Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure where to bring a guest in town (Dublin)

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    My French friend has been au pairing in Wicklow for the last few weeks and we haven’t got the opportunity to meet up yet. We were thinking of meeting up in town, however I’m not sure where to show her as she has already been to most of the main areas herself (Grafton St, O Connell St, Trinity, St Stephens Green, Temple Bar). As I’ve never done this before, I was wondering where other Irish people’s favourite places to bring tourist/ friends from abroad are? Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Chester Beatty library is lovely and has a good café too.
    http://www.cbl.ie/
    Trip to Howth for a wander and some fish and chips?
    What about Kilmainham?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are you talking coffee/lunch/pints/dinner/clubbing/sightseeing?

Time of day? Have you transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Take trip on one of the Dublin hop on - hop off sight seeing buses and go see all the main attractions, Kilmainham, Collins Barracks, The Phoenix park etc etc.
    We did it with friends who had never been to Dublin before and we all had a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 angelinab

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are you talking coffee/lunch/pints/dinner/clubbing/sightseeing?

Time of day? Have you transport?

Probably afternoon/ evening time
    and unfortunately not, I'm still a learner driver

Dart out to Howth was going to be a suggestion of mine as well. I had thought Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey/Killiney but if she lives in Wicklow she may already be familiar with those.

The War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge are gorgeous, there's a mile-long walk along the Liffey if that's your thing, and a couple of lovely cafes in the area for after. Or the Tea Rooms or Visitor Centre in the Phoenix Park.

I also did the hop-on-hop-off bus tour years ago with a visiting cousin, and we loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

National Gallery is lovely, free, and there's a nice cafe, ramble around Merrion Square.

Etc wrote: »
    National Gallery is lovely, free, and there's a nice cafe, ramble around Merrion Square.
    And the Natural History Museum (aka the dead zoo) is nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Dart, plenty to choose from, coastal villages, city stops.

City centre, trinity down to dame Street and on to Christchurch when they're ringing or practicing ringing the bells.
    Stop off at Dublin castle and city hall along the way.
    City hall rotunda is a wonder!

Merion square and national gallery is another area of interest to be recommended.

Temple bar, meeting house square with the Market on at the weekend and the gallery of photography and the national photographic archive as well.

Advertisement