Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs - how to accommodate U-18's on group spins

Options
  • 23-07-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Call out to fellow club cyclists - what is the approach taken with U18 cyclists and group spins - do you try to accommodate as part of normal group spins? Or do you set up youth specific groups

Trying to get a handle on what is the norm - U'18's need to be accommodated obviously but needs to be done properly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Andalucia wrote: »
    Call out to fellow club cyclists - what is the approach taken with U18 cyclists and group spins - do you try to accommodate as part of normal group spins? Or do you set up youth specific groups

Trying to get a handle on what is the norm - U'18's need to be accommodated obviously but needs to be done properly

The key part of this is ensuring someone(s) on the ride has the appropriate Garda vetting to work with U18's.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/about/safeguarding/vetting-policy

In our Club we have had dedicated youth spins, but plenty of the youths are well capable enough to join the varying degrees of adult spins right up to the most difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just make sure that mind of one person is Garda vetted for every group that an u18 may take part in. We generally have 2/3. Group leaders need to make sure that they aren't being accommodated in groups that are too hard/soft for them. In our club the juniors are really looked after with essentially their own group for the winter with a good core of senior riders who go with them to keep things in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Probably a bit off topic but as someone involved with Garda Vetting and Child protection in a statutory organisation that policy is out of date. Their has been fairly significant changes to the legislation in the last 2/3 years and the wording now specifies people with'access' to young people. By my understanding that would mean that anyone who regularly attends a training spin/group spin with under 18's really should be vetted. I'm not sure how this would work in reality, and could make it difficult enough for clubs but is based on the best interests of the young person

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

If thats the case, many sports clubs will avoid having juniors at all, or if they do they must be segregated from the main club. It is not realistic to ask club members to get Garda vetted on the basis that they might be on the same spin as juniors.

This may be fine in GAA, soccer, rugby, etc where there is enough interest for under-age teams. But for minority sports like cycling, ultimately the juniors lose out because the low numbers mean that it simply is not viable for the club to have a junior section. Also, the juniors themselves will lose interest because of the low numbers and lack of challenge. Consider a good u-16 rider who is more than capable of keeping up with a club spin. Unfortunately, they would have to remain with all the juniors (from 12-18) on a dedicated 'junior' spin - no challenge, no interest, and they give up.

joey100 wrote: »
    Probably a bit off topic but as someone involved with Garda Vetting and Child protection in a statutory organisation that policy is out of date. Their has been fairly significant changes to the legislation in the last 2/3 years and the wording now specifies people with'access' to young people. By my understanding that would mean that anyone who regularly attends a training spin/group spin with under 18's really should be vetted. I'm not sure how this would work in reality, and could make it difficult enough for clubs but is based on the best interests of the young person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm not saying I agree with it one way or the other but that's what the legislation is. There is a type of clause for one off's, so if someone will only be there once then they don't have to be vetted but if someone is going to have regular access to under 18's they need to be vetted.

The other option is to simply vet people in the club who will be on the spin. It's not that hard and doesn't take that long. Have a few people who will alternate with the juniors, doesn't have to be the same people every week.

I don't know how cycling Ireland manage this, the area I work in is a lot more clear cut but the legislation is very specific and was changed to get around the loop hole of people saying they don't work with young people but who had regular access to young people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

joey100 wrote: »
    the wording now specifies people with'access' to young people.
    woohoo! i won't have to babysit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We have lots of juniors, I've never met any of them. Youth / Adult are very much siloed. That works in a big club but smaller ones the legislation is very prohibitive.

Advertisement