Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are so many fat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Patww79 wrote: »
    Swedish people are attractive so it's worth their while to be in shape.

So if the vikings took all the ugly women home instead of the stunners we'd be better lookin and thinner.

Bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

A mild, dry evening in the Winter, yes, I get that - but unfortunately much of the Winter (and some Autumn/Spring) is not so pleasant. I agree on the muggy aspect of Summer, but evening about 9pm after a sunny day is the biz for exercising.

You don't get this argument? Surely you can understand how it would be unappealing for many to go out in the dark when it's wet and windy?

He's right. I run a lot and winter is a far better time for it. Our new stormy season in Jan and Feb is a bit of a blocker but otherwise the cool and damp conditions are far better than punishing heat and humidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

My ex is Swedish and she's a big, fat bitch!

Stupid lard ass cow, with her stupid modelling career and Olympic volleyball medal!

They're not even proper jobs or sports.

Stupid fatso with her stupid PhD!

Luckily I'm over her.

Very harsh. Maybe you just wanted different things from life.

You wanted to travel, see the world, broaden your horizons. She wanted to be a big, fat bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Of course it is, but either way, that's what puts people off exercising.

I dunno if I'm getting my point across - I'm not saying the weather physically prevents people from exercising, just that it's enough to make people not bother. Windy, rainy (even if mild) evening out running versus cosy evening in watching Netflix and a few beers. This is I firmly believe part of what makes Irish people in general chubbier than people in e.g. L.A.

Plus the darkness is endless, making it trickier for people in the countryside.

Yeah it was very dull and raining when i got home from work today, but i made myself get the bike out of the shed and go out for 2 hours. You need to want to exercise and lose weight(currently about 21Ibs overweight myself)...too much beer and pizza for me while doing up the new house.

But its raining isn't an excuse not to go for a 30 minute walk(unless you have issues that could be made worse by the rain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Loads of fat ****ers cycling around on bikes in Dublin. Cycling does **** all for you in terms of burning calories. I stopped cycling to work 3 months ago. I weigh the same as I did three months ago.
    shakeitoff wrote: »
    Yeah really does nothing, waste of time for fitness purposes.
    This post has been deleted.

Except that you're far more likely to be killed by cancer, heart disease, hypertension or diabetes than a bus - and regular exercise, such as cycling, is a great way to reduce these risks:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Irish people don't know how to cook in general. For generations we survived on a staple diet of bad meat and two veg with bread and butter. Bland, bland and bland again. But we were outdoors more and got more exercise, because we didn't drive everywhere. Once we became wealthier we were driving everywhere, buying more fast food and falling into the habit of eating crap on a more regular basis because we could afford it. I'm nearly 47 and as a kid the only treat I got was at the weekends. It was unheard of to eat any kind of chocolate/crisps etc Monday to Friday. We couldn't afford it. These days, you walk into Dealz and for a tenner you can walk out with 30 fooking bars of chocolate.:eek:

Long commutes have also contributed to things. It prevents good home cooking. Restaurants are also to blame with their crappy kids menus of nuggets, sausages, chips as if kids are pre ordained to eat that muck while out. I told a story here recently about my own daughter, who at 10 years of age can recognise the lazy attitude of kids dining out menus. She much prefers a smaller portion of a proper meal from the menu. Servers still balk at her attitude. She likes water with a meal too. Me and her mammy are old school, but we are constantly teaching her to learn about quality meals and ignore all the processed crap out there. I'm guilty of eating bad meals, but I'm lucky enough to be able to cook decent and healthy meals at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I wonder does having your main meal of the day earlier have anything to do with that...

My Parents when growing up got their dinners at lunch time from School, and had a smaller supper in the evening

ive not heard that it is significant , it might have been inherited based on agricultural schedules and pre electric era? but apart from sugar being new in the diet, eating 16 hours a day was certainly not part of human history. back in the 70's a kid would have been given a clatter if they were caught "spoiling their appetite" :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

I’m looking out the window at 10 houses and the 2 with overweight people are the same ones where the take away drivers arrive up 5 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Are we really worse than other countries?

Having lived in London, the UK is probably worse than us.

