Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are so many fat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It's a tricky balance, I agree that it shouldn't be valorised, but at the same time it arose out of a context where it was reasonably socially acceptable to be a dick about a stranger because of their appearance.

You see people who are overweight talking about how when they start exercising in public to try and lose weight, people give them shít. If someone's fat and very confident, high-self esteem, has fun with their appearance then yeah I do think fair play to them because that must be very hard.

Anyways, I've been trying to eat healthy and exercise for about the last year or so. I used to have about three takeaways a week, that's down to one or two a month. I was fairly sedentary, now I walk 18k a week and do about an hour of yoga. Cut way down on pints from often 15-20 in the week. Cut out loads of processed sugar, cooking way more at home from scratch, no more sitting down with a family pack of crisps or chocolate just for me.

I've lost about five pounds. Because I was slim to begin with, despite my diet and lifestyle, from pure genetic luck. I remember at one point walking back from the off licence with a bag of cans and being out of breath, and a woman about two stone heavier than me went past on her evening run. If I'd dropped those cans and tried to chase her, I could not have caught her, and I'd hazard a guess she was eating healthier (or at least making the effort, education and upbringing are such big issues there) than me too.

I'd also hazard a guess which one of us got more people saying, and thinking, that we were a lazy, excuse-making, greedy pig :( This shít IS mostly about appearance, and it IS mostly aimed at women, despite the fact that in this country and most others more men than women are obese and overweight.

Good post but I don't agree with that line. Men are just as much under pressure these days from my experience. You only need to look at the amount of them joining gyms, doing weights etc to see the effects that image is having on men. In part a good one to lead a healthier life but for many, it is an obsession.

I had a chat with an incredibly intelligent young guy recently who has led a pretty sheltered life. He isn't overweight or unhealthy. I asked him what his plans were for the summer, his response was something along the lines of he wanted to get buff. I can't really give the context to how funny this was coming from this young guy who has so much going for him but could only see this self-image issue of needing muscles to attract women. I think men as just as self-conscious these days about how they look especially younger ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Duck Soup wrote: »
    But fat? Jesus wept, apparently it's always open season on the land whale. I've had complete strangers shout at me. It seems to stir some deep, psychic animus in people. Perhaps it's just a reflexive primal disgust related to bad genetic specimens that need to be expelled from the herd. I dunno.
    It's immediately visible. I think it's as simple as that. We don't wear our lungs, liver, pancreas, adrenal glands on the outside so if someone looks healthy enough and doesn't stand out then they don't get noticed. Humans tend to be set off by whatever is obvious and stands out. We're also avoidant of what we may see as the unusual, the unhealthy, the different. Makes sense that we would as ignoring visible sickness or signifiers of that wouldn't be good for survival. We also have a "there but for the grace of god" thing going on and shouting at say fat people is in some ways a prayer to the heavens that we don't end up the same way. So overweight people are more likely to get all that crap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

LirW wrote: »
    I don't know, I got a good few comments if I liked cake more than I should recently but none suggesting I might be on medication now. And I'm not even a morbid size.
    Same goes for the funny lad a few pages back posting a picture of a girl and making comments about how attractive she is. How could you tell apart that she's just eating a lot or has a medical issue?

For the vast majority it is not a medical condition. Fair enough there are people out there alright, like the poster above who has cystic fibrosis, I respect that. But when you see a big person in Supermacs wolfing down their XL meal deal at 11am dressed in XXL Pennys clobber, you don't say to yourself 'Holy cow that poor soul needs to change up their meds'. Most of the time if it looks like a pig, eats like a pig then it's a big pig.

I say this as someone who's trying to shift just over a stone. I put that stone on because I simply consumed too many calories for the life I was living - like the vast majority of people carrying extra weight.

I appreciate that there are many reasons why people pile the pounds on. Be it apathy, anxiety, laziness or whatever - it still doesn't mean they're not accountable for their weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Candie wrote: »
    It's not hard to discuss this issue without firing out the insults, you know.

