Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Tour 2018 stage 16:Carcassonne - Bagnères-de-Luchon 218km

Options
  • 23-07-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

After the second rest day, we have stage 16 -
    stage-16-profile.jpg?22

The first half of the route is played out on flat to rolling roads. The climbers stretch the legs on the Côte de Fanjeaux (2.4 kilometres at 4.9%) and Côte de Pamiers (2.3 kilometres at 5.8%), although attackers undoubtedly will want to do more than just stretch the legs – they want to go clear on the Fanjeaux. The hill is crested at kilometre 25, so it is a perfect place to break away.

The route continues in undulating fashion and after 124 kilometres the riders enter a long false flat, which is getting steeper along the way until Col de Portet d’Aspet is crested at kilometre 155.5. The actual climb is 5.4 kilometres at 7.1% with its steepest section approximately 1 kilometre before the top.

On descent the riders pass the monument in honour of Fabio Casartelli, who died in a crash on the descent of the Portet d’Aspet in the 1995 Tour de France. Back in the valley the road immediately goes back up again, this time to head for the summit of the Col de Menté. This is a 6.9 kilometres climb at 8.1% with, early on, some intimidating double digit stretches.

A descent with a lot of hairpins, especially in the first part, takes the riders to the valley of the Garonne. Momentarily the Tour de France dips its toe into Spain and on rolling roads the route continues to the base of the Col du Portillon. The fairly regular closing climb is 8.3 kilometres at 7.1%.

The summit of the Portillon lies 10 kilometres before the finish. Fast descenders can take advantage as it’s almost all downhill after the top. Three hairpins in short succession with 5 kilometres out could be tricky – and on it goes on flying descent. The last kilometre is played out on the flat. The winner follows in the footsteps of Thomas Voeckler (2012), Michael Rogers (2014), and Chris Froome (2016).

That last victory was startling. People always thought of Froome as a poor descender, but when all GC-favourites reached the crest of the then last climb Peyresourde together, he dropped down like a rock and won the race 13 seconds ahead of his opponents.

stage-16-portet-d-aspet-mente.jpg

stage-16-col-du-portillon.jpg

Final 5 km -
    stage-16-5km.jpg?03

Weather forecast - hot, 30 C.

The Bookies Take! The Stage!

Yates 7/1
    Julian Alaphilippe 10
    Rafa Majka 11
    Warren Barguil 12
    Primoz Roglic 14
    Chris Froome 18
    Romain Bardet 18
    Mikel Nieve 18
    Geraint Thomas 20
    Alejandro Valverde 22
    Ion Izagirre 22
    Daniel Martin 28
    Tom Dumoulin 25
    Bauke Mollema 33
    Omar Fraile 28
    Domenico Pozzovivo 33
    Thomas de Gendt 33
    Damiano Caruso 33
    Lilian Calmejane 33
    Serge Pauwels
    Sren Kragh Andersen
    Michael Valgren 40
    Tanel Kangert 50
    Mikel Landa 40
    Nairo Quintana 40
    Pierre Rolland 33
    Steven Kruijswijk 40
    Marc Soler 50
    Gorka Izagirre 66
    Jacob Fuglsang 66
    Pierre Latour 50
    David Gaudu 50
    Daniel Navarro 80
    Daniel Martinez 80
    Magnus Cort Nielsen 66
    Bob Jungels 80
    Simon Geschke 80
    Ilnur Zakarin 80
    Yves Lampaert
    Gregor Muhlberger 125
    Tomasz Marczynski 125
    Robert Gesink 100
    Guillaume Martin 125
    Jesus Herrada 100
    Silvan Dillier
    Tejay van Garderen 125
    Rudy Molard 125
    Toms Skujins 150
    Pawel Poljanski 125
    Andrey Amador 125
    Mathias Frank 125
    Soren Kragh Andersen 150
    Darwin Atapuma 150
    Greg Van Avermaet 150
    Peter Sagan 150
    Franco Pellizotti 150
    Marcus Burghardt
    Antwan Tolhoek 200
    Edvald Boasson Hagen 200
    Daryl Impey 150
    Arthur Vichot 200
    Jasper Stuyven 200
    Philippe Gilbert 200
    Simon Clarke 200
    Adam Hansen 200

The Bookies Take! The Race!

Geraint Thomas 10/11
    Chris Froome 11/8
    Tom Dumoulin 9/2
    Primoz Roglic 18
    Romain Bardet 66
    Nairo Quintana 80
    Mikel Landa 80
    Steven Kruijswijk 125
    Daniel Martin 250
    Jakob Fuglsang 250
    Alejandro Valverde 500
    Iinur Zakarin 600
    Bob Jungels 750
    Egan Bernal 1000
    Mikel Nieve 1000
    Pierre-Roger Latour 1000
    Adam Yates 1500
    Rafal Majka 1500
    Warren Barguil 1500
    Greg Van Avermaet 1500

The Bookies Take! The KOM!