They obsess over extremely unhealthy fast food over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Irish people don't know how to cook in general.
    Irish people - is there anything they're not sh-t at?! :D

Oh yes, self flagellating. ;)

But nah, obviously there are numerous Irish people who can't cook - but it's doubtful that Irish people in general can't cook.

This is a country that loves good quality food - endless superb restaurants with fresh ingredients.

I agree portion sizes is another major factor, and the normalisation of getting sweets/junkfood regularly, but this doesn't at all mean Irish people in general can't cook.

80s and early 90s children (me being one) were fed terrible processed crap - the quality is much better today. But we were not fed gigantic amounts of it, and sweets and junkfood were just an occasional treat

It's a contradictory time of endless healthy options and endless high-calorie options.

• Advertisement

Of course it is, but either way, that's what puts people off exercising.

I dunno if I'm getting my point across - I'm not saying the weather physically prevents people from exercising, just that it's enough to make people not bother. Windy, rainy (even if mild) evening out running versus cosy evening in watching Netflix and a few beers. This is I firmly believe part of what makes Irish people in general chubbier than people in e.g. L.A.

Plus the darkness is endless, making it trickier for people in the countryside.

socio economic comes into that, dublin is like that too, compare the people walking around a supermarket in blackrock or dundrum to a working class area. in LA go to a slum area, or around middle america and there is probably more obesity.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Way fewer fat people than in the early 2010s and before. Since about 2012/13 people have become much more concerned with their appearance. Many factors have combined since around then to change peoples sense of what is normal with regard to diet, exercise, looking after your appearance and social status etc. As a result, the obesity rate has started to decline. Among people in their 20s and younger it is certainly not an epidemic. Threads like this are less a reflection of reality than something created without having thought extensively about the changes that have happened over the last few years.

One example of how our norms have changed is this: in the 2000s it was quite common for some people to not drink water; they would drink stuff like orange juice, fizzy drinks, mi wadi etc. instead. They didn't see this as abnormal, instead they just "didnt like water". The thought of the amount of sugar in grams or the number of calories they were putting into their body didn't occur strongly to them and when people pestered them about it just felt like something theoretical and that it didnt really matter in the short run - they thought fuzzily about it. Now I would guess there are few people who rarely drink water - look around any workplace, college, street and most people drink plenty of it, possibly with coffee, tea or diet soft drinks, all of which show evidence of a conscious avoidance of sweetened beverages. In the far future, the obesity epidemic around the world of circa 1990s - 2010s, caused mostly by highly palatable cheap foods, particularly those high in sugar, will be as transient as the gin craze of the 18th century in London was.

Also, when you think of it; in the 80s drinking coke was something associated with the rich, in the 90s it was for both the rich and a treat for the rest, in the 2000s it was for all classes equally, early 2010s primarily working class, nowadays most people drink little of it.

Well someone is drinking it!! Coca Cola are booming in Ireland over the last few years

“Turnover for the year ended December 31st, 2016, was €162.3 million, which represented a decrease of 2.8 per cent on the €167 million the year before.

However, operating profit for the year at the Dublin-based company was €11.3 million, which was up almost 56 per cent on the €7.2 million the year before.”

Irish people - is there anything they're not sh-t at?! :D

Oh yes, self flagellating. ;)

But nah, obviously there are numerous Irish people who can't cook - but it's doubtful that Irish people in general can't cook.

This is a country that loves good quality food - endless superb restaurants with fresh ingredients.

I agree portion sizes is another major factor, and the normalisation of getting sweets/junkfood regularly, but this doesn't at all mean Irish people in general can't cook.

80s and early 90s children (me being one) were fed terrible processed crap - the quality is much better today. But we were not fed gigantic amounts of it, and sweets and junkfood were just an occasional treat

It's a contradictory time of endless healthy options and endless high-calorie options.

Seriously, despite our celebrity chefs and fancy restaurants, we are not renowned for being a nation of good cooks. Name a signature Irish dish that's reasonably healthy or even known for being tasty. Irish Stew? What about Boxty? Awful ****e altogether. Beef in Guinness maybe? Do any of us make this at home? No. As an island nation, the only fish we seem associated with in general is deep fried in batter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Seriously, despite our celebrity chefs and fancy restaurants, we are not renowned for being a nation of good cooks. Name a signature Irish dish that's reasonably healthy or even known for being tasty. Irish Stew? What about Boxty? Awful ****e altogether. Beef in Guinness maybe? Do any of us make this at home? No. As an island nation, the only fish we seem associated with in general is deep fried in batter.

