Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are so many fat?

• 23-07-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Why are so many Irish people fat?
    I'm just back from Sweden where all the ladies are slim and trim incl older ladies and the men don't sport huge beer bellies..
    Back to Ireland and its fat fat fat everywhere?
    Laziness? Genes? Alcohol? What?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm just back from Sweden where all the ladies are slim and trim incl older ladies and the men don't sport huge beer bellies..

Fat, I'd say.

I dunno OP. There are more fat men than women, so maybe the women are fat because they're comfort eating at the prospect of all the fat men. :(

I'm just off to have a lard sandwich with butter and more lard and bread and chips and more lard with sugar added. I was going to put gravy on but that might be overdoing it. Oh, and a diet Coke. Gotta watch those calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sweden locks up all the fat ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Lower atmospheric pressure, causes us to balloon outward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

A combination of things.

It starts in childhood.

Our schools would rather waste time on religion indoctrination lessons and a dead useless language than proper physical education and home economics classes. Our children are driven to, and collected from school, instead of walking and cycling.

Overworked parents are too tired to cook proper dinners for their children, relying on takeaways and processed junk

On the otherhand, the permanent social welfare class are too lazy, uneducated, drunk/high to give a **** about their kids and send them to the chipper daily.

Fast food junk outlets everywhere.

A growing culture of big is beautiful delusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

My downfall was my mam. All I did was sit around but fed me she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Our schools would rather waste time on religion indoctrination lessons and a dead useless language than proper physical education and home economics classes.

While religion and Irish are used as an excuse for everything I think the ridiculous insurance and lawsuit culture affects schools a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Mostly convenience food and bad or no breakfast. Most european countries cook food for themselves from scratch using limited convenience foods. A lot of Irish families are almost wholly reliant on convenience products (dolmio, uncle bens, frozen pizzas, microwave meals) which are high in sugar and also not adding extra fruit and veg slowing down metabolism and digestion. then add in the drinks at the weekend and the couple of take aways its no wonder!
    Bad habits are hard to break and sugar is highly addictive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Simple

Not enough cyclists. Join us and you'll be skinny before you know it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Irish people spend too much time on boards which leads to severe weight gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

My favourite thing about being a man is that the worst pricks in the world 'allow' you to be as fat as you fucking like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Fat Monster

This prick slips into your bedroom when you're asleep and injects you with fat. That's why you wake up tired in the morning. And when you've been injected with enough fat, it uses that fat to kill you and absorb your soul giving it nourishment.

latest?cb=20160823002642

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I would put it down to diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Alot of Irish people tend to eat meals that are not particular wholesome. We like our salt and veg which has been almost boiled to nothing.

Been guilty of that myself.

Eating said meals in front of the TV doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Could be another addiction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fourier wrote: »
    Lower atmospheric pressure, causes us to balloon outward.
    Actually makes sense as we are closer to the equator.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Eating more calories than they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

We have better food and drink more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I would put it down to diet.

Diet and lack of exercise. For a lot of people this is due to long commutes by car (by long I’m referring to time and/or distance) which means less free time to exercise and less inclination to cook healthy meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

two reasons:

1) the wife is a damn good cook.

2) one of the things i do to relive stress is bake, but i am very very stressed sometimes so i bake at least once a week. damn buns and doughnuts.

so there you go, that's my reasons. add on the fact that am a lazy bollix who won't exercise and you get the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I blame cuisine de france and Italian chippers

We have better food and drink more.

What is better though?

Processed junk is everywhere. Diets years ago might have been more basic but they were probably better compared to the processed junk that passes for good food these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Diet and lack of exercise. For a lot of people this is due to long commutes by car (by long I’m referring to time and/or distance) which means less free time to exercise and less inclination to cook healthy meals.

I live in one of these slightly sexier euro countries and honestly its the food. Their food just isn't that tasty so its harder to overeat. Compare that to the US or Ireland where you would find yourself looking forward to eating more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Food is delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Fat Monster

This prick slips into your bedroom when you're asleep and injects you with fat. That's why you wake up tired in the morning. And when you've been injected with enough fat, it uses that fat to kill you and absorb your soul giving it nourishment.

latest?cb=20160823002642

Look, we've told you before. Fr. Murphy used to just give you rohypnol when you were in boarding school. Hence the tiredness the morning after. And that was jizz he was injecting you with, not fat. The reason you are fat is that you continuously over-eat to block out the memory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

A combination of things.

It starts in childhood.

Our schools would rather waste time on religion indoctrination lessons and a dead useless language than proper physical education and home economics classes. Our children are driven to, and collected from school, instead of walking and cycling.

Overworked parents are too tired to cook proper dinners for their children, relying on takeaways and processed junk

On the otherhand, the permanent social welfare class are too lazy, uneducated, drunk/high to give a **** about their kids and send them to the chipper daily.

