Vehicle Health Check (eCheck)
    Ford Video Check
    Free NCT/CVRT Re-Test
    Free Vehicle Wash <<<< >>>> NOOOOOO!!!:eek::D

All for just RRP €149 (All Ford cars)

That's all just fluff really though, it was an oil and air filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Seriously? It's the cars first service most likely. There'll be sfa in the way of checks over a quick visual and an OBD scan. €280 notes for that is overpriced.

• Advertisement

http://m.hyundai.ie/dealer/obriens-hyundai/service-plans

A crowd in cork doing 5 year service plans for 500 on the 1.7 diesel.

Advertisement