Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Years ago I had a sweet commute from D4 up to Sandyford but from memory it didn’t turn me into a rake , I was eating a normal enough diet but felt I was entitled not to be “on a diet” . I have the opportunity to commute again this time out the canal 13km each way. However this time I had cut my carbs way back and doing Intermittent fasting to boot and don’t intend to eat more because of the cycling. Its all good so far, steady 1kg drop a week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

coco0981 wrote:
    Because there is a good bit of fat in it I find I'm full for ages, even moreso than with my other normal breakfast which would be porridge and almond milk
    You could probably go full fat milk (or alternatives) in porridge as well if you were looking to up fat, with a bit more convenience. Albeit without the lower carb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I think my recommended calorie intake for weight loss is 1900 - 2000 per day. I haven't really stuck to that tbh. I guess I have this irritaional fear of being hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Waist went from 38" to 32" almost purely from cycling, some diet modification. Cycle fast enough with a relatively heavy Trek Marlin, and fat'll burn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

84kg now, introduced a bit more this week but no downsides. Race I was targeting just got cancelled though so I suspect my will power will drop drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

CramCycle wrote: »
    84kg now, introduced a bit more this week but no downsides. Race I was targeting just got cancelled though so I suspect my will power will drop drastically.

Whats you daily calorie intake now?

mathie wrote: »
    Whats you daily calorie intake now?

A tad varied, between 1000 and 2000cal depending on the day.

Went for two training spins this week. Climbing easier, quicker, pretty much keeping up race efforts without the support of a group which is impressive.

Typical day is (if training):

Protein shake after,

Sandwich loaded with as much of whatever is in the fridge, greens mainly.

Later a large salad or non carb veg, with some BBQ meat.

Non training day:

2 x fortified shakes over the day

Later the same, large salad or veg, and some meat.

2 slips, one with chips when I was out with family, the other with tea and biscuits but for the most part, cravings have subsided.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Im not badly overweight just out off shape amd getting belly fat...
    yes i think my diet needs addressing its awful

Abs are built in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My damn, sucky, weiner kids made lemon drizzle cake this afternoon. Looking at me all sad cos Daddy wouldn't try a piece. So I relented out of love and had a corner of a slice, and then wolfed 3 slices so fast I nearly frightened the life out of em! :D. Flaggelated myself then with a 300 watt interval up Conor Pass in thick fog and sideways rain.

Can't beat holidays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I am currently in the nice position of being able to do 14km a day cycling only and I don't really restrict what I eat at all, and I'd be a sucker for sweet things! Body weight and figure just how I like it.

But I am very aware as I approach my 40th next year that I'm probably on borrowed time with the above so enjoying it while I can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

A tad varied, between 1000 and 2000cal depending on the day.

Went for two training spins this week. Climbing easier, quicker, pretty much keeping up race efforts without the support of a group which is impressive.

Typical day is (if training):

Protein shake after,

Sandwich loaded with as much of whatever is in the fridge, greens mainly.

Later a large salad or non carb veg, with some BBQ meat.

Non training day:

2 x fortified shakes over the day

Later the same, large salad or veg, and some meat.

2 slips, one with chips when I was out with family, the other with tea and biscuits but for the most part, cravings have subsided.

non carb veg?
    any examples?

mathie wrote: »
    non carb veg?
    any examples?

Low carb might be more accurate:
    tomatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, anything green,

Aim for about 200cal a day when I was on the sub 1000.

After another race being cancelled I have decided I am taking the week off, three Bacardi and diet comes in I am now wondering how my greatest enemy, take out pizza, could figure over the next hour.

Someone convince me its a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

After another race being cancelled I have decided I am taking the week off, three Bacardi and diet comes in I am now wondering how my greatest enemy, take out pizza, could figure over the next hour.

Someone convince me its a bad idea.

It's a good idea but if you repeat it tmrw it's a bad idea.... 🀣 🀣 🀣

dahat wrote: »
    It's a good idea but if you repeat it tmrw it's a bad idea.... �� �� ��

Can't argue with that, one comment about fast diets, no tolerance for booze apparently. Too drunk to risk ordering as I could be asleep before I start eating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a couple of recent (non-cycling) articles about fat:

We’re in a new age of obesity. How did it happen? You’d be surprised
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

After ‘The Biggest Loser,’ Their Bodies Fought to Regain Weight
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Interesting articles - suggesting once again that the science of weight management is much more complicated than “a calorie is a calorie is a calorie” and “burn more than you consume and you’ll lose weight”!

worth noting that with george monbiot's article, people have been querying possible changes and inaccuracies in how calorie counts are measured 40 years apart. to be fair to him, he's engaging with the debate on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

worth noting that with george monbiot's article, people have been querying possible changes and inaccuracies in how calorie counts are measured 40 years apart. to be fair to him, he's engaging with the debate on twitter.

The idea that people are eating less but gaining weight due to poor quality of diet is nonsense. Poor quality foods/diet will drive overeating and bypass satiety signaling.

If you are full after a t bone steak, veg and potatoes and couldn't eat another thing? Did you say ice cream? Oh go on then....

