Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are so many fat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I said that because it's part of poor eating exercises in general. You lose the goodness of veg if its boiled to mush, but that's just a small example and in my opinion we use too much salt.

The less wholesome food people are eating are takeaways, processed foods etc. Exercising alone won't be enough to fully combat that, it's food education first.

I disagree, I think people underseason in their homecooking generally. People are terrified of salt. It’s a flavour-enhancer, used correctly and the very light sprinklings people put in their cooking won’t do it. Anytime you have a delicious restaurant meal that doesn’t taste too salty, plenty of salt has been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I disagree, I think people underseason in their homecooking generally. People are terrified of salt. It’s a flavour-enhancer, used correctly and the very light sprinklings people put in their cooking won’t do it. Anytime you have a delicious restaurant meal that doesn’t taste too salty, plenty of salt has been used.

I'd imagine it's the salt in processed food that would do the damage he's talking about.

I'd say a lot of people buy ready made seasonings and spice mixs that are full of all kinds **** also!

Nothing beats the right amount of seasoning added when cooking! Makes huge difference and won't kill anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd imagine it's the salt in processed food that would do the damage he's talking about.

I'd say a lot of people buy ready made seasonings and spice mixs that are full of all kinds **** also!

Nothing beats the right amount of seasoning added when cooking! Makes huge difference and won't kill anyone!

Yup, ton of salt in processed foods.

Light sprinkle of sea salt for seasoning is grand, it's when you see people dump half a bottle of Saxa on food that I'd be a bit worried.

Exactly. Salt is a bogeyman and it’s why so much home-cooking is so bland.
    Light sprinkle of sea salt for seasoning is grand, it's when you see people dump half a bottle of Saxa on food that I'd be a bit worried.

Seriously, any good cooking will contain more than a sprinkling of salt. You’d raise your eyebrow at how much chefs use and the food won’t taste too salty if they are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

too much msg & hi fructose corn syrup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Exactly. Salt is a bogeyman and it’s why so much home-cooking is so bland.

Seriously, any good cooking will contain more than a sprinkling of salt. You’d raise your eyebrow at how much chefs use and the food won’t taste too salty if they are good.

Ya you shouldn't taste it. Its there to enhance the flavour s of other ingredients. Same goes for vinegar.
    If your tasting it there's to much of it. It's essential though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

I work in a primary school. We have a healthy eating policy and have stopped giving sweets as a reward but one of the things that I notice is that even the very healthy lunch box has huge portions.
    For first break some children have a tub of pasta and for lunch time they might have a sandwich fruit yougart a piece of cheese. There is usually about 5 things in the lunch box it would be more than I would bring for a day out hiking.
    I think our portion size is now super size. Then most children are dropped and collected from school so they have no way of burning off this amount of food.
    Also I notice that all the Irish children come to school by car even if they live within in walking distance where as the children whose parents are from other countries are more likely to walk. These children are usually better dressed for the weather well wrapped up and with umbrellas for the rain. They seem more used to going out in wet and cold than the children born to Irish parents.
    But I will say the majority of parents provide a healthy lunch but just way to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

coleen wrote: »
    I work in a primary school. We have a healthy eating policy and have stopped giving sweets as a reward but one of the things that I notice is that even the very healthy lunch box has huge portions.
    For first break some children have a tub of pasta and for lunch time they might have a sandwich fruit yougart a piece of cheese. There is usually about 5 things in the lunch box it would be more than I would bring for a day out hiking.
    I think our portion size is now super size. Then most children are dropped and collected from school so they have no way of burning off this amount of food.
    Also I notice that all the Irish children come to school by car even if they live within in walking distance where as the children whose parents are from other countries are more likely to walk. These children are usually better dressed for the weather well wrapped up and with umbrellas for the rain. They seem more used to going out in wet and cold than the children born to Irish parents.
    But I will say the majority of parents provide a healthy lunch but just way to much

On this ... you may be right, but I don't think it only applies to Irish mammies.
    As I have a primary school lunch box I need to prep for school&after school, last years I started following some bento-box recipes page on social media: moms from all over the world are showing off pics with their kids lunch boxes / I am mostly interested in suggestions for the after-school lunch.
    And the food quantities that appear to be sent to small children/pre-school level are shocking (as an adult woman I would need max 2/3 of some of these for my lunch).