Koka noodles?

Koka noodles?

Denny sausages? Your turn.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Healthy food is as cheap as chips, most vag is less than a €1/Kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

I honestly never see proper obese people, how is this viewed as an epidemic? The only fat people I see are over 50. No man I know is obese, some girls seem to be because our society has done a bad job at encouraging girls to keep up sports. The amount of girls I know who stopped playing sport for their LC was astounding.

Ireland is just to influenced by the fitness fad though. Everybody is eating(or attempting to) like bodybuilders/fitness models when they really don't need to be. Some of the ****e people eat because it's healthy is crazy(Big dollops of peanut butter to hit macros for example). Just eat a normal, balanced diet and stay away from take aways. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Speaking as a 25 stone man who's 23 years and fat all his life, food and lots of it is nice. I also had the philosophy of hard work is rewarded in the future and laziness is rewarded now.

No excuses about it though, most of my life I've been a lazy yoke who ate almost exclusively bad without a care for what the food was, just that it was nice

Lost a stone the last 3 weeks after starting swimming and eating a lot loss and better though so here's hoping to a smaller future

• Advertisement

I honestly never see proper obese people, how is this viewed as an epidemic? The only fat people I see are over 50. No man I know is obese, some girls seem to be because our society has done a bad job at encouraging girls to keep up sports. The amount of girls I know who stopped playing sport for their LC was astounding.

Ireland is just to influenced by the fitness fad though. Everybody is eating(or attempting to) like bodybuilders/fitness models when they really don't need to be. Some of the ****e people eat because it's healthy is crazy(Big dollops of peanut butter to hit macros for example). Just eat a normal, balanced diet and stay away from take aways. Simple.

Unfortunately the definition of "obese" has been driven beyond a certain kind of normality. If your BMI is anyway out of kilter your a fat bastard or bitch. I remember being told that by a chipper fed overweight GP.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd like to recommend a YouTube to y'all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so confident that obesity is on the decline. We know more about nutrition than ever but I’m not convinced that that necessarily translates to healthier eating. There are more self-professed foodies around than ever before and I’m not sure that they are watching their portion sizes!

I think we're getting a bit more divided, similar to the likes of the US. We're getting more super-healthy & fit people and simultaneously more obese people, with less in-between.

I think anecdotally there are quite clear divides based on age and social class, not so much sex from what I see (though I realise the stats indicate incidence is slightly higher amongst males). Working in a professional environment, and a much lower percentage of the people seem to be obese relative to the general population. There does seem to be higher prevalence amongst more working-class people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The other day I was on a break from lunch and there was a glam gran-young mammy-toddler combo nearby. The toddler was crying out for a drink so mammy fills its bottle with a sizeable portion of mi wadi. But then the gran and young mammy were both overweight themselves so it's a generational thing. The poor toddler probably won't see any other way. Bad parenting is passed down, and I assume healthy eating isn't high on the priority list either.

Amirani wrote: »
    I think we're getting a bit more divided, similar to the likes of the US. We're getting more super-healthy & fit people and simultaneously more obese people, with less in-between.

I think anecdotally there are quite clear divides based on age and social class, not so much sex from what I see (though I realise the stats indicate incidence is slightly higher amongst males). Working in a professional environment, and a much lower percentage of the people seem to be obese relative to the general population. There does seem to be higher prevalence amongst more working-class people.

I see loads of obese “professionals” about the place

• Advertisement

There are many, but anecdotally the proportion I see seems to be much less (may be just the industries that I've worked in). Certainly in terms of obestity anyway, may be similar in the overweight measures.

The stats do back this up by the way. There is an inverse correlation between obesity and income.

No. It might all go over your head a bit though.

Older I reckon, the younger they are, the less likely imo.

No. It might all go over your head a bit though.

the insulin model of weight gain is a better one than the physics model of calories in calories out for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Whats with the jeans that go over the belly and up near the tits??

Everyone is different ,no ones perfect, be happy with what you got and all that.