There was a huge natural experiment where almost an entire country's population of people ate 25% less calories, reduce fat and protein intake and increased sugar and refined carbohydrate intake (all regarded as bad thing generally) yet all metabolic health markers improved and they dropped weight across the board. The key thing was they didn't have a choice. If people can afford to eat more(which is most of western world and some) and they make same food choices you get what is all around us.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17881386

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12027275

On obesity the overwhelming evidence is that if an adult is obese, in the long term that's what about 90% will continue to be. The research of Swhwarz/Gueynet etc on body fat regulation and the role of hypothalmus/leptin/ghrelin etc has remained unchallenged.

The 10% who can lose it and keep it off are interesting. There is research in that area to including Dr O'Shea and his colleagues.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    The idea that people are eating less but gaining weight due to poor quality of diet is nonsense. Poor quality foods/diet will drive overeating and bypass satiety signaling.

If you are full after a t bone steak, veg and potatoes and couldn't eat another thing? Did you say ice cream? Oh go on then....

There was a huge natural experiment where almost an entire country's population of people ate 25% less calories, reduce fat and protein intake and increased sugar and refined carbohydrate intake (all regarded as bad thing generally) yet all metabolic health markers improved and they dropped weight across the board. The key thing was they didn't have a choice. If people can afford to eat more(which is most of western world and some) and they make same food choices you get what is all around us.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17881386

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12027275

On obesity the overwhelming evidence is that if an adult is obese, in the long term that's what about 90% will continue to be. The research of Swhwarz/Gueynet etc on body fat regulation and the role of hypothalmus/leptin/ghrelin etc has remained unchallenged.

The 10% who can lose it and keep it off are interesting. There is research in that area to including Dr O'Shea and his colleagues.

one of the under discussed issues are people's eating window versus their fasting window. Any more traditional society would tend to have set eating times whereas the modern food industry has an incentive to flog snacking and eating all the way up to your bedtime. There is a canadian doctor Jason Fung
    who is leading the charge on discussing when/how often you eat being as important as what you eat, he is reversing type 2 in his patients with intermittent fasting and fasting protocols. Then you have side issues like stress and sleep which can cause or add to obesity but they are not calorie issues.

that 10% figure you mention is grim but it is on the back of bad medical advice and practices so maybe its possible to shift that number somewhat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

ford2600 wrote:
    This figure is why I've (mostly) accepted I'll be tracking calories for the foreseeable*. Is that "healthy"? Maybe not, but healthier than my starting weight...

In the general population, using what I see in work as evidence, I'd question whether that figure is at least partly because too many go all in too quickly rather than make gradual changes. Portion control is so much rather than "diet", especially at morbidly obese levels. I'm still susceptible to that (one of the reasons I still weight and track).

* I've just started 'the endurance diet" by Matt Fitzgerald. Partly as I'm beginning to look at body composition, but also maybe as a way of moving away from calorie tracking. Although probably just swapping one form of tracking for another with dqs.

I was at a talk by Carel le Roux recently on hormonal regulation of weight and various treatment interventions, such as GLP1 agonists. The amazing thing in the work he showed was that in many cases, while you could get people to lose weight as soon as the intervention stopped the weight piled on to exactly the same level as before. Now don't get me wrong, it was a sponsored talk so was heavily weighted to medical interventions and I feel it didn't give enough weight to other interventions but still interesting to see the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Have you a link to this per chance??

i doubt the average person is a missed breakfast and a gym work out away from being in a ketogenic state.
    The rationale behind exercising on an empty stomach is that your blood sugar and glycogen levels fall when you fast. In theory, exercising in this state should force your body into a ketogenic state where, having exhausted carbohydrate reserves, it starts to burn fat.

Yes, my understanding is that skipping breakfast isn't the same as being glycogen depleted.

Although I have heard it discussed on credible podcasts that the evidence is somewhat moving away from even that. (No links or anything, just my recollection, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Another study showing that "this" may actually do "this". Insert anything. Eg "reading" may actually "decrease literacy levels".

And 12 subjects?????

Fcuk. Off. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I was at a talk by Carel le Roux recently on hormonal regulation of weight and various treatment interventions, such as GLP1 agonists. The amazing thing in the work he showed was that in many cases, while you could get people to lose weight as soon as the intervention stopped the weight piled on to exactly the same level as before. Now don't get me wrong, it was a sponsored talk so was heavily weighted to medical interventions and I feel it didn't give enough weight to other interventions but still interesting to see the data.

If they can get a drug passed that will "work" it will sell; as sad as that is.

There are some interesting lab studies on rats playing around with leptin, hypothalamic injury.

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode175/

A quote from the man in podcast above who gave the world a means of measuring expenditure using double labelled water. "if you want to be lean, don't get fat".

frag420 wrote: »
    Have you a link to this per chance??

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/31804/17th_November_2016_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_3/

Dr O'Shea's colleague is interviewed here. Dr O'Shea has been quoted a lot saying similar.

What a piece of sh1te for an article;
    *what research, where's the link.
    *what universities, what researchers?
    * 12 person study?
    * who paid for it?

An hours cycling will but someone in ketosis? For your average Joe it would take a couple of days of really low carb eating or probably 24hr fast. It's about 700cals which will come from fat and glycogen and if you can't do that fasted you have bigger issues.

If you are worried about muscle wastage from no protein at breakfast your diet needs a major overhaul.

• Advertisement

If skipping breakfast was even remotely close to being glycogen depleted, half the workforce would fall over before 11am.

Advertisement