And then - on the original post (ireland versus sweden), posting here another continental point of view:
    https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/073399-007-A/re-fat-and-beautiful/
    (note that this clip seems to only be available on this website for next few months)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/283/5399/212

People show a huge variance to weight gain for the same calorie surplus.

You'll find hundreds of studies showing that. NEAT is the primary means by which lean people subconsciously achieve that.

Heavy people who diet and exercise will similarly subconsciously drop their NEAT once the weight starts to drop.

Weight loss and gain isn't the same for everyone

Even the abstract of the paper you linked says that it's due to behaviour. The paper literally agrees with me and disagrees with you. It states that people or the same size typically have the same calorific requirements but micro behaviours like fidgeting and maintaining correct posture can collectively burn up 500 or more calories per day in extreme cases.

Just like the other poster with height, I wouldn't call being a fidgety person or not being predisposed to being a certain weight. As always to need to calculate to the best of your abilities your TDEE and eat appropriately.

If you're a person that doesn't move very much and therefore don't need to eat enough to fuel those micro movements I wouldn't say you are predisposed to being fat, I'd just say that you're eating too much for your activity level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Out of serious interest, what would be an appropriate lunch? I give mine a sandwich, usually some piece of fruit and a bit of veg, all in one plastic box and a bottle of water.
    That was on the guideline sheet the school gave out. Kid also complained that the treat I'm giving him on Friday (treat day) is usually a small sweet. Also a no-nut policy rules a lot of processed food out anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

one thing i would say there is that kids have too many eating breaks not helped by advertisers not far of suggesting they need an energy drink and snickers to walk home or kick a ball about. kids (and everyone else) dont need to eat anything between breakfast and lunch

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Dealz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Seriously feck off.

Its a free world.

I think I can relate. I was always so skinny that I was accused of having anorexia, fast forward to ten years later I am morbidly obese. I was told so often that my skinny frame was so ugly and men like real women, that I forced myself to eat. I found out I really like food and now I am a sloth on a couch and rolls I can play with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

What a stupid thread. The more fat people there are, the more big muscles are appreciated and I can feel better about myself for exercising. If evryone was fit, nobody would be special and the world would be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres a few selected to play sports at schools,
    all secondary schools should have compulsory physical education
    The average teen has a mobile phone ,tablet,acess to the web.
    plus cable tv or satellite. plus an xbox or a ps4, or a nintendo console.
    Maybe young people exercise less than previous generations who had less entertainment options.
    Is there any education at schools re healthy eating,
    the importance of exercise .
    There,ll always be some people who choose not to exercise much.parents lead by example,
    how many parents order fast food every week.
    i walked or cycled to school every day.

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    What a stupid thread. The more fat people there are, the more big muscles are appreciated and I can feel better about myself for exercising. If evryone was fit, nobody would be special and the world would be boring.

Were long past the stage that being ripped is seen as special. If you were ripped and had big muscles in 2005 you were exceptional and enjoyed a highly pleasurable life and got lots of attention and admiration. Every loser is ripped nowadays so those who are neither get nor deserve admiration for it. It is also much easier to get ripped nowadays since knowledge is more readily available, foods that promote that look are more easily bought and going to the gym feels more like something for everyone and not just “other people”. It is the new normal, baseline physique to have. If only everyone hadn’t made it boring and non-exceptional by posting pics of themselves online constantly and everyone hadn’t become obsessed with the gym and their diet in an effort to stave off insecurity, depression and anxiety as a result of post-2008 features of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