Don't be so sensitive, fat people are great at dishing it out (for once) to thin people. Nobody as quick to give out about "skinny bitches" as a fatty.

Don't be so sensitive.

You don't have to be obese to have a civil conversation about obesity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's not hard to discuss this issue without firing out the insults, you know.

You have lads throwing out insults who don't even recognise that the things they are saying are insults, that's how deeply ingrained the impulse to denigrate fat people is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's immediately visible. I think it's as simple as that. We don't wear our lungs, liver, pancreas, adrenal glands on the outside so if someone looks healthy enough and doesn't stand out then they don't get noticed. Humans tend to be set off by whatever is obvious and stands out. We're also avoidant of what we may see as the unusual, the unhealthy, the different. Makes sense that we would as ignoring visible sickness or signifiers of that wouldn't be good for survival. We also have a "there but for the grace of god" thing going on and shouting at say fat people is in some ways a prayer to the heavens that we don't end up the same way. So overweight people are more likely to get all that crap.

Yep. The only thing I'd add is that while we'd stare at other examples of genetic imperfection - facial disfigurement, hunchback, dwarfism etc., etc. - we'd never think of passing comment. Unless we were pîssed, in which case anything is possible.

The initial reaction is, as you say, to the visual. To stare, to shrink back a little. It's what that happens next that fascinates me. The reaction the visual 'shock' - the greater the level of evidence of genetic abnormality, the greater the shock - is immediate. Nearly always, it's to stare. Nearly always, this is followed by a social conditioned impulse to look away, so as not to be rude.

Not with lardism. There's a definite, and thunderous value judgement. I've had a complete stranger in a car, slow down, shout out "Fücking whale!" and then drive off. Next day, same guy, same car, winds down his window and shouts out the same thing. People are strange.

This visceral, often over-excited reaction to blubberness genuinely fascinates me. We see it often on these unending string of threads about porkers. Something approaching anger about fat people. Chill da fuq owt, ya skinny wånkers. Have another fag and a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Good post but I don't agree with that line. Men are just as much under pressure these days from my experience. You only need to look at the amount of them joining gyms, doing weights etc to see the effects that image is having on men. In part a good one to lead a healthier life but for many, it is an obsession.

I had a chat with an incredibly intelligent young guy recently who has led a pretty sheltered life. He isn't overweight or unhealthy. I asked him what his plans were for the summer, his response was something along the lines of he wanted to get buff. I can't really give the context to how funny this was coming from this young guy who has so much going for him but could only see this self-image issue of needing muscles to attract women. I think men as just as self-conscious these days about how they look especially younger ones.

Oh god the pressures young men are under to have the body beautiful are immense, it wasn't really that aspect of it I meant so much as the tone around discussing people who are overweight. Any time the conversation about the fat acceptance movement or why so many more people are overweight comes up it's aimed mostly at women and how dare the fat wagons think they're great when I don't want to fcuk them :mad:

Oh god the pressures young men are under to have the body beautiful are immense, it wasn't really that aspect of it I meant so much as the tone around discussing people who are overweight. Any time the conversation about the fat acceptance movement or why so many more people are overweight comes up it's aimed mostly at women and how dare the fat wagons think they're great when I don't want to fcuk them :mad:

It's nothing about how unattractive an overweight person might be. I personally think some girls look great with a little extra weight.

The problem I have with the fat acceptance movement is that it's trying to normalise obesity and even morbid obesity. I saw some videos on YouTube before where they were going as far as to celebrate it.

What kind of example is that for kids and is that really the best they can aspire to?

Maybe instead of running these campaigns and movements, they could work on some weight loss. I get the impression that would be just too much work for some people, instead they'll try and play the discriminatory card.

I saw one video where an obese woman was giving out that firemen weren't properly trained to cut a 1,200 pound man out of his house. That's what you're up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's nothing about how unattractive an overweight person might be. I personally think some girls look great with a little extra weight.

