Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I need this bad scrape fixed, Diy.

• 23-07-2018 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

As you can see it's pretty bad. Would a bodywork filler be fine to use on it, then colour coded, then clear coat? Or would just spraying be enough to fill it?

It's about half a millimetre deep?

I might be able to buff out the scratch above it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car is it?

I ask but these DIY's are never easy, and can be very noticeable when complete. If the car is very cheap and you're happy enough with a not-so-perfect finish then that's grand. But if not then you might want to speak to a pro.

I'd say you would need filler in it, then sanded back, followed by primer + paint with all the sanding and work that goes with that. Blending the paint into the panel will be very difficult too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What car is it?

I ask but these DIY's are never easy, and can be very noticeable when complete. If the car is very cheap and you're happy enough with a not-so-perfect finish then that's grand. But if not then you might want to speak to a pro.

I'd say you would need filler in it, then sanded back, followed by primer + paint with all the sanding and work that goes with that. Blending the paint into the panel will be very difficult too.

Car is cheap, but far from a junker, it's actually spotless everywhere else. It's a well kept car(2007 bmw 530d)

I'm afraid I may botch it up, but on a budget with it and time is against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

You have 2 options, as I see it. ( 1 ) restored to pre-damage condition. This needs a professional. ( 2 ) Its hard to tell from the pics just how low down it is. If its not too far from the bottom of the car, on the curve, then you may get away with a light sanding on the upper mark, followed by some compounding, The part where the primer is showing through will need to be touched up, and see how that looks after a few days when it has dried in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

jmreire wrote: »
    You have 2 options, as I see it. ( 1 ) restored to pre-damage condition. This needs a professional. ( 2 ) Its hard to tell from the pics just how low down it is. If its not too far from the bottom of the car, on the curve, then you may get away with a light sanding on the upper mark, followed by some compounding, The part where the primer is showing through will need to be touched up, and see how that looks after a few days when it has dried in.

Depth is half a millimetre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

You mean the upper mark? A pic taken from further away would help ( better idea of the damage location on the vehicle ) Any kind of deep scratch will not polish out.... but a polishing may help take the bad look off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    time is against me.

One word of advise, is don't rush it, if it's your first time and you rush your bound to make it worse. If your in a hurry, why not try source a bumper and just replace it?

Advertisement