Julian Alaphilippe 11/10
    Warren Barguil 6/4
    Rafal Majka 12
    Serge Pauwels 18
    Mikel Landa 28
    Chris Froome 22
    Nairo Quintana 28
    Mikel Nieve 40
    Daniel Martin 40
    Pierre Rolland 33
    Romain Bardet 66
    David Gaudu 66
    Steven Kruijswijk 70
    Thomas De Gendt 80
    Adam Yates 90
    Primoz Roglic 90
    Jakob Fuglsang 100
    Tom Dumoulin 150
    Lilian Calmejane 150
    Domenico Pozzovivo 150
    Ilnur Zakarin 150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just 4 key stages of the Tour left, 2 Big Mountain stages finishing after a descent from the final climb, either side of the super explosive 65km summit finish, and then the penultimate Saturday ITT Stage. Other than that there is Thursdays sprint stage into Pau!

Also in case anyone missed it Sagan has won the Green Jersey as of a couple of days ago, unless he falls off or gets time cut! Some say it might need some Sagan proofing if it is ever to be a competition again, who can forget his amazing 4th place on Saturdays stage to Mende, finishing up this!

and after all of this!
    976c1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Inquitus wrote: »

Also in case anyone missed it Sagan has won the Green Jersey as of a couple of days ago, unless he falls off or gets time cut! Some say it might need some Sagan proofing if it is ever to be a competition again,
    The green jersey is closer to a combination type competition now with Sagan's dominance.

I'd drop the mountains classification as the winner/podium of the GC is almost certainly the best climber and that's not usually reflected in who wears the polka dot jersey.

Maybe the ASO could consider a pure sprinters jersey for what they designate a sprinter's finish and have a combination jersey for those who get up in a finish and get into the breakaways, a la Sagan.

Obviously keep the young GC classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Do sky let Bernal go in the break tomorrow for him to try make up the ~90s he needs to get in the top 20 to have an extra man in the first group for Wednesday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

NIcolas Roche on Eurosport UK for the next 4 stages

He climbed the final climb tomorrow pretty well in 2014 so should have good insight

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1021491115193712642

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Do sky let Bernal go in the break tomorrow for him to try make up the ~90s he needs to get in the top 20 to have an extra man in the first group for Wednesday ?

They don't really need to put him in the break. If they set a really fast pace up the last climb, they could drop some of those in the top 19 and then just make sure bernal finishes with the lead group by not having him do much work at the front.

Hopefully it doesn't work out like that and it might be harder with moscon gone.

What is the gap between the groups leaving on S17.

I've yet to hear anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am surprised Thomas is the bookies favourite. Surely Froome is still the main man. If not is it an open race between the two? I can't see Sky wanting the 2 of them chasing each other down on a steep descent, and possibly taking either/or both out of the race. I would expect Froome to make a break for it at some stage. On some of the hills over recent days Thomas has still looked like a support to Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I am surprised Thomas is the bookies favourite. Surely Froome is still the main man. If not is it an open race between the two? I can't see Sky wanting the 2 of them chasing each other down on a steep descent, and possibly taking either/or both out of the race. I would expect Froome to make a break for it at some stage. On some of the hills over recent days Thomas has still looked like a support to Froome.

That suggests Sky can just pick who wins the race. Dumoulin is only 11 seconds off Froome and is the World TT champion. What DS is going to suggest to Thomas that he lose time with him lurking. That's not to say that they won't let Froome attack and make Dumoulin chase. It's anyone's guess to whose advantage that would be - I suspect it may benefit Thomas more but an attack could stick and that would obviously change things.

I'd love to see Roglic at least get a podium spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

That suggests Sky can just pick who wins the race. Dumoulin is only 11 seconds off Froome and is the World TT champion. What DS is going to suggest to Thomas that he lose time with him lurking. That's not to say that they won't let Froome attack and make Dumoulin chase. It's anyone's guess to whose advantage that would be - I suspect it may benefit Thomas more but an attack could stick and that would obviously change things.

Froome will be able to take the time back on Thomas with both keeping the gap to Tom D. I can't see Thomas winning overall and it's not a case of will Froome attack, I think it's just a case of when and today looks suitable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

i think tomorrow is going to very interesting and will be be the stage where Thomas wins or looses the race. With the amount of climbing tomorrow over a short distance Dumoulin could be gone. Think today will be one of those days where a quintana/landa rider will blow up and go out the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Race stopped... some incident with local farmers.. Eurosport were on a break

wtf is going on

Riders sprayed with pepper spray they think

pepper spray incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

This is weird...

wheres Bernard Hinault????? he,ll sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did they go after sky, or everyone? At work, no eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

"It's a French Cultural Thing"....

retalivity wrote: »
    Did they go after sky, or everyone? At work, no eurosport

Everyone. Some farmers protest, not aimed at any team/rider in particular

so the police sprayed tear gas or something on farmers

• Advertisement

Farmers protesting trying to put bales in the road and the police let loose the tear gas / pepper spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

The police also sprayed themselves apparently...

when french farmers protest they really dont hold back and have nice peaceful protests

Raining now, I guess we'll be hearing all about rooster tails soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Raining now, I guess we'll be hearing all about rooster tails soon :rolleyes:

Almost immediately ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Snip

Mod: No requests for streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Got one, missed all the tear gas fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there are pictures here of some of the protest. some fine self defense from the Gendarme pepper spraying the protester sitting in the road.

Has froome done any pulling on the front of the sky choo choo today?? Or just sucking wheels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

neris wrote: »
    Has froome done any pulling on the front of the sky choo choo today?? Or just sucking wheels?

It's not in his job description.
    That's the domestiques' job

Advertisement