Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning fat

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

How do u find cycling for burning fat ...I have started cycling again over the last few weeks but dont seem to be dropping weight ...im doing 4 k about three times a week
    should be 40k 😂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

12k a week?? Eh you need to do more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Running gives you more bang for buck when it comes to wait loss. Unless you're really hammering it out for an hour on a bike, a 20min jog will probably lead to more weight loss.

4k is really nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The thing about cycling is that you tend to have to cover large distances to burn the calories. Unless you're doing some serious climbing for those 4k then you won't burn very much at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

High cadence, get the heart really working. Try and build up to 5 days a week. Big thing if you want to start dropping weight is to adjust your diet (which is the most difficult thing to do in my opinion). Once your up to 5 days a week, start taking longer routes, and so on. You'll get there but, again, the key to losing weight is to eat well and to eat less. Plenty of opinions on what to eat, high this and low that but the simple rules are the best, eat less than you think you need to keep you going, if that doesn't have an effect in a few weeks, eat less.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

hey that should have been 40k three times a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

hey that should have been 40k three times a week

That seems like good going, fair play. If it's only been a couple of weeks then I'd just keep moving. Obviously controlling your diet is extremely important too. Keeping a log of what you eat is key, I used an app called myfitnesspal for this and it was very handy (you can log your cycling here too.).

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

keep track of your waist measurement as well, if either is happening then you are achieving. cycling wont cover bad eating, if youre eating lots of cereals, processed food or snack during the day then it might only prevent you from gaining more weight.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

You may not lose weight for the first while, as excess fat will be changing to muscle, and the weight should even itself out.
    In the longer term, higher intensity, plus the above adage, "Excercise more, eat less" is the way forward

Your spins, for a beginner, are very impressive, add in some hills, or longer spins as you progress

Nothing wrong with 40km 3 times a week so you must have some fitness in you OP.

What is your goal ? As others said diet is very important but you are not "going on a diet" it has to be a balanced, realistic and permanent change there to work for you. I know our local GP practice offers a free consultation with a dietician for those looking for help with weight loss and diet but not sure if thats a thing with many GP's ???

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

You might find the weight shifts about from fat to muscle and the scales don’t give you any encouragement initially. Just enjoy it and keep getting out 3 times a week which is a great achievement alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Any chance you're doing this when you get home?

"I DESERVE this cheeseburger and ice-cream"

accensi0n wrote: »
    Any chance you're doing this when you get home?

"I DESERVE this cheeseburger and ice-cream"

yes did it tonight actually ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

yes did it tonight actually ...

Do you want to loose weight? If the answer is "meh kind of" or "not really" or just "No". You won't.

Until you can answer this with "yes i'm determined to lose weight". Then it's just a matter of burning more calories per day than you take in per day. If you eat a lot, you have to cycle a lot!

Im not badly overweight just out off shape amd getting belly fat...
    yes i think my diet needs addressing its awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Changing the following will help you lose weight:
    • What you eat - plenty of nutritional value in what you're eating
    • When you eat - I avoid eating late in the day as those calories are not going to be burned off through the night
    • Why you eat - eating for fuel or out of boredom
    • How you eat - digestion starts at the mouth, make sure you chew properly

Start tracking your food consumption in myfitnesspal.com, the good and bad days, so that you can see what your current food/drink consumption is like. I lost a good chunk of weight when I started cycling but when I changed my attitude towards food with the above list is when I really saw the greatest results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I know that it's not an exact science but:
    40k x 3 times a week will burn at best 3,000 calories which equates to less than 0.5kg of fat loss. But if you continue to consume more calories than you expend then you will put on weight! As others have suggested the key is to combine exercise and diet. For me that meant cutting back (out) on sugar/starch but everybody finds what works best for them!

Im not badly overweight just out off shape amd getting belly fat...
    yes i think my diet needs addressing its awful

belly fat in particular is associated with excessive insulin and sugar, its worth reading up on. The basic advice will be to cut out sugar and fast sugar release carbs

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

silverharp wrote: »
    belly fat in particular is associated with excessive insulin and sugar, its worth reading up on. The basic advice will be to cut out sugar and fast sugar release carbs

Men put more fat on their torso, but it is in proportion to the fat all around their bodies.