But a lot of women with these jeans on, they are not sexy. It looks like your pregnant. Is that fashion or just fatness?

You'll watch it. You'll watch it three times. After watching it three times you'll send me a PM thanking me for drawing your attention to that YouTube channel.

Fashion but it only looks good on very thin girls, if a girl has any curves(and I don't mean fat) it isn't a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Fashion but it only looks good on very thin girls, if a girl has any curves(and I don't mean fat) it isn't a good look.

this is what i mean, Not attractive at all.

plus-size-model-41.jpg

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Whats with the jeans that go over the belly and up near the tits??

Everyone is different ,no ones perfect, be happy with what you got and all that.

But a lot of women with these jeans on, they are not sexy. It looks like your pregnant. Is that fashion or just fatness?

Guessing they're trying to make their legs appear longer?

Older I reckon, the younger they are, the less likely imo.

Isn’t that true regardless of social class

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I just like bicuits

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Healthy food is as cheap as chips, most vag is less than a €1/Kg.
    Not to mention, vag is delicious. I love to eat vag.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I always found exercising outdoors way more pleasant in winter so I don’t get this argument. Our winters are mild and you warm up fast. Summer is when it’s hardest to exercise, IMO. It’s warm and muggy. And I barely noticed rain when I was exercising. And when I did, it was refreshing.
    Indeed. It's been difficult exercising the last few weeks, harder to get the calories in to provide enough fuel, harder to get to sleep which aids recovery, can be quite draining.

Water and coke are both delicious for different reasons. Hate to see a world where sugary foods and drinks are gradually being removed from the shelves and our choice to drink them occasionally being removed with it.
    Everything in moderation. While I understand the rationale behind the sugar tax, it's bollocks for people who can have sugary foods without doing the dog on it. If I'm going to have a fizzy drink, and I wouldn't often have one, but I'd rather have a full sugar drink than some ****e imitation filled with artificial sweeteners. And stevia, a natural sweetener, causes headaches, so that's bollocks too.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

plus-size-model-41.jpg
    I'd belt it into her. My testosterone is through the roof. I'd get up on a gust of wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I have my own (mad) theory on this subject.

As a kid in the 70s all we had was feckin boiled everything. Boiled spuds, boiled cabbage, boiled bacon - and boiled to death at that. That was yer dinner - eat it or starve. Mammys generation ate what granny ate, what her granny ate - boiled stuff.

Then the chippers arrived, and the breakfast rolls, the chocolate - all pretty much unattainable in the past, became available and very affordable. After years of boiled stuff we suddenly experienced flavour.

We were sitting ducks for sugar, fat and salt addiction. We don't have a culture of good cooking like France, or Italy for example. The current 30 year olds fling some dolmio into a pan - we're having Italian food tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Amirani wrote: »

I don’t know, I see plenty of gut-sporting professionals. Anyone who eats out a lot will likely struggle with their weight as restaurant portions are generally huge and the ‘eat out regularly’ cohort is more likely to be a professional.

I think we’ve never known more about food and it seems like people think having the knowledge is enough to keep the weight off. But do they apply it to their lives correctly?

Obesity has been an issue for the lower socioeconomic class for a long time but I think it’s spreading upwards too. And as the economy recovers, people are eating out more and more. I see the obesity upward trend continuing unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

plus-size-model-41.jpg

Wouldnt say no.....

The other day I was on a break from lunch and there was a glam gran-young mammy-toddler combo nearby. The toddler was crying out for a drink so mammy fills its bottle with a sizeable portion of mi wadi. But then the gran and young mammy were both overweight themselves so it's a generational thing. The poor toddler probably won't see any other way. Bad parenting is passed down, and I assume healthy eating isn't high on the priority list either.

Two people in the thread making a devil out of miwadi? It’s sugar free for a start and even then you only use a very small amount. I use it all the time to make water taste nice I reckon about 50 mls to a pint of water. There is nothing wrong with miwadi, maybe people are mixing it up with something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Two people in the thread making a devil out of miwadi? It’s sugar free for a start and even then you only use a very small amount. I use it all the time to make water taste nice I reckon about 50 mls to a pint of water. There is nothing wrong with miwadi, maybe people are mixing it up with something else.