Fast food junk outlets everywhere.

A growing culture of big is beautiful delusions.

And then we’re listening to the left and charities bleating on about child poverty blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Alot of Irish people tend to eat meals that are not particular wholesome. We like our salt and veg which has been almost boiled to nothing.

Been guilty of that myself.

Eating said meals in front of the TV doesn't help either.

Yep, better at the dinner table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The sheer amount of takeaways is unbelievable.

Every corner and street.
    Such an unhealthy nation and our hospitals can’t cope because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Piss off OP you judgemental dick. Typical Irish mentality.

Are you fat:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The sheer amount of takeaways is unbelievable.

I'm far from perfect myself and definitely not one of 'my body is a temple' crowd but the amount of takeaways selling the same rubbish is mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Perhaps instead of just adding sugar taxes. They could use those taxes to help lowering the prices of fresh healthy foods. Actually financially promote healthy food not just wasted campaigns hey eat this, it's good.

Ultimately it is a parents burden to teach their kids the importance of healthy food and balance.

And then we’re listening to the left and charities bleating on about child poverty blah blah.

No reason for it to exist in this country with all the supports.

Of course I'm talking about real poverty. Not the do-gooder "Johnny hasn't the latest games machine from Santy, he's deprived" bollocks

Curb your fattitude there big guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Perhaps instead of just adding sugar taxes. They could use those taxes to help lowering the prices of fresh healthy foods.
    Vegetables are usually the cheapest things in any supermarket. People just can't be arsed buying them and cooking them. It's great for me though, I can make litres of soup for half nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Simples: the famine and 800 years of jackboot oppression etc. or whatever we were taught in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Crap wet weather for such a huge chunk of the year. I exercise a good deal from Spring to Autumn, and I like healthy food (plenty of delicious healthy food - it's not just lettuce) but I cave into the temptation of the couch and extra carbs from November (at the earliest) until April (at the earliest - Spring starting in March hasn't been a thing for a few years).
    Every negative thing that could be found anywhere seems to be just an Irish thing or typically Irish according to this site. :)

Yeah, well, it's never been a fair contest of simple "free will" given the enormous propaganda by corporations explicitly or implicitly claiming their foods are healthy - the cereal companies, for instance, market products absolutely heaving with sugar as "healthy" - it's unsurprising that far more people are eating crap now. It's going to get much worse before it gets better.

Just look at the sort of products that are given pride of place in your local supermarket. And almost always on some "special" so you can riddle yourself with 4000 calories of nutritionally awful "food" rather than 2000 calories. In Sweden, at least when I lived there in the 1990s, there was far, far, far less junk food for sale and it was tucked away in the back of the shop. That prioritising of healthy food over junk food is the norm across continental Europe. When I was young a 330ml can of Coke was a big treat on a Saturday. And when the 500ml 'Supercan' was introduced in Ireland in the early 80s, it was huge. People are not only drinking it/eating crap more often, but the amount of it is far greater than it was in the 80s.

There are progressive things which an Irish government could do to change the emphasis in favour of healthy products in shops in Ireland, but expect all the "free market" fundamentalists to spout on about "Nanny state" and the like. It really is an uneven battle between those firms promoting genuinely healthy food, and those frequently enormously wealthy firms promoting junk.

And you're certain to get 100 threads here bashing the brainwashing of has-been religious powers for every thread that mentions the brainwashing of our supposedly enlightened rampant consumer culture in 2018. All the bad things happened in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Beasty wrote: »
    Simple

Not enough cyclists. Join us and you'll be skinny before you know it.....

Loads of fat ****ers cycling around on bikes in Dublin. Cycling does **** all for you in terms of burning calories. I stopped cycling to work 3 months ago. I weigh the same as I did three months ago.

and the bogger mentality of a dinner plate heaped with food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Curb your fattitude there big guy

I bet he/she has a massive belly hanging off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Perhaps instead of just adding sugar taxes. They could use those taxes to help lowering the prices of fresh healthy foods. Actually financially promote healthy food not just wasted campaigns hey eat this, it's good.

Ultimately it is a parents burden to teach their kids the importance of healthy food and balance.

most cr@p is made from wheat corn sugar and soy however these are the most important lobbies in countries like the US. going by the government food pyramids they want their population fay and bloated. though the recent storming of the west dublin lidl for a sugar fix should be a wake up call :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Loads of fat ****ers cycling around on bikes in Dublin. Cycling does **** all for you in terms of burning calories. I stopped cycling to work 3 months ago. I weigh the same as I did three months ago.

Yeah really does nothing, waste of time for fitness purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lucky auld me! Hate skinny bitchs! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement