Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

White bread seems to be a killer though for big stomach

no one food is going to be the cause of having a gut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Hit the hills! No pain, no gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Kebabs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

White bread seems to be a killer though for big stomach

one food group could.

Cut out carbs, and the weight will fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭griffin100

A mix of exercise and diet control is the best way in my experience to loose weight. As weight drops so will body fat.

However in order to do this well you need to have an understanding of how many calories you are taking in and how many you are burning off. This is where I think most people fall down. They massively overestimate the amount of calories exercise burns, and based on the fact that they are exercising think they can eat anything.

You need to learn the value of a calorie. A weekly deficit of 3,500 calories equals one pound weight loss. So if your weight is currently stable and you haven't being putting weight on recently, if you keep your diet the same and exercise for say 3-4hrs a week on the bike that should give you a 1lb weight loss. However if you treat yourself to a chinese once a week and a mars bar every day in work because you are exercising then that deficit is almost gone.......... I've managed at times to train for 15hrs per week and still not loose weight because of the amount of crap I took in. Exercise intensity is also key.

My Fitness Pal is a good way to track calories in and calories out. I bet you'll be surprised at how hard it is to maintain a 500 calorie a day deficit, especially if like me you like a beer :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

ted1 wrote: »
    one food group could.

replace the bread in your bacon buttie with bacon, be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

wheelo01 wrote: »
    You may not lose weight for the first while, as excess fat will be changing to muscle, and the weight should even itself out.
    In the longer term, higher intensity, plus the above adage, "Excercise more, eat less" is the way forward

Your spins, for a beginner, are very impressive, add in some hills, or longer spins as you progress

This is not how things work. Fat doesn't change into muscle. Not only not by doing exercise, not actually ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I have cut out carbs before but you lose a lot of energy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

one food group could.

Only because carbs are calorie dense food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Cycling is the most efficient way to get from A to B: it's the least energy-hungry method of land travel. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

Don't get too discouraged. I started cycling again a few months ago after years on the couch. Going by the scale I've lost less than a stone but people have been telling me I look half the size of what I was. I think what's happened is that I've lost a lot of fat but I've been gaining muscle in my legs at the same time. Keep it up and your body will slowly transform. The best thing is that the new muscle will burn more calories even when you're just walking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

one food group could.

diets-and-kcal-deficit-e1493211528150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

i did paleo before alrigjht and yeah the weight does fall off

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

You may be going too hard for effective fat burn, using rather energy stored in muscles rather than fat metabolism.
    As strange as it sounds, going lighter may give you what you are after.
    Long hikes, hill walks, light running, long steady bike spins is what I would do.
    Body needs to adapt to use more fat for energy, it takes time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cycling is the most efficient way to get from A to B: it's the least energy-hungry method of land travel. Just saying.
    flying by SR-71 blackbird is the most energy hungry way of getting from A to B*
    if you want to lose weight, travel by supersonic spy plane.

*citation required

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I posted this earlier over on the Nutrition and Diet forum, but an average day for me at the moment is

Breakfast
    2 eggs and Avocado

12pm
    Chicken Fillet and green Veg

4.30pm
    Turkey Burger, green veg, some sort of mashed veg (turnip, cauliflower)

7.30pm
    Big bowl of chilli

If I'm hungry at night I'll have a poached egg or two.

3 litres of water and lots of coffee (Black or a teeny drop of milk to change colour and no sugar)

There will also be a couple of bananas thrown in especially if I am on the bike

I've been sticking to this the last while and the weight is falling off me, I'm the lightest I've been in almost 20years but also stronger and fitter than I've ever been. I do have the odd slip and end up in Texas Fried Chicken and the odd pint of Arthur's finest also but it's working. Averaging between 3 and 400kms a week on the bike and also training in the gym.

I get my food from Gym Trition and I'm on his Ultra Low Carb plan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Big bowl of chilli, can you detail further?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I posted this earlier over on the Nutrition and Diet forum, but an average day for me at the moment is

Breakfast
    2 eggs and Avocado

12pm
    Chicken Fillet and green Veg

4.30pm
    Turkey Burger, green veg, some sort of mashed veg (turnip, cauliflower)

7.30pm
    Big bowl of chilli

If I'm hungry at night I'll have a poached egg or two.

3 litres of water and lots of coffee (Black or a teeny drop of milk to change colour and no sugar)

There will also be a couple of bananas thrown in especially if I am on the bike

I've been sticking to this the last while and the weight is falling off me, I'm the lightest I've been in almost 20years but also stronger and fitter than I've ever been. I do have the odd slip and end up in Texas Fried Chicken and the odd pint of Arthur's finest also but it's working. Averaging between 3 and 400kms a week on the bike and also training in the gym.

I get my food from Gym Trition and I'm on his Ultra Low Carb plan

No surprise there. Your diet is clean and pretty low calorie. You are also clocking up... 15hrs+ a week excercise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    Big bowl of chilli, can you detail further?

It's a homemade chili with kidney beans. I don't make it, I get it from this guy http://gymtrition.ie/2017/09/11/healthy-eating-meal-plans/
    I'm on his Ultra Low Carb plan

He makes everything from scratch, no sugar, no processed food and all meats are Irish and traceable. Sorry I can't give a recipe, I'd burn water :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I see from another post you're only back cycling 2 weeks. You won't notice any weight difference as fluctuations in water weight in the body will stop you for getting an accurate reading.
    I find it takes at least 2 months before you really notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Another thing to remember is that usually when people develop a pot belly they're usually already storing excesses of fat elsewhere in not so noticeable places such as upper and lower back, neck, thighs and arse.

When you start losing fat, if comes off of everywhere at the same time. If you're looking at yourself in the mirror, you might be thinking that the pot belly is all you've got so it should be all coming off there, but thats usually not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Been back on the bike doing less km per week than yourself for two months now. No changes to a terrible diet, drinking and working too much and have managed to lose an inch off waistline. Would guarantee if I stepped up on some scales I'd weigh the same kg as before. My problem stems from having a huge calorie in take from poor food and actually working flat out on a farm 12days in 14. If it's weight loss you're after then a change in diet is the quickest way to do it. Other suggestions of a higher cadence and climbing more hills will maximise the calorie burning aspect of your cycling but it won't change your physique alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

You got to do some weights at the gym or at home, that would make any cycling more effective. I lost 10kg this way. weight session 30-45mins at lunch (no treadmill or bike), then a good hard hour on the bike a few evenings, watch your grub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Calories in less than calories out is all there is to lose weight. When you eat, what you eat* really doesn't matter. Excluding certain foods is normally just a way of going into calorie deficit rather than anything special or necessarily bad about what has been excluded. And the cliche that you can't out train a bad diet is true.

Belly fat is generally the last to go, and the solution is to lose more weight. You can't specifically target certain body areas through diet or specific exercises.

*There are other reasons you want to eat healthier, change bread type, including being fuller for longer. But be aware a lot of healthier alternatives are actually more calorific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭G1032

yes your right ..i do shift work and i find on nights i go for a lot of sugary stuff will have to cut it out ..that and bread ...

Nothing wrong with bread, but eat it in moderation (like everything else).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

flying by SR-71 blackbird is the most energy hungry way of getting from A to B*
    if you want to lose weight, travel by supersonic spy plane.

*citation required
    He's right though. we should all be swimming to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Need to knuckle down here myself diet wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

People know why they are overweight and how deal with it, but can't. Looks like in many cases it's not about what to do or what to eat, but they need a help to deal with addiction.....

• Advertisement

People know why they are overweight and how deal with it, but can't. Looks like in many cases it's not about what to do or what to eat, but they need a help to deal with addiction.....
    which would you recommend so - spinning or grinding?

Advertisement