Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rabbit Control 22lr for without ricochet

Options
  • 23-07-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

My sports club is having a awful problem with rabbits they tried other methods of controlling them with no avail they are digging holes and chewing up netting the coach knows i do shooting as a sport as i took him out before he asks if i can shoot the rabbits at dawn from the scoreboard their are houses 600 metres away from the field past a brick wall i be shooting downhill at the rabbits into the dirt what ammo is good for rabbits but lacks overpentration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The problem with low velocity ammo is that there is a tendency for it to ricochet, the bullet won't fragment on contact with a hard surface. This is the advantage of the .17HMR , the fast light bullets fragments and reduce risk of ricochet.
    Another factor will be the surface your shooting over if, particularly now, the surface is dry and compact it will be like skipping stones off concrete. Be aware water and wet grass will also give you nice ricochets.
    I would be weary as to the local houses, are you in a built up area or is this sports ground on the edge of a rural area?

If the area is suitable to shoot at all, I would suggest keeping your ranges short, shoot at a steep down ward angle (even a full length set of shooting sticks for standing shots will do) and keep your shots to chest / double shoulder shots and use something like CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP to increase the chances of fragmentation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No guarantee of any type of ammo, not ricocheting. But you have the advantage of shooting downwards into I assume a pitch type field, so there is hardly likely to be anything on the pitch, like stones etc to cause that problem? Std subsonic ammo should be fine for this.
    As CM said,keep the shots as much as possible at an acute downward angle from the scoreboard.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

I was having a similar problem and shooting was not an option but I sorted it with cage traps from the Trap Man in the UK. If you go that route, I bought a mix of the folding ones and the standards but for some reason the latter ones caught more rabbits. All you need then is a few carrots (cut them length ways for the best results I found) and you are away with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

breakemall wrote: »
    I was having a similar problem and shooting was not an option but I sorted it with cage traps from the Trap Man in the UK. If you go that route, I bought a mix of the folding ones and the standards but for some reason the latter ones caught more rabbits. All you need then is a few carrots (cut them length ways for the best results I found) and you are away with it...

McCarthys in Prosperous have Rabbit cage traps in stock the same as the mink and rat traps on their website below.
    https://www.huntingandfishing.ie/brand/pest-stop/

Advertisement