Sure if you listened to what half the ones on here say is good/bad for ya we all be dead ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Someone has to go to all the chippers. Seriously some day just look around and observe how many takeaway joints are around your town or city.

A lot of people go to these places 3/4 times a week and a smaller percentage go every single day.

I do believe you are what you eat, obesity is caused by diet not the lack of exercise. We are turning into a really obese nation, I'm the opposite with exercise I run during the winter and give a break during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Fatness = laziness

Fat people eat too much and/or don’t exercise enough.

It’s RARE that people are fat for medical reasons. Yes, it happens. But the majority of fatties walking around are lazy people who stuff their cakeholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't think a lot of people have a good understanding of portion control. Just today at lunch, I went out with a colleague and got served a huge burger - two patties, a load of bacon on top. Plus fries and a salad. I finished a little under half of the burger. When the waitress came over, she looked at my plate and asked if everything was alright with my food. It was fine, but how am I supposed to eat something that huge, plus sides, in one setting? What I did eat left me more than full all afternoon.
    But this happens to me all the time at restaurants. I can only finish about half of what they serve me which leads the waiters to think I didn't like my meal. I infer from this, that most people have no trouble finishing their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Sn@kebite

This time last year I was 17st and now I'm 13st. I injured my lo wer back last year and contributing factors were inactivity, poor posture, too much sitting and being overweight. I've gone through hell for 15 months with an epidural in march and painful physio. My pain is only subsiding now from a bulged disc.

As to why I was overweight is mathematics. If you eat more calories than you burn your body stores energy as fat to use later. However the reasons for not being active and eating too much are incredibly complex. I was in college and suffering with nerves in exams and failing physics and maths exams. I suppose I ate out of stress as a coping mechanism. I don't smoke or drink so some ppl might smoke, do drugs or gamble as a release but they may not get fat.

I had to drop out of Uni because I couldn't stand or walk for 9 months in pain. Ironically I started losing weight rapidly, deliberately, but also the injury meaned I felt sick out of panic so did not feel hungry so ate less. This helped me lose weight. So a negative feedback loop formed.

People who look at overweight individuals as greedy or lazy are ignorant usually. Just like alcoholism, depression, suicide, drug addiction; there is a myriad of psychological issues taking place in the background. It is 90% psychologically based IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

We're obsessed with dieting and food fads and "clean eating" and gluten-free and dairy-free and veganism and "juice cleansing". I see a fair amount of orthorexia in the people around me every day. Total demonisation of perfectly normal foods because of their "high sugar/fat content" and a real black-or-white approach to food and nutrition that excludes the age-old notion of everything in moderation.

Funnily enough I found an old magazine from ten years ago recently and it featured a piece on that pop band The Saturdays doing one of those "what I eat in a typical day" interviews. Their diets were so...normal. Non-fussy and non-neurotic. Bowl of special K for breakfast, chicken sandwich for lunch. Spaghetti bolognese or meat, spuds and vegetables for dinner. And they were all slim as can be. I remember thinking jesus it's a long time since I've seen someone let alone a celebrity admitting to eating in such a non-specialised, non-complicated, non-elitist green smoothie with magic pixie fairy dust kinda way.

And that's the thing. All of this over-complication of the basic function of eating and obsession over macros and fixation on eliminating entire food groups means we actually know fcuk all about nutrition when it comes down to it. And everything you put in your mouth that's not a carrot stick is a potential grenade.

Most of the people I know with weight problems are constantly going on and off unrealistic diets that wouldn't be sustainable for a toddler let alone a grown man/woman and have gotten their self esteem wrapped up in that effort to lose weight that ultimately fails every time. And they just wind up fatter and more hopeless.

I was eating a cereal bar this morning when a colleague said "I don't know how you eat that stuff and stay tiny!" A fcuking cereal bar! Seriously like. I'll eat chocolate most days, proper addicted to those kinder fingers at the moment the things are like crack cocaine, I just don't deprive myself and wind up in a closet ramming 40 of the things down my throat with my face covered in chocolate because I've cut out three food groups and have replaced meals with shakes and finally the urge got the better of me.

The slim people I know eat whatever the fcuk they want, in moderate quantities, and are active enough to never accrue a significant calorie surplus.

Advertisement