Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you take an organ if a healthy person had to die?

• 23-07-2018 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

So... just reading about organ harvesting and Falun Gong prisoners

Basically, head on over to the 'great bunch of lads', someone dies, you or someone in your family stays alive.
    Fly home, carry on.

would you do it if it was you or your someone from your family's last hope of survival?

Would you take an organ if a healthy person had to die? 47 votes

Yes
    2% 1 vote
    No
    36% 17 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    61% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not sure an Atari Jaguar would work to keep you alive.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, under any circumstances would I want to live if it directly led to the death of somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

So... just reading about organ harvesting and Falun Gong prisoners.

Basically, head on over to the great bunch of lads, someone dies, you or someone in your Family stays alive. Fly home, carry on.

would you do it if it was your last hope of survival?

Gives a whole new meaning to a Chinese takeaway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No, under any circumstances would I want to live if it directly led to the death of somebody else.

What if that person was Putin?

:P

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What if that person was Putin?

:P

Still no, if my living caused any body to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Most people would if there was something wrong with them and in need of a transplant.

Look at the black market organ crap going on right now. But I guess out of sight out of mind huh. Who cares if someone died as long as you don't hear about it when you get his kidney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I always wonder do the Chinese realise they are a great bunch of lads? :D The fact that the phrase is now synonymous with the country pleases me.

No I wouldn't take the organ. I would accept death gracefully and not take it like a b!tch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They don't take organs from unhealthy dead people, only healthy dead ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I'm going to need a double lung transplant in the future. I could never take the organs of someone who was killed for the purposes of organ harvesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'd cut the beating heart out of anyone here. No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I was going to say that living with the guilt would make it a life not worth living anyway so good luck to anyone that would say yes. Problem is anyone willing to do it in the first place is an absolute abhorrent **** anyway so maybe they could actually just get on with it. People can be extremely ugly.

I was going to say that living with the guilt would make it a life not worth living anyway so good luck to anyone that would say yes. Problem is anyone willing to do it in the first place is an absolute abhorrent **** anyway so maybe they could actually just get on with it. People can be extremely ugly.
    Post reported for personal abuse.

Post reported for personal abuse.

I think any normal person would say I just called a spade, a spade.

I think any normal person would say I just called a spade, a spade.
    I didnt really report your post. This was bants.

I didnt really report your post. This was bants.

I know :pac:

It is interesting though. We can discern the correct thing pretty easily here in this hypothetical. Lets say someone is buying a fancy car, they are offered the chance to buy a car which doesn't look as good but does exactly the same thing. The money saved is used to save two lives in poverty. How many people do it? Human lives aren't really that important to most of what we do currently in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If it was a butt transplant I'd be ok with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes we do. Some things are beyond even thinking. They really are.

Got me thinking. How many here would give their life to donate an organ?

Graces7 wrote: »

Nobody would. Why would they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Graces7 wrote: »

Only to save the life of someone I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

This thread reminds me of an Ali G sketch from years ago where he asked a bunch of vegans whether or not they’d eat chicken if he said he’d kill another chicken if they didn’t eat the first chicken.
    In answer to the thread. No I wouldn’t take an organ from a healthy person if it meant they’d die...with the exception of a few a$$holes this world could do without...but then I’m not sure I’d want a gobsh1te’s organ in my body either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

jamesbere wrote: »
    If it was a butt transplant I'd be ok with it

If Rihanna goes missing and I start looking hot, then assume the worst!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Only to save the life of someone I love.

I sort of offered - I was tested to see if my liver was viable as a match for a relative. It wasn't but I would have gone ahead with it (they only want a lobe and it grows back).

Having said that, my best friend of 20 years shares my blood type. If I had an organ that he needed to survive they I would find it a hard decision, but I'd want to offer to save him. He wouldn't take it though.

I sort of offered - I was tested to see if my liver was viable as a match for a relative. It wasn't but I would have gone ahead with it (they only want a lobe and it grows back).

Having said that, my best friend of 20 years shares my blood type. If I had an organ that he needed to survive they I would find it a hard decision, but I'd want to offer to save him. He wouldn't take it though.

Someone close to me gave one of her kidneys to save a child( no relation)and skin cells for another.

I suppose in a way blood transfusion?

Advertisement