Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peak rugby?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I have nothing really against rugby but in this country, the 'people's sport' is GAA and anyone who suggests anything otherwise is a complete moron

The GAA is the peoples sport your right ,
    its greedy self serving cares nothing for those who give it everything once they are of no more use, its controlled by creepy old men who are stuck 50 years in the past.

its just like ireland in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

mynamejeff wrote: »
    The GAA is the peoples sport your right ,
    its greedy self serving cares nothing for those who give it everything once they are of no more use, its controlled by creepy old men who are stuck 50 years in the past.

its just like ireland in fairness

What in the name of **** are you on about

EDIT: can't curse here really? jesus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I have nothing really against rugby but in this country, the 'people's sport' is GAA and anyone who suggests anything otherwise is a complete moron

Growing up in Dublin and it's definitely soccer. You don't have kids playing GAA out on the road or in the park; it's almost always soccer. Far more time gets spent talking about and playing soccer than about GAA.

Might be different in the rest of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

What in the name of **** are you on about

EDIT: can't curse here really? jesus

relax todd , im agreeing with you

sort of

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Amirani wrote: »
    Growing up in Dublin and it's definitely soccer. You don't have kids playing GAA out on the road or in the park; it's almost always soccer. Far more time gets spent talking about and playing soccer than about GAA.

Might be different in the rest of the country.

My comment said "in this country". I thought that made it pretty clear that I was talking about Ireland as a whole, not one specific part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

There will never be anything like an Italia 90 equivalent of rugby in this country.

Even Saipan and France, the way the country bands together for the football is on a different level to the rugby.

The League of Ireland suffers not because of a lack of footballing support, we have a huge footballing support in this country. The issue is the thousands flying over to England each weekend to support United/Liverpool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Rugby has a lot of room to grow, but it's hard to gauge how much real enthusiasm there is for growth at the grassroots level.

In my office, plenty of people follow the international matches, but wouldn't go to a provincial match until a quarter or semi final, and if you asked them if they'd let their kids play they'd balk at the thought of them playing rugby, due to the risk of injuries.

As a consequence, the high profile successes of the international team doesn't increase grassroots participation like it did with the football team in Italia 90, or how GAA has had a massive increase in participation due to Dublin's successes in the last few years. Without a growth in player numbers, rugby will continue to rely on foreign imports, which is an expensive game to get into and not sustainable in the long term. 

Having said that, **** the egg chasers.
    However the provinces successes and national teams successes has increased grassroots participation. Not to same extent as soccer after Italia 90 but pretty substantial nonetheless with age grade players.
    You are very focused on Dublin as dublins successes in football wont have changed participation in most counties.
    Dublin's successes are an example of a team's success increasing participation in the area in which the team is based. Dublin county team in gaa is comparable to Italia 90 Irish football team in football in that they bth increased participation in their sport in their catchment area.

Rugby's success has not had the same corresponding increase in the national team's catchment area[Ireland]. 

I'd dispute that it's the people's game as well, Ewan McKenna has a rebuttal for it here - link

By any reasonable metric, football [or as you bogmen call it, soccer] is the national game, being the most popular team sport in Ireland - link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dublin's successes are an example of a team's success increasing participation in the area in which the team is based. Dublin county team in gaa is comparable to Italia 90 Irish football team in football in that they bth increased participation in their sport in their catchment area.

Rugby's success has not had the same corresponding increase in the national team's catchment area[Ireland]. 

I'd dispute that it's the people's game as well, Ewan McKenna has a rebuttal for it here - link

By any reasonable metric, football [or as you bogmen call it, soccer] is the national game, being the most popular team sport in Ireland - link
    Its only non rugby supporters who get wound up by this peoples game crap. Most rugby supporters know its not the main sport country wide and wont ever. Rugbys success has had a relative increase in support/playing numbers since the provinces and then national team became successful after the 90s which was the worst decade ever for the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mokuba wrote: »
    There will never be anything like an Italia 90 equivalent of rugby in this country.

Even Saipan and France, the way the country bands together for the football is on a different level to the rugby.