The problem I have with the fat acceptance movement is that it's trying to normalise obesity and even morbid obesity. I saw some videos on YouTube before where they were going as far as to celebrate it.

What kind of example is that for kids and is that really the best they can aspire to?

Maybe instead of running these campaigns and movements, they could work on some weight loss. I get the impression that would be just too much work for some people, instead they'll try and play the discriminatory card.

I saw one video where an obese woman was giving out that firemen weren't properly trained to cut a 1,200 pound man out of his house. That's what you're up against.

Realistically though, which attitude do you think is more common? How many people do you actually know, for example, who think being fat should be celebrated? I would say I don't know any, and nobody on this thread has expressed anything like that opinion. On the other hand, the number of people who really dislike people for being fat, is quite high, and there's ample evidence for that attitude being common right here on this thread. The idea that they are providing a counter-weight (if you'll excuse the term!) to a perceived prevalence of "fat-celebration" is just not true. Our culture is absolutely full of imagery of beautiful people to whom we are asked to aspire no matter how unrealistic that aspiration might be, and such images are absolutely everywhere, all the time. I would suggest that the idea that we are a society that is celebrating fatness is not borne out by real experience, but it is a notion that provides intellectual justification for the behaviour of people who refer to fat people as "lardasses" or "lazy fat fcukers", to quote two people from the last couple of pages on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

1200 pound is over 85 stone. I've had weight problems since I was a child brought on by poor diet side effects of medication medical complications and other extenuating circumstances I've lost 25kg and kept it off but still need to lose another 20-35kg as I have significant medical complications from when I was homeless a few years ago.

My diet is ****e as I am on disability allowance health food is extremely expensive and in a much lower quantity and also spoils much quicker than crappy foods I haven't eaten Dominos pizza in 5 years now I definitely think that was the game changer for me keeping off the weight but going from 155kg to 130kg is all well and good getting below 100kg is my target it's doable but **** me it's a hard process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

1200 pound is over 85 stone. I've had weight problems since I was a child brought on by poor diet side effects of medication medical complications and other extenuating circumstances I've lost 25kg and kept it off but still need to lose another 20-35kg as I have significant medical complications from when I was homeless a few years ago.

My diet is ****e as I am on disability allowance health food is extremely expensive and in a much lower quantity and also spoils much quicker than crappy foods I haven't eaten Dominos pizza in 5 years now I definitely think that was the game changer for me keeping off the weight but going from 155kg to 130kg is all well and good getting below 100kg is my target it's doable but **** me it's a hard process.

try fasting, its free

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Keep playing that harp you need practice

chicken legs are 1.50 a kg in aldi now. which i just found out. i freeze a lot
    i can't get over how cheap they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s definitely genetics in all this.

There’s a certain minority in Ireland and a HUGE percentage of them are obese. I mean HUGE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

This thread is making me hungry.

Keep playing that harp you need practice

it was actually a serious suggestion , look up Dr Jason Fung , he treats type 2 diabetics with it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm sorry that happens you. :(

I have ongoing health issues arising from being underweight, but no one ever called me unhealthy or expressed concern for my health even when my collarbone looked like a couple of chisels. Not once.

People pretend they're insulting overweight people out of some concern for their health, but really it's because they're bullies who think they have an easy target.

I'd tend more towards the underweight far more than the overweight and I have to say people can be pretty bloody pass-remarkable, but it'd be about a 70:30 chance of it being positive, "aren't you lucky to be so slim" and so on, I actually work in a chocolate shop and a wine bar so it comes up a bit. My favourite, for the purposes of this conversation is "It's great to see a girl who doesn't worry about all that nonsense and enjoys her food" as I tuck into a whole pizza for me or something. Guaranteed if I was a few sizes bigger and doing that it wouldn't be seen as great.

Definitely when I was younger I got called a skinny bitch a lot more, some of it was vicious enough in hindsight.

