Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cycling great for the bottom half...but for top half nothing...still got a gut :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fryup wrote: »
    cycling great for the bottom half...but for top half nothing...still got a gut :o

its the old one of diet being over 90% of any issue

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I'd say your username might be more the problem than cycling is! Your body isn't selective about where it burns fat for physical activity.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but i always go for a long cycle after i have a fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but i always go for a long cycle after i have a fryup

the fryup is much maligned :pac: i'd only say drop any toast or fried potatoes but otherwise in my best Joey voice, eggs good, bacon good....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to follow up on this, have went back from the calorie cutting. Calories are back to about 1200 to 1800 a day, so still under the recommended amount but I am not forcing it. Weight has stayed under 83kg for over a week now. Interestingly my attitude, unknowingly, has changed in regards satiety. I don't feel the need to eat all and sundry around me, have no issue saying when I am full and stopping.

Partner has, accidentally, commented that my love handles have shrunk. I now fit into trousers and shirts that have not fit for a few years. A work colleague even commented that I had toned up. Fit into two cycling jerseys I received as presents that had never fitted me before.

i have no intention of losing more weight, just plan on not going back to what occurred to me this year.

It probably won't work for everyone and listening to experts talk in work, it would appear that I am an outlier if my weight stays down without huge effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well done. Just watch the complacency. It's like the playground slide. The ladder up is the weight loss and the slide down is the (WHEEE!) easy peasy bit! :)

Anyway, if you stick to 12-1800 cals and you're training, you'll definitely lose more weight albeit perhaps at a slower (not a bad thing) pace.

I'm currently sticking to an intermittent fasting routine - so I don't break my fast until about 1pm every day and close the tuck-shop hatch at about 6.30 / 7. - Except when I do a long weekend spin in which case I have a breakfast as normal. - It's working well so far, not hard to stick to - but I'm off to the States now for the weekend which is surely going to knock it all into a cocked hat. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this, have went back from the calorie cutting. Calories are back to about 1200 to 1800 a day, so still under the recommended amount but I am not forcing it. Weight has stayed under 83kg for over a week now. Interestingly my attitude, unknowingly, has changed in regards satiety. I don't feel the need to eat all and sundry around me, have no issue saying when I am full and stopping.

Partner has, accidentally, commented that my love handles have shrunk. I now fit into trousers and shirts that have not fit for a few years. A work colleague even commented that I had toned up. Fit into two cycling jerseys I received as presents that had never fitted me before.

i have no intention of losing more weight, just plan on not going back to what occurred to me this year.

It probably won't work for everyone and listening to experts talk in work, it would appear that I am an outlier if my weight stays down without huge effort.

I'm the same, low calorie diet and Ive only been doing 40km on the bike per week, love handles are starting to shift, legs got much thinner(jeans falling off showing my arse:pac:) noticed yesterday that Im not as wide as before lol, I'm going to start pushing to about 60-65km a week to see how much I can shift but gotta agree the bottom half is reaping the benefits more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am currently debunking the theory that you can't out train a bad diet :D

After a long hiatus from cycling I started back in May. Managing a steady 8-10hrs a week now but eating roughly the same as before (not terrible but not good) and dropping ~0.5kg a week. I could make an effort and clean up my diet also, but while this continues I won't bother.

I really think for the most part... calories out > calories in (regardless of where these come from) = weight loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

My exercise has ramped up recently but my diet hasn't dramatically changed. I'm almost certain I've lost weight but it's not showing on the scales. My jeans feel looser although my legs seem to be slapping on muscle from the cycling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interestingly my attitude, unknowingly, has changed in regards satiety. I don't feel the need to eat all and sundry around me, have no issue saying when I am full and stopping.
    I'm ok like this all day. And then I sit down and then the hunger strikes! Still working on that - it's mainly circumstance means I haven't eaten earlier, but then it effects my sleep....
    mloc123 wrote: »
    After a long hiatus from cycling I started back in May. Managing a steady 8-10hrs a week now but eating roughly the same as before (not terrible but not good) and dropping ~0.5kg a week. I could make an effort and clean up my diet also, but while this continues I won't bother.

I really think for the most part... calories out > calories in (regardless of where these come from) = weight loss
    Diet can't be that bad! Exercise can obviously push you into deficit, but it depends how bad the diet is.

Just in general, I still think there is the issue is guestimates from watches and apps overstating calorie burn. My HRM didn't work for some reason this morning - my watch gave me at least 150 calories more than other mornings and what I'd have expected. And I expected it to be up due to headwind and heavy pannier and being on the beater. If that was the usual load and a tailwind it was probably 250 calories over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd consider myself a healthy weight - have lost about 7 or 8 kg over the last year - but for the laugh, i went to a BMI calculator to see where i score.
    assuming the scales in my in-laws bathroom is connect, i'm just inside the upper limit for normal. 24.6.
    if i lost another 18KG (!) my BMI would still be considered healthy.

That's just societal norms now. Overweight is the new healthy. Because "rugby players" sedantary Steve in the office doesn't think it's a valid measure anyway, as he tucks into a donut...

i'd consider myself a healthy weight - have lost about 7 or 8 kg over the last year - but for the laugh, i went to a BMI calculator to see where i score.
    assuming the scales in my in-laws bathroom is connect, i'm just inside the upper limit for normal. 24.6.

BMI is widely regarded as one of the worst indicators for healthy weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah yeah, no way in hell i'd want to lose that much weight - i'm about 171 or 172cm, and my weight is 72KG. losing another 2KG wouldn't hurt, but that'd be probably as low as i'd be happy to go.

waist being under half your height is another one , if you are 172cm (5"6) then a waist measure under 33 inches is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

BMI is widely regarded as one of the worst indicators for healthy weight.