The League of Ireland suffers not because of a lack of footballing support, we have a huge footballing support in this country. The issue is the thousands flying over to England each weekend to support United/Liverpool etc.

More rather just watch it on telly or in the pub, sadly. That's the bigger killer. As a nation of such ''football-mad'' people, we don't do the week-in and week-out grind. United or Liverpool once a year complete with a Facebook check in and a trip to the gift shop. I'll never let my kids think football is a tv show. Can't beat being there, no matter what the sport is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

My comment said "in this country". I thought that made it pretty clear that I was talking about Ireland as a whole, not one specific part

If you wanna be pedantic, then soccer is the biggest team participation sport "in this country", so your statement is probably wrong anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The "people's game" thing is just a reference to an idiotic comment by Daire O'Brien. It's a joke. I've never really understood feeling malice towards any sport really.

Rugby will never match GAA and especially soccer as a participation sport. It's fairly popular as a spectator sport and international element of it is something that obviously GAA can't compete with. Have we reached peak? Doubt it, seems to be on an upward trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Not much of an argument. Leinster Munster matches alone probably exceed all of the yearly soccer-ball attendances.

Soccerball is not that popular as a spectator sport. National team is sh1te and not getting better. Local clubs have more players than supporters.

Probably soccer-ball will have to move out of the Aviva. Maybe swap with the cricket grounds in malahide. That’s a growing sport.

Funny that you should say that. I was recently at a cricket club that is being forced to move from its current home of more that 30 years by a 400% rent increase being sought by the rugby club that owns the land.
    One of the rugby club members was overheard saying that they didn't mind the South Africans, Zimbabweans, Aussies, etc who have been members over the years, but "we don't want the f****** Pakis!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We have indeed passed peak rugby.

We are fortunate to have seen it. Like the rarest of comets, it flashed across the universe, coincident with our brief flicker of time spent in it. Making us the most privileged, fortunate, and richest of life in all its forms.

As we play out our years, there is a nagging sense that we know there will never be its like again.

But we are consoled by : The grace. The speed. The seventh sense which may indeed have been an ability to see matters unfold before they have even happened or others have even thought of doing them. The power. The creativity. The immense, incredible, aching beauty of it all. And we saw it. Peak rugby. This was peak rugby :

Brian%2BO%2527Driscoll.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We are fortunate to have seen it. Like the rarest of comets, it flashed across the universe, coincident with our brief flicker of time spent in it. Making us the most privileged, fortunate, and richest of life in all its forms.

As we play out our years, there is a nagging sense that we know there will never be its like again.

But we are consoled by : The grace. The speed. The seventh sense which may indeed have been an ability to see matters unfold before they have even happened or others have even thought of doing them. The power. The creativity. The immense, incredible, aching beauty of it all. And we saw it. Peak rugby. This was peak rugby :

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

d3a5a221-e31f-4525-b4da-416fd570275c-640x638.jpg

And you're welcome to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

d3a5a221-e31f-4525-b4da-416fd570275c-640x638.jpg

And you're welcome to it.

You know that's literally from a documentary on cross cultural relations in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rugby doesn't outstay it's welcome thanks to a relatively short season and competitions with a small amount of evenly matched teams.
    It's also good for small talk as nobody actually knows the rules and most of the general population don't take it too seriously.

I think you'll find, they're actually called 'laws' and not 'rules'

how dare you mislabel them, you sir are worse than hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Amirani wrote: »
    Connaught had an average attendance of 5,780 last season. Not exactly great for a full province in a league with only 10 home games a year.

Cork City averaged 4,559 last year in their 17 home games.

Interestingly, almost exactly the same same amount of people live in County Cork as live in Connaught.

One week out and Russia had sold 2.4 million tickets for the Nancyball World Cup.

Two years out and Japan has already had 2.5 million applications for tickets.