Although, if you want strangers and acquaintances to comment how thin you are and are you sick you're very thin, I'd recommend moving to rural Ireland :p

Realistically though, which attitude do you think is more common? How many people do you actually know, for example, who think being fat should be celebrated? I would say I don't know any, and nobody on this thread has expressed anything like that opinion. On the other hand, the number of people who really dislike people for being fat, is quite high, and there's ample evidence for that attitude being common right here on this thread. The idea that they are providing a counter-weight (if you'll excuse the term!) to a perceived prevalence of "fat-celebration" is just not true. Our culture is absolutely full of imagery of beautiful people to whom we are asked to aspire no matter how unrealistic that aspiration might be, and such images are absolutely everywhere, all the time. I would suggest that the idea that we are a society that is celebrating fatness is not borne out by real experience, but it is a notion that provides intellectual justification for the behaviour of people who refer to fat people as "lardasses" or "lazy fat fcukers", to quote two people from the last couple of pages on here.

I quoted the poster about 'the fat acceptance movement', they do certainly seem to want to push "fat-celebration" from watching their videos.

But on planet earth (free from cyber space) I do agree with you though in general - especially the unrealistic celebrity beach body that a lot of people are trying to recreate, which seems to be a lifestyle choice on the other end of the scale (no pun intended).

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    it was actually a serious suggestion , look up Dr Jason Fung , he treats type 2 diabetics with it

Fasting isn't really a great option as some of the medications for type 2 require a full stomach to work glicazide being one you need to take with food or after it, oxymoron of the medical variety. :o

Fasting isn't really a great option as some of the medications for type 2 require a full stomach to work glicazide being one you need to take with food or after it, oxymoron of the medical variety. :o

im not familiar with any type 2 meds but fasting is flexible, my guess is the fasting would consist of 24 hour fasts where you eat 1 meal a day say dinner and you could take your meds with that. he doesnt seem to have any issues getting his patients off their meds though.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Alot of Irish people tend to eat meals that are not particular wholesome. We like our salt and veg which has been almost boiled to nothing.

How does salt and over cooked veg increase our calorie intakes?

The reason people are fat is because they are eating more and exercising less. Carbs and fat and all the good stuff. Very hard to put on weight eating only salty boiled veg (though you might have other health problems from that in the long term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

greenspurs wrote: »
    Anyone mention Yoga pants and lycra leggings yet ?!?!? YECH !!!....

I was in france for 3 weeks and didn't see one female wearing them...
    landed back in Dublin loads of all sizes (mainly big) females walking around in them !!!

JUST STOP !!!!!

Nothing like a fine shapely arse in lycra, you must be a woman surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I am fat primarily out of bad habits, mainly surrounding physical exercise or lack there of. Of course overeating plays a significant part too.
    I think it stems won’t poor nutritional guidance as a child, which didn’t really come to light until the amount of exercise I did reduced as I got older. There’s probably some comfort eating as well due to emotional trauma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Yeah what is the obsession with lycra, I suppose we aren't as image conscious as the French but black leggings is the go to style for every young Irish 20 something who likes 'netflix, gym and mooch'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When was the last time you heard a fat person admit they are the size of a hippo because of what they eat?

Fat people are lazy, this extends to every aspect of their life including their thinking.

It's always a lazy excuse.

Never -"I'm fat because I'm a lazy overeating lardass"

Which is the case with the vast majority of land whales

I know plenty overweight people that are hard workers I also know thin people that are lazy, your logic is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

ford2600 wrote: »
    Slim people like me and it seems you can eat whatever we want and stay lean; the reason being that people respond very differently to the same calorie surplus.

Just caught this now and thought it was a good point to respond to. I really hate this "I have a friend who eats for Ireland and never gains weight...b1tch!" It usually reveals a lot about the person that says it - i.e they've got some really negative ideas about food, a 'good' v 'bad' food paradigm where any sugar/fat consumption automatically should mean a fat person, they maybe are caught in a starve-binge cycle or some other disordered eating mentality where someone on a pretty normal eating schedule is "always eating".