My mate is clinically obese according to BMI, he competes in quest races and the like and is a PT and currently sitting at about 10% body fat....

I had a month of garden leave and spent the whole month drinking and eating :o Back on track now though and I have 28weeks to drop 20kg

silverharp wrote: »
    waist being under half your height is another one , if you are 172cm (5"6) then a waist measure under 33 inches is grand
    ah, i've been doing it wrong so - i'm between 5'7" and 5'8" but got the conversion wrong in my head. so i'm actually about 175cm i think.

My mate is clinically obese according to BMI, he competes in quest races and the like and is a PT and currently sitting at about 10% body fat....
    Pretty similar to the rubgy player examples though, no? My main point would still be that the people I hear discredit it most, are not people that BMI accuracy is their issue.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pretty similar to the rubgy player examples though, no? My main point would still be that the people I hear discredit it most, are not people that BMI accuracy is their issue.

BMI for the average person on the street that is not active is a pretty good indicator. People with high muscle mass skew it.

Like you say... it is the people that have no muscle and say "oh BMI is nonsense" because they are 'normal' and not really overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Started back on a diet 11days ago when the turbo came back out to play. When my carbs are high i hold a lot of water so iv stripped them out to the lowest level.

Trick is to to keep protein levels high (retain and repair muscle) and turkey burgers are your best friend here. High protein 0 fat 0 carbs. Have went from 83.5 to 78. Drop is slowing now but should hit 75 for the great dublin bike ride. Height is 183cm. Aim is a body fat of around 9%

mloc123 wrote: »
    BMI for the average person on the street that is not active is a pretty good indicator. People with high muscle mass skew it.

Like you say... it is the people that have no muscle and say "oh BMI is nonsense" because they are 'normal' and not really overweight.
    I would disagree as there is a wide variety of factors. I'd put more faith in a skin folds fat test. The BMI is as accurate as the honesty of the person. If your Brian O'Driscoll and it says your obese, its wrong and you should know that. If you have a beer belly and you have the same BMI as Brian O'Driscoll, then your obese, you don't actually need a scale to figure this out.
    Trick is to to keep protein levels high (retain and repair muscle) and turkey burgers are your best friend here. High protein 0 fat 0 carbs. Have went from 83.5 to 78. Drop is slowing now but should hit 75 for the great dublin bike ride. Height is 183cm. Aim is a body fat of around 9%
    But my lord are Turkey Sausages the worst food ever created.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

CramCycle wrote:
    But my lord are Turkey Sausages the worst food ever created.

Wouldnt feed them to the dog :D

I would disagree as there is a wide variety of factors. I'd put more faith in a skin folds fat test. The BMI is as accurate as the honesty of the person. If your Brian O'Driscoll and it says your obese, its wrong and you should know that. If you have a beer belly and you have the same BMI as Brian O'Driscoll, then your obese, you don't actually need a scale to figure this out. But my lord are Turkey Sausages the worst food ever created.

Like I said... The average person on the street without muscle mass. He does not fall into the category. As you mention... Honesty also, people have a habit of thinking they are a little taller and a little lighter than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This winter is all about loosing weight for me. I just cannot turn the new year over 100kgs or I'm wasting my time & money A3 racing.

After my cyst surgery late June I had 6 weeks off the bike I went to 108kgs but have got that down to 102kgs now. In an ideal world I'd like to hit November sub 100kgs.

A racing weight of 95kgs would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

wheelo01 wrote: »
    You may not lose weight for the first while, as excess fat will be changing to muscle,

:confused:

Fat is as unlikely to change to muscle as it is to change to skin , hair , toenails , bones or any other part of the human body .
    As you increase exercise fat will ( may ) reduce to allow any muscle you have to become more obvious but only exercise and protein will build muscle.

I think its just a phrase to describe the loss of fat without a corresponding loss in overall mass. Typically seen by people who are doing targeted training to build muscles. If you just diet and change nothing else you will lose mass, most likely mainly fat but also muscle etc. Do it with training and you will maintain or build muscle, hence the phrasing of converting fat to muscle, not meaning the literal turning of fat to muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    This winter is all about loosing weight for me. I just cannot turn the new year over 100kgs or I'm wasting my time & money A3 racing.

After my cyst surgery late June I had 6 weeks off the bike I went to 108kgs but have got that down to 102kgs now. In an ideal world I'd like to hit November sub 100kgs.

A racing weight of 95kgs would be ideal.

I'm back at 100, as I said earlier I'm aiming for 85 with a final 2 week cut to 80 in 28 weeks. I had been paying a guy to do my food which is great but I'm also on cost cutting at the moment and paying 75quid a week for 5 days food is just a tad too much to stomach for the next couple of months (Stupid friends and their stupid weddings and christenings etc etc) Happy to share my recipes with ya

I think the muscle growth may be true with strength training*, but my experience is has been it's very hard to do both. I maintained FTP but it didn't increase, and power to weight went up. Actually, since I hit (new) target and have been eating to maintenance, the FTP is (well was when I was doing the structured training) beginning to grow. I always maintained my protein intake, being very conservative in my target - i.e. shooting for slightly above the recommended for endurance "athletes".

*generally, people weight training do bulk and cuts. Build muscle during bulk phase, try hard to maintain as much as possible (but accepting they can't retain all) during cuts.

Unless it's seen on measurements, or visually, I also think the static weight loss despite "a diet" is usually a case of not accurately or honestly taking everything into account on the diet side for the majority of people.

• Advertisement

i honestly claim if you can avoid eating after 7 pm it makes a big difference to your weight and tummy

Advertisement