You cannot lose fat in a specific area, likewise you cannot put fat on a specific area. People always say things like.. I am not really fat, just have a bit of a belly etc.. in reality they just see the belly and not the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

C3PO wrote: »
    I know that it's not an exact science but:
    40k x 3 times a week will burn at best 3,000 calories which equates to less than 0.5kg of fat loss. But if you continue to consume more calories than you expend then you will put on weight! As others have suggested the key is to combine exercise and diet. For me that meant cutting back (out) on sugar/starch but everybody finds what works best for them!

Some people do 40km x 3 times per day eh? ;)

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Some people do 40km x 3 times per day eh? ;)

.... and still manage to put on weight!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Men put more fat on their torso, but it is in proportion to the fat all around their bodies.

You cannot lose fat in a specific area, likewise you cannot put fat on a specific area. People always say things like.. I am not really fat, just have a bit of a belly etc.. in reality they just see the belly and not the rest.

from an insulin perspective you could have 2 people same height and weight, if one had a belly issue then more likely they have an insulin resistance problem so you would want to tweak the "eat less more move" advice as it wouldnt deal with the underline issue.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/316750-abdominal-fat-insulin-resistance/
    The AAFP also notes there is a strong relationship between abdominal obesity and the degree of insulin resistance, regardless of how much you weigh overall. To estimate your level of abdominal obesity, you can use the waist-hip ratio by measuring your waist at its narrowest point, usually just above the belly button, and your hips at their fullest point around the buttocks. Then, you divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement. A waist-hip ratio of greater than 1.0 in men or 0.8 in women is strongly linked to abdominal obesity and insulin resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

A banana and 2 pints of water as soon as you get off the bike might help with any after cycle munchies.

yes your right ..i do shift work and i find on nights i go for a lot of sugary stuff will have to cut it out ..that and bread ...

yes your right ..i do shift work and i find on nights i go for a lot of sugary stuff will have to cut it out ..that and bread ...

Sugar and starch are basically the same thing - I found cutting out sweets, biscuits and bread the most effective way of losing weight! Also beware of "reduced fat" alternatives ... they are often much higher in sugar than the full fat version!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exercise to get fit
    (not)Eat to lose weight

Trying to exercise away the weight is a futile effort. Change your diet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It will be the most difficult thing to do (for me). Cutting out sugar and the like is one of the hardest things to do. The last time I tried to drastically cut down on the bad food, it was like looking at a character from trainspotting through detox, the only difference being I was weighty rather than a stick. I had withdrawal symptoms, mood swings, cravings, twitching.

Lost weight really quick (still eating healthy food, not starving) but man, every time I went near anyone with a Pastry or a Chicken Fillet Roll, I could find myself thinking about taking it off them and running away.

yes completely ..you can go for run or cycle and burn 700 calories ..come home and eat a few biscuits and its back on ..that really came home to me when i brought the dog to vet ..she was 3 kgs over weight time at the time ..i told the vet i would bring her on longer walks the vet said no that wont work just cut back on her food ...probably the same with us really

White bread seems to be a killer though for big stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

ED E wrote: »
    Exercise to get fit
    (not)Eat to lose weight

Trying to exercise away the weight is a futile effort. Change your diet.

I disagree

If you can fit in enough exercise, say 800 calories burnt, then that can take the edge off dieting, you can eat a healthy amount and the exercise can take care of the deficit

If you just diet it out, it becomes soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I disagree

If you can fit in enough exercise, say 800 calories burnt, then that can take the edge off dieting, you can eat a healthy amount and the exercise can take care of the deficit

If you just diet it out, it becomes soul destroying

A combination works best IMO. Say you are maintaining your current weight, now add in 3500/calories of exercise a week.. should result in a pound a week lost.

The only problem is when people actually start to eat more when they exercise.

Advertisement