That's so true, everyone and their mother works out and you can't really tell someone is 'ripped' unless their shirt is off anyway. And 'big muscles' will only ever be appreciated by a small subset of women and other male gym goers.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Were long past the stage that being ripped is seen as special. If you were ripped and had big muscles in 2005 you were exceptional and enjoyed a highly pleasurable life and got lots of attention and admiration. Every loser is ripped nowadays so those who are neither get nor deserve admiration for it. It is also much easier to get ripped nowadays since knowledge is more readily available, foods that promote that look are more easily bought and going to the gym feels more like something for everyone and not just “other people”. It is the new normal, baseline physique to have. If only everyone hadn’t made it boring and non-exceptional by posting pics of themselves online constantly and everyone hadn’t become obsessed with the gym and their diet in an effort to stave off insecurity, depression and anxiety as a result of post-2008 features of life.
    I'm fit, slim with lean muscle, but not ripped. I've got no problem pulling stunners, despite not being ripped or being the best looking lad in the room. For me it's more about personality though, no point in being with someone who does your head in.

I think some of the people who are constantly posting on instagram have mental problems, with all due respect, some of them look deformed whether it's through over-building certain parts of them or by the poses that they pull trying to show off certain parts of their body. They try very hard (too hard?!) to paint a picture of a perfect life.

I have too much going on in my life, my work life is too varied, to even consider being bodybuilder ripped, but that's not my definition of fitness. I've lifted things at work that people twice as strong as me struggle to lift because they have no technique for real world applications. They spend an inordinate amount of time in the gym, whereas I go in, do the work, and get out.

The amount of supplements some people take as well is off the wall. When I have kids, I wouldn't want them to see me taking powders and pills and obsessing over my body. I'd want them to see me eating good food and exercising as part of my normal daily routine, not obsessing over it, taking photos of it, etc.

There's a great interview with Brian O'Driscoll where he talks about how he doesn't love the gym, he loved to play rugby. The gym was a necessary evil, a means to an end. While I'm far from a pro rugby player, I share his view.

The gym has its moments, sometimes you can have a great workout and it feels amazing but mostly I prefer to be out juggling a football or spraying cross field passes. The gym fad will probably die in 2 years I think. It's been going strong since about 2013 but went into overdrive in 2014 and has stayed constant but it will end soon. I think working out for looks is more or less dead already, at least amongst men.

• Advertisement

shakeitoff wrote: »
    The gym has its moments, sometimes you can have a great workout and it feels amazing but mostly I prefer to be out juggling a football or spraying cross field passes. The gym fad will probably die in 2 years I think. It's been going strong since about 2013 but went into overdrive in 2014 and has stayed constant but it will end soon. I think working out for looks is more or less dead already, at least amongst men.

This would make sense seeing as the reward men enjoy from going to the gym in terms of "how much more attractive than other lads" it makes them has shrunk hugely in recent years, as more men have started looking after themselves. The trade-off becomes less and less worth it for the effort expended. Also, as people age from their early to late 20s, earning a good wage matters more to women (and to yourself most likely) than you being "shredded", so men will spend less time being concerned with their appearance and more time concerned with their work, paying their mortgage, commuting to work etc. The younger generation might take their place or else might be slightly less interested perentage-wise, and over the following decade they might end up caring less and less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Pretzeluck wrote: »

Also, with so many fat children, men and women all over the country, where is the hate coming from? Surely fat people are the majority now and anyone who fat shames is as unacceptable as being racist. If you fat shame, the way statistics are, chances are your brother/wife/friend is fat and you have to watch what you say..

By the way, im not at all saying that its good for your health to be overweight im just surprised there is so much fat shaming when we are a fat country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Zipppy wrote: »
    Why are so many Irish people fat?
    I'm just back from Sweden where all the ladies are slim and trim incl older ladies and the men don't sport huge beer bellies..
    Back to Ireland and its fat fat fat everywhere?
    Laziness? Genes? Alcohol? What?

Lack of education from a young age on healthy nutrition and diet. I believe it's part of the Primary syllabus now so perhaps in years to come we'll see some results from that.