As humans we should be eating regularly and moving our bodies regularly and when we don't, things get out of sync and we can end up overweight very easily. But those "naturally skinny but eats nonstop so unfair" people usually are just people that don't have that disordered approach to food, respond to their hunger cues, stop when they're full and probably move about quite a bit too. Not blessed with some magic weight gain repeller or any other such notion.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    If you are lean and smug, you might like to know that not looking fat isn't a guarantee of metabolic health.

Lol I wish. I'm a former yo-yo dieter who lost 2 stone over the course of about three years by simply getting bored of dieting and stopping the neurotic calorie counting because it was getting me nowhere other than fatter and more miserable.

I still eat shyte, every day to be perfectly honest. I've had a few months of really crap eating due to stress and a busy work schedule and haven't gained an ounce because I move around quite a bit and don't overeat except for once in a blue moon these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Are people really claiming that some people aren't just more predisposed to being fat or at least looking fat. Body type will play a huge role in how fat you look. I have to stay at like 69kg(Male 28 5'8'') to look lean or I look like a chubster because of my proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Son of a bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atbde-owJLA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I found the answer OP.

shops.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I know plenty overweight people that are hard workers I also know thin people that are lazy, your logic is flawed.

They have to work harder to move all that blubber :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Zipppy wrote: »
    Why are so many Irish people fat?

Calling someone "fat" is offensive.

I think you will find the correct term these days is "pleasantly plump".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

When was the last time you heard a fat person admit they are the size of a hippo because of what they eat?

Fat people are lazy, this extends to every aspect of their life including their thinking.

It's always a lazy excuse.

Never -"I'm fat because I'm a lazy overeating lardass"

Which is the case with the vast majority of land whales

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said fat people are an easy target because they wear their major flaw on their person. People love to feel superior. But every single person has their own flaws. You have nothing to back up the claim that people are lazy because they are fat. One of my best friends is obese and is the hardest working person I know. Luckily her bosses aren’t as short-sighted as you and she is incredibly accomplished and flying in her career at one of the most coveted multinationals. She’s not an isolated example. Oh and my friend is very honest about why she’s overweight. Many fat people know very well that they overeat. Why would you think otherwise?

You are also flawed. I don’t know you. But I know you are flawed because you are human. That’s all I need to know. Climb down from the ol’ sanctimony pony, Sal.

Especially on the interwebs... I don't agree with that. For me it simply boils down to bad manners.

One thing I have noticed is what we tend to see as "normal" has gone heavier over the last generation or so. I look back at my old school daguerreotypes photos and the "fat lad" was a bit pudgy, but no way would he be noted as being particularly overweight nowadays. The photo of the woman a few pages back would be seen as decidedly heavy and yes "fat" pre the 1980's(especially for her age). Today, she'd more likely be labelled as "curvy".

+1. Personally I know more men with "middle aged spread" (even when they're not middle aged) than women. Which is backed by the stats. Men I've known who were about the same weight at 40 that they were at 20 are in the small minority. And unless a guy has an actual medical condition, then men have far fewer excuses for piling on the bellies. They don't have the hormonal stuff that encourages fat deposition, nor any sudden drop off in hormonal production as they age and they have more lean tissue.

Well yes and no. A while back I was reading stats into weight and obesity in the EU and what stood out in women's dress sizes was yes, say Italian and Spanish women at 20 were indeed thinner and by a couple of dress sizes or more than say Irish and UK women at 20, by 40-50 they were the same weight, with the Latin countries actually slightly higher. It's not quite so simple. EG Spain has the highest percentage of eating disorders in the EU and currently the fattest children. The latter does seem to be a lifestyle shift as a generation ago they had some of the lightest.

There’s no indication that LirW’s partner isn’t a genuine healthy weight as opposed to a skewed perception of normal. The MIL might just be rude about a healthy weight. It happens.

I would be amazed if the woman in the photograph on this thread wasn’t recognised as overweight by most people here. I personally think the “we don’t know what normal is anymore” thing is a tad overemphasised. For as long as there are people of genuinely healthy weight around (and there are still plenty), we have a reference point.