And the Rugby World Cup has only 48 games compared to the FIFA World Cup with 64. Not to mention that Russa is football's confederate heartland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I quite like rugby, but not the hype that goes with it though once we start playing well and the hype after we lose. I don't know what's it's like now but when I left ireland it was certainly not a cross society sport when it came to on field participation, it was even worse than cricket as at least there you had plenty of working class immigrants taking part

I was surprised by the lack of hype surrounding the grand slam and their victory down under, to a lesser extent, this year. The grand slam was a wonderful achievement but it didn't get anything near the level of media attention that the football teams exploits in the Euros got or the annual love in with the Dublin GAA football team when they win in September.
    One of the reasons I don't like rugby is my childhood best friend's brother died from injuries sustained in a scrum during a game. His neck was broken. ...in a scrum like???

The game has changed since then. The scrum is a far more controlled affair. I went to school with loads of people who played rugby and it was a rough game back then for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

One of the things I like the most about rugby is the fact that it is a genuine 32 county sport with people from Nationalist and Unionist backgrounds all standing together cheering on Ireland.

PCX wrote: »
    One of the things I like the most about rugby is the fact that it is a genuine 32 county sport with people from Nationalist and Unionist backgrounds all standing together cheering on Ireland.

It's the key to a shared national identical in a potential united Ireland. Mandela did the same in South Africa.

troyzer wrote: »
    One week out and Russia had sold 2.4 million tickets for the Nancyball World Cup.

And the Rugby World Cup has only 48 games compared to the FIFA World Cup with 64. Not to mention that Russa is football's confederate heartland.
    Do you know the difference between tickets sold, and applications for sale? You're not comparing like with like at all.

Bear in mind, that 2.4 million sales is out of a total availability of 2.5 million. So only 4% of tickets went unsold.

2.5 million applications do not give any insight into what games people are looking to get tickets for. It's entirely possible, and likely, that a small number of games are massively oversubscribed with people looking for tickets[ NZ for example], while others are struggling.

Of course, for those ignorant of statistics, only time will enlighten them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Do you know the difference between tickets sold, and applications for sale? You're not comparing like with like at all.

Bear in mind, that 2.4 million sales is out of a total availability of 2.5 million. So only 4% of tickets went unsold.

2.5 million applications do not give any insight into what games people are looking to get tickets for. It's entirely possible, and likely, that a small number of games are massively oversubscribed with people looking for tickets[ NZ for example], while others are struggling.

There were over 4 million applications for tickets for the 2018 FIFA World Cup if you want to compare like for like in ticket applications, and it is only a year out to the egg chasing World Cup, if you want to go down that route of trying to to be funny with sports names

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/2018-fifa-world-cup-over-four-million-tickets-requested-sales-window-c-2926999

There were over 4 million applications for tickets for the 2018 FIFA World Cup if you want to compare like for like in ticket applications, and it is only a year out to the egg chasing World Cup, if you want to go down that route of trying to to be funny with sports names

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/2018-fifa-world-cup-over-four-million-tickets-requested-sales-window-c-2926999
    Looking at the article, the 4 million figure relates to the requests since the start of that sales period[a month prior to the article being published]. FIFA had multiple sales periods, so the figure for requests will be much higher than than 4 million for that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The bolded bit is a fair point and a reason why I wasn't overly disappointed we didn't get the Rugby World Cup.

While the success of the national team has generated a lot of interest amongst the general public including those who wouldn't normally be rugby fans, I think a lot of games would struggle to get 50% attendance.

The big teams like NZ, Australia and the hosts would certainly be high demand and attract a travelling support but try selling Romania v Georgia in Castlebar to the neutrals.

A football World Cup attracts hundreds of thousands (possibly in the millions) to a country and includes fans from countries that haven't even qualified, most of whom do want to see the likes of Brazil, France, etc but would happily attend any game once they're there.

Of course the last point may be completely blown out of the water in Qatar and we could be posting on a thread in AH asking was Russia 2018 peak World Cup? Thanks, FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lot of people I know started supporting rugby in around 2002-03 onwards. Then they all became hardcore fans all of sudden. Most lads have a Munster or Leinster jersey and half them think they are as strong as Lomu.

It's a great sport in a lot of ways though but it's very up it's own arse the way they look at themselves and way they think they are better then other sports.

Rugby was at its best for me in 90s and up to 2007 World Cup but now it's become battering matches to watch at times and if honest it's puke stuff even from best teams. Drugs at underage is even worrying.

Advertisement