Huge numbers of fast food outlets here. The chipper has a lot to answer for.

Ireland has changed a lot in the last few decades but we still don't have the level of pressure to look beautiful that there is in Sweden. Beautiful is the norm there and they are genetically blessed in a way most Irish people just aren't which makes it easier for them to look great, so yes genes do play a part.

I lived there and you don't get away with looking like a slob if you want any respect. No-one would be seen dead in a trackie and trainers outside the gym where I lived. The bar is set very high for how one should look and that includes being a healthy weight. There's a lot of societal pressure to conform and look a certain way-slim and attractive. You don't become slim and attractive by shoving burgers and chips down your neck on the daily.

Sweden is a society where the vast majority are educated middle class middle income earners. There is no skanger underclass there that makes the rest of them look bad. Most people have a high disposable income and spend a LOT of money on fashionable clothes, hair and makeup to look their best. Seriously, shopping is the main pastime for many it seemed to me.

Personally I found the emphasis placed on how one looks too much there and the pressure to look a certain way and conform to how one 'should' look too high. Coming back to Ireland was a welcome break from that.

Likewise they've been taught from the time they're in Dagis- preschool what healthy food choices are and their parents have the time, energy and knowledge of how to cook healthy meals from scratch at home as they have a very good work/life balance with huge amounts of paid time off per year with holidays, parental leave, career breaks etc.

They have a pretty good health care system there. Better than Ireland's. Better healthcare, especially preventative means a healthier population.

They play a lot of sports and love outdoor activities- skiing, handball, football, cycling, innebandy (kind of like hockey) gym, ice skating etc. Yes we have the GAA and a lot more people are into fitness and different sports here in Ireland, but not enough. Many just don't care and have a YOLO attitude to their health and what they eat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also, with so many fat children, men and women all over the country, where is the hate coming from? Surely fat people are the majority now and anyone who fat shames is as unacceptable as being racist. If you fat shame, the way statistics are, chances are your brother/wife/friend is fat and you have to watch what you say..

By the way, im not at all saying that its good for your health to be overweight im just surprised there is so much fat shaming when we are a fat country.
    If we are getting fatter as a society then maybe we need more "fat shaming" rather than less. Far fewer people smoke today and a helluva lot of that was down to "smoke shaming". Every packet of fags you see now has picture warnings, many of whom are "shaming" users of tobacco. You''l hurt your friends and family when you die, you'll be less fertile, it damages kids etc. Education and extra taxes alone wouldn't have made the difference.

As Greentopia noted in her Swedish example there is a stronger societal pressure to not look like a blimp and it works. Scandinavian countries are some of the lower rates in Europe. Similar can be seen in France, Italy and Spain. I noted from a Ukrainian woman I was seeing that their culture looks down on obesity and again they've lower rates. There's also a link to social class and obesity. Education is a large part of that, but another part is obesity is looked down upon more the further up the social ratings you go.

However we're not near a majority obese. Obesity rates in Europe average out at around a quarter of adults and that includes Ireland(which is around 20% last time I looked). Ireland is one of those countries where there are more fat men than women. Women tend to catch more flak for it though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wibbs wrote: »
    If we are getting fatter as a society then maybe we need more "fat shaming" rather than less. Far fewer people smoke today and a helluva lot of that was down to "smoke shaming". Every packet of fags you see now has picture warnings, many of whom are "shaming" users of tobacco. You''l hurt your friends and family when you die, you'll be less fertile, it damages kids etc. Education and extra taxes alone wouldn't have made the difference.

As Greentopia noted in her Swedish example there is a stronger societal pressure to not look like a blimp and it works. Scandinavian countries are some of the lower rates in Europe. Similar can be seen in France, Italy and Spain. I noted from a Ukrainian woman I was seeing that their culture looks down on obesity and again they've lower rates. There's also a link to social class and obesity. Education is a large part of that, but another part is obesity is looked down upon more the further up the social ratings you go.