Let’s be honest. Dreaming about being morbidly obese is really fucking niche. It’s on the fringes and there it will stay. The vast majority of people want to be slim. Kids are generally not going to dream of being obese when they grow up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There’s no indication that LirW’s partner isn’t a genuine healthy weight as opposed to a skewed perception of normal. The MIL might just be rude about a healthy weight. It happens.
    It certainly does. There are enough rude insensitive pricks out there.
    I would be amazed if the woman in the photograph on this thread wasn’t recognised as overweight by most people here. I personally think the “we don’t know what normal is anymore” thing is a tad overemphasised. For as long as there are people of genuinely healthy weight around (and there are still plenty), we have a reference point.
    I dunno D, I've certainly seen it myself with some, including a couple who were decidedly delusional about it.

It's not nearly so bad here in Ireland compared to say the US, where the rising obesity levels have become somewhat normalised. Of course marketing types have added to this as they see a nice little earner from it. QV campaigns aimed at "plus size" women "with real curves" and so forth, at odds with the historical trend of underweight glamorexics usually paraded in fashion campaigns. Again women are the ones targeted for this stuff. One might argue that having "plus sized" women as well as those in need of more than champagne, ciggies and lettuce keeps the market confused and more paranoid and more eager to buy their snake oil.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Eat what you like to eat, just less of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Haha, funny that it's about my partner's weight now. I assure you he has a healthy BMI, his mother is just on a health trip since ever. She has 2 morbidly obese brothers while she's heading towards 70 and taking well enough care of herself. Now fair play to her, not everyone does and certainly not in that age but she's simply a bit of a mean person.Whenever a person eats cake or her husband has oven chips (once a week, every friday), she goes into hissy fit mode how people just eat crap.
    She's also the kind of person that has this deep urge to say that a dog or a child is ugly. She's just being like that. FIL told me before to just ignore her, she's always been like that and always will be.

Anagram for Mother in Law Woman Hitler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's not nearly so bad here in Ireland compared to say the US, where the rising obesity levels have become somewhat normalised. Of course marketing types have added to this as they see a nice little earner from it. QV campaigns aimed at "plus size" women "with real curves" and so forth, at odds with the historical trend of underweight glamorexics usually paraded in fashion campaigns. Again women are the ones targeted for this stuff. One might argue that having "plus sized" women as well as those in need of more than champagne, ciggies and lettuce keeps the market confused and more paranoid and more eager to buy their snake oil.

I've had a pretty interesting conversation about this with a friend of mine. Now that online shopping takes over and more people, especially women buy clothes online, why is there still every product shot with women that would be considered classic models?
    I'm not saying you should replace them with "real women, curvy blabla" but it would be rather interesting to see how a product looks on an average woman that has an average height and average weight? When size 14 is the most commonly sold clothes size in England why is there still every single product shot done with a size 6 or 8? If you're having an average bust like a lot of other women and you shop online you never get an idea on how it looks on an average lady when the model has an A cup and most likely doesn't need to wear a bra.
    Personally I think it would be cool to shoot products on two women, a model and an attractive lady that's a size 12 and 5'8. It would show so much better on how something looks on different women and surely it would decrease the massive number in returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

How does salt and over cooked veg increase our calorie intakes?

The reason people are fat is because they are eating more and exercising less. Carbs and fat and all the good stuff. Very hard to put on weight eating only salty boiled veg (though you might have other health problems from that in the long term).

I said that because it's part of poor eating exercises in general. You lose the goodness of veg if its boiled to mush, but that's just a small example and in my opinion we use too much salt.

The less wholesome food people are eating are takeaways, processed foods etc. Exercising alone won't be enough to fully combat that, it's food education first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Are people really claiming that some people aren't just more predisposed to being fat or at least looking fat. Body type will play a huge role in how fat you look. I have to stay at like 69kg(Male 28 5'8'') to look lean or I look like a chubster because of my proportions.

