Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using short shifters?

• 23-07-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Are petrols are a pain in urban areas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car are you talking of? I thought of fitting one to my e46 for the laugh. Never bothered in the end, but my reasoning was nothing to do with comfort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Have fitted them to 3 cars... they are a great upgrade for little money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

What car are you talking of? I thought of fitting one to my e46 for the laugh. Never bothered in the end, but my reasoning was nothing to do with comfort...
    A VW still in warranty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is the connection between petrol cars in urban areas and a short shifter gearstick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s a peril card?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s a peril card?

Must be some street racing therm those kids today use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Must be some street racing therm those kids today use.

I had to google short shifter.
    I must be getting old..

Autocorrect messing, updated post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

euser1984 wrote: »
    Are petrols are a pain in urban areas?

Thanks.

A short shifter just shortens the throw of the gear stick on a manual it doesn't actually make the car change gear ealrier which is i think what you may be getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

tossy wrote: »
    A short shifter just shortens the throw of the gear stick on a manual it doesn't actually the car change gear ealrier which is i think what you may be getting at.

I interpreted it as him inquiring about short shifters believing they made lighter work of shifting gears in traffic.

i.e shorter throw = less strenuous gear changes ... or some other form of flawed logic along those lines

• Advertisement

sorry guys - was referring to the hastle of not having to move the gear stick around so much.

i only know about them cos a fella showed me one b4 - i'm really happy he did too

sorry guys - was referring to the hastle of not having to move the gear stick around so much.

i only know about them cos a fella showed me one b4 - i'm really happy he did too

As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with frequency of gear changes or "hassle of moving the gearstick around so much"

A short shifter modifies the pivot point with the intention of giving a shorter and therefore notchier/sportier feel to the gear changes.

Nothing to do with improving the convenience of driving a petrol car in urban areas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If you have an accident your insurance won't cover you because you'll have modified the car.

You need to inform your insurer that the car is modified. And if you do they will load a fairly big premium on it for that and that is if they even quote you at all. Their logic would be that someone who puts a short shifter in would be a boy racer type and therefore a much higher risk than Mary doing the school run.

If you have an accident your insurance won't cover you because you'll have modified the car.

You need to inform your insurer that the car is modified. And if you do they will load a fairly big premium on it for that and that is if they even quote you at all. Their logic would be that someone who puts a short shifter in would be a boy racer type and therefore a much higher risk than Mary doing the school run.

That's absurd.

what if I put a sticker on my car or hang an air freshener from my rear view mirror, would my insurance go up too because they will think i'm a "boy racer" type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

ION08 wrote: »
    As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with frequency of gear changes or "hassle of moving the gearstick around so much"

A short shifter modifies the pivot point with the intention of giving a shorter and therefore notchier/sportier feel to the gear changes.

Nothing to do with improving the convenience of driving a petrol car in urban areas..

Everyday's a school day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's absurd.

what if I put a sticker on my car or hang an air freshener from my rear view mirror, would my insurance go up too because they will think i'm a "boy racer" type?

Does an air freshener or a sticker mechanically alter a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That's absurd.

No because it would need to be a material change to the car.
    ie, something that could have the potential to alter the handling, performance or control of the car in any way.

a short shifter could affect the controlling of the car because it is a modification to one of the main means of control of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Does an air freshener or a sticker mechanically alter a car?

Does a software remap? ;)

ie, something that could have the potential to alter the handling, performance or control of the car in any way.

a short shifter could affect the controlling of the car because it is a modification to one of the main means of control of the car.

I'd love to meet the assesor who could spot a short shifter :D

• Advertisement

Yeah , I suppose shortening the throw of a gearstick is exactly the type of bullshlt insurance companies would mercilessly load you for ... but putting sh*te Chinese tyres on your car which can severely impact handling and braking they wouldnt care about ... insurance companies, gotta love them. :rolleyes:

I'd love to meet the assesor who could spot a short shifter :D

About 2 seconds after sitting in the car is about all it would take.

About 2 seconds after sitting in the car is about all it would take.

How many assesors sit into a car (if you still can after it's been damaged) and change gears on a stationary car as part of the assesment. Even so they would have to know how it was before to relaise it's a shorter throw.

How many assesors sit into a car (if you still can after it's been damaged) and change gears on a stationary car as part of the assesment.

I have no idea but if they did it would be obvious.

I have no idea but if they did it would be obvious.

I don't think so. how would it be obvious?

Really?? you dont think the shortened throw on the gear stick would be obvious?

I reckon if you were unlucky and the assesor had the same car they might realise - otherwise no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why go to the bother of modifying a car to a short shifter for urban traffic when manufacturers make suitable cars already, get rid of the clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have no idea what this fella showed you but a short shifter doesn’t lessen the amount of gear changes, it only shortens the distance between gears by typically 15-20%. Year I still have to move the gearstick the same number of times you ever did.

I think you actually need an automatic if your concerned with the amount of gear changes you have to make while in slow moving urban traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

the pivot point could be moved up (leaving the gearstick visually the same)?

The length of the gear stick is also probably there to reduce the human force needed to shift it. Also, the longer the moment probably means it's easier to distinguish between gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Not always actually. I remember speaking with another boards member before who declared coilovers and alloys and possibly more but I cannot recall what. He said the difference in the policy was small enough too.
    I also cannot remember the figures here but when he said the policy price and with and without modifications it did sound very reasonable.

Well no I wouldn’t think so either. Do you think every assesor has encyclopaedic knowledge of what a standard gear throw should feel like for every model of car versus what a 10% shortended throw would feel like??

Insurance accident assesor:

AHA!!!! This gearknob for a car I have never driven before feels like it has been shortened by 10%!! This is undeniably the root cause of the accident as such we will not pay out

Dardania wrote: »
    the pivot point could be moved up (leaving the gearstick visually the same)?

The length of the gear stick is also probably there to reduce the human force needed to shift it. Also, the longer the moment probably means it's easier to distinguish between gears.

It's nothing to do with the pivot point of the gear stick or altering the gear stick in anyway- a short shifter is fitted inside the engine bay on top of the gearbox on the selector.

Well no I wouldn’t think so either. Do you think every assesor has encyclopaedic knowledge of what a standard gear throw should feel like for every model of car versus what a 10% shortended throw would feel like??

AHA!!!! This gearknob for a car I have never driven before feels like it has been shortened by 10%!! This is undeniably the root cause of the accident as such we will not pay out

There is more to a short shifter than cutting down the gearstick. You do know that, right?

Jaysys

jaysus, everytime a person drives another car they have to get used to the gears - will ya stop

• Advertisement

There is more to a short shifter than cutting down the gearstick. You do know that, right?

Yes I do know that. By “shortened” I am referring to the shortened throw not the size of the gear stick.

I wonder if it similar to "slick shifter"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would you not be short shifting as a driving technique rather than utilizing a short shift to decrease the gearstick throw, many drivers short shift in diesel cars and more "torquey" cars because it makes for a smoother drive.

Advertisement