However we're not near a majority obese. Obesity rates in Europe average out at around a quarter of adults and that includes Ireland(which is around 20% last time I looked). Ireland is one of those countries where there are more fat men than women. Women tend to catch more flak for it though.

Im not sure "looking down on" is a sufficient reason to try and prevent obesity. And Ireland will never be like those countries that you mention simply because there isn't enough of a spread of those natural good genes to make the majority of the population good looking! I agree with you about smoking and a lot of people, myself included, wouldn't go near them after all the ads and campaigns about your health.

I don't agree with fat shaming shows like You need to see a doctor or Operation Transformation where overweight people are paraded in underwear across stages to be patronised by skinny judges or doctors who silently judge people for eating chicken nuggests. Education is needed but after that its a choice to eat well or not, you cant force people and fat shaming just doesn't work, if it did then every heavy kid who was bullied would have just dropped the weight after a few nasty remarks.

I have several obese friends, a few even morbidly so, but I would never ever comment on anything they eat or do, that's their life and their body. Who am I to judge? Who is anyone really? Its nobodies business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I have several obese friends, a few even morbidly so, but I would never ever comment on anything they eat or do.....

Why not ? It's way worse not to mention the elephant in the room

What is this bollox about good genes and Irish being ugly. All of Europe is inbred, especially peripheral countries like Sweden and Ireland. For every Zara Larsson, there is 10 of
    maxresdefault.jpg

The girl on the left is fairly cute like but hardly anything to write home about. Most Swedes don't fit your stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think a lot of Irish people who are overweight don't think they are overweight because they aren't obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

mojesius wrote: »
    I blame cuisine de france and Italian chippers

Bloody foreigners are to blame

*shakes fist*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

shakeitoff wrote: »
    The girl on the left is fairly cute like but hardly anything to write home about. Most Swedes don't fit your stereotype.

Ahh now, if you visit you'll see. If (simplified) Ireland was 33/33/33 munters/avg enough/stunners SE would be 10/45/45.

Coming back from Scandinavia you really really see how jumbo we are as a nation.

They're probably slim but not that attractive facially. I've holidayed with Swedish girls, great craic, weird obsession with southern European men for some reason, good looking girls but nothing crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

When Biggie Smalls sings 'used to eat sardines for dinner', I think: well what's wrong with that? Sardines are packed with vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids which are very important nutrients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

From eating too much and being bone idol lazy its not rocket science that eating a balanced diet of moderate portions and regular exercise helps you to stay at a healthy weight. Sitting on the sofa all day stuffing your face with sweets and crisps is obviously going to cause weight gain in individuals basic logic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Attractiveness is not based solely on weight. Doesn't anyone care about faces? Faces are far more important to me when it comes to attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Growing up a good number of decades ago - there were always 'stout' mature ladies and men who were anything but skinny. Our perceptions of a 'skinny' society imo is largely driven by popular media and superstars starving themselves to create an anorexic body style fashion. Sugar consumption in the 1970s was a normal part of most peoples diet - The rise of extremely large people has not been caused by sugar imo but the ****e that is now being sold as substitutes to traditional foodstuffs ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Can I just quickly mention too (apologies if it already has been mentioned) that other European countries may be more proactive in dealing with the problem, ie surgery ?

I'm French, and have one family member and two friends over there who have had bariatric surgery, and that's only with a smallish sample of people I still know from there. These ladies would be the same generation as I. They all look amazing now, but they needed that intervention, they had all tried diets and exercise with no success. (one has a medical condition that rules out exercise anyway).

I think I saw an article about this in an Irish news outlet recently enough, a doctor was expressing regret that such surgery is not more widely available/recommended over here.

Wibbs wrote: »

Smoking affects other people much more than fatness. Passive smoking, sudden infant death syndrome, cigarette smoke being an irritant. I’m laidback about smokers but cigarette smoke affects my sinuses. And it just stinks. I can count on less than two hands the amount of times I’ve been affected by someone being fat. In addition, it’s trickier because food is something we need. Smoking is in no way needed.