Yes, many studies have claimed exactly that.

Height isn't body type, Yes you need to eat less and stay lighter than the average male if you are shorter to maintain the same level of health. For example to be optimally healthy you would need to eat the same things but 5% less of each than an optimally healthy 6'2" male.

Not eating appropriately in line with your needs and therefore eating more than you personally need isn't being predisposed to being fat.

To stay at 69kg without doing too much exercise you can still eat 2500kcals/day (16 to 18 cals per pound of bodyweight).

That's plenty grubbing.

Augeo wrote: »
    To stay at 69kg without doing too much exercise you can still eat 2500kcals/day (16 to 18 cals per pound of bodyweight).

That's plenty grubbing.

It is plenty alright but that's a general guideline. If you're working in an office, driving to work and sitting on the couch every evening then 2,500kcals would be too much, it might not be enough if you're very active.

There's calculators online that give you a rough guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

_Dara_ wrote: »
    This is exactly what I was talking about when I said fat people are an easy target because they wear their major flaw on their person. People love to feel superior. But every single person has their own flaws. You have nothing to back up the claim that people are lazy because they are fat. One of my best friends is obese and is the hardest working person I know. Luckily her bosses aren’t as short-sighted as you and she is incredibly accomplished and flying in her career at one of the most coveted multinationals. She’s not an isolated example. Oh and my friend is very honest about why she’s overweight. Many fat people know very well that they overeat. Why would you think otherwise?

You are also flawed. I don’t know you. But I know you are flawed because you are human. That’s all I need to know. Climb down from the ol’ sanctimony pony, Sal.

Great post. It is so incredibly easy for people to judge with their eyes. They make simple assumptions without knowing a single thing about the person. Pointing out that people themselves are flawed generally I find falls on deaf ears because often the person people find hardest to look at is themselves. If you actually looked at the person who finds it so easy to make those kinds of judgments with so little understanding you wouldn't like yourself too much so I guess it is best to not look too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

GarIT wrote: »
    Yes, many studies have claimed exactly that.

Height isn't body type, Yes you need to eat less and stay lighter than the average male if you are shorter to maintain the same level of health. For example to be optimally healthy you would need to eat the same things but 5% less of each than an optimally healthy 6'2" male.

Not eating appropriately in line with your needs and therefore eating more than you personally need isn't being predisposed to being fat.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/283/5399/212

People show a huge variance to weight gain for the same calorie surplus.

You'll find hundreds of studies showing that. NEAT is the primary means by which lean people subconsciously achieve that.

Heavy people who diet and exercise will similarly subconsciously drop their NEAT once the weight starts to drop.

Weight loss and gain isn't the same for everyone

It is plenty alright but that's a general guideline. If you're working in an office, driving to work and sitting on the couch every evening then 2,500kcals would be too much, it might not be enough if you're very active.

There's calculators online that give you a rough guide.

Indeed, I'm eating 2000 kcals / day for the last 2 and a half months. I'm 5 10, was 16.5 stone and I'd train a bit with weights etc.

I find 2000 kcal /day more than enough if I eat relatively clean.

I'm losing close to 2 lbs /week.

The amount of takeaways in small towns surely has an effect. My hometown of about 6,000 people had 3 takeaways when I was growing up; 1 Chinese and 2 Chippers.

In the mid 00s, that expanded to 4 Chinese takeaways/restaurants, 4 chippers, 2 pizza takeaways and 2 Indian takeaways. The population growth in the town was not proportional to this.

As someone who travels the country for work and spends time in our smaller towns, I see this expansion in more places than my hometown.

Can't blame the takeaways themselves though, it's more down to our own attitudes, will power and local planning.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Where I live, there's 4 pubs and 4 betting offices. Standard enough really.
    But there's two traditional chippers (who do Pizza too), an Indian, two Chinese, a Thai/Chinese and an apache Pizza.
    The takeaways are rarely quiet of an evening.

Advertisement