I abhor the notion of shaming people about their appearance. The Swedish situation described above sounds fucking brutal. There are other ways. Let’s be creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

All the tapeworms are dead = more fat people.

:D:D

Sorry couldn't resist. Especially after just reading the "Crossing fields" thread in farming and forestry. :)

Now ye know why Indian cusine has so much calories. Not exactly all down to tapeworm but you get the idea with all the rest of the little critters.

I abhor the notion of shaming people about their appearance. The Swedish situation described above sounds fucking brutal. There are other ways. Let’s be creative.

Same here.

Over-eating is a coping mechanism in most cases for ... something else. In these days when Ireland is claiming to wake up and tackle mental illness, it is shocking to suggest that shaming people for a coping mechanism is the solution.

I agree that it doesn't effect others in the way that smoking or even alcohol (violence) do.

How about trichotillomania ? (had to look that up, but it's people who pull their hair out)
    Would that solve the problem if we shamed these people into stopping ?

edit : I have to say though Wibbs, I get what you're saying, it's less acceptable and the shaming is so overwhelming there that it works to an extent, but my point is, at what cost to these people's mental health, and paradoxically, with a constant state of stress, also come some other ailments.
    I have two aunts and a cousin who are practically anorexic, they are (very openly I have to say) under-eating consistently. They are often sick, and quite honestly now, they just seem in a constant state of unhappiness, tiredness, and always under pressure.
    My little niece is 11. She under-feeds herself already for fear of putting on weight. I'm just back from there, and was shocked to see she wore a dress I passed on that was a normal size for my 4 year old daughter back in the days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

So much fat on dating apps. 80% of the matches I get are fat ones.

I'm clearly in shape on my profile. Do these fat ones really think I'm going to want to match with them?

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    So much fat on dating apps. 80% of the matches I get are fat ones.

I'm clearly in shape on my profile. Do these fat ones really think I'm going to want to match with them?

Why are you on a dating app when you're so dashing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

To answer the OP, laziness and gluttony.

Simple as that.

People eat too much and don't move enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

PARlance wrote: »
    Sweden locks up all the fat ones.

They shag the calories out of each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

In my case it was Just poor lifestyle.

I weighed in at 28 stone 1 at my heaviest about 18 months ago.

I lost 8 stone in 9 months. Still a fattie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Why are you on a dating app when you're so dashing ?

Pish, who isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robertjames

Dont know what to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A combination of things.

It starts in childhood.

Our schools would rather waste time on religion indoctrination lessons and a dead useless language than proper physical education and home economics classes. Our children are driven to, and collected from school, instead of walking and cycling.

Overworked parents are too tired to cook proper dinners for their children, relying on takeaways and processed junk

On the otherhand, the permanent social welfare class are too lazy, uneducated, drunk/high to give a **** about their kids and send them to the chipper daily.

Fast food junk outlets everywhere.

A growing culture of big is beautiful delusions.

Ah for a second I thought it was our fault, glad we can pass the buck. Obviously in Sweden they don't have tired parents, junk food or school runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I was overweight and lost 20 kilos leaving me bang on target BMI.
    Then noticed I had to endure continuous comments, almost exclusively from women, that I was underweight. I felt continually shamed being asked was there something wrong and why my lunch was not bigger.
    I have decided this is mostly from a warped view that overweight was normal and obese is overweight. As such I explained I was the correct weight and many people think overweight is normal. Funny enough the comments reduced because when they shamed me for being Not Overweight I would let them know indirectly they were fat. The view of correct weight is way toward obese in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In my case it was Just poor lifestyle.

I weighed in at 28 stone 1 at my heaviest about 18 months ago.

I lost 8 stone in 9 months. Still a fattie
    8 stone in 9 months! :eek::eek: That's incredible. That must have taken some hard work. Fair bloody play!

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement