Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half Marathon Sunday 23rd September @10am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Number arrived this morning in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Meant to post on here yesterday evening - saw on their news feed on Facebook that all numbers are posted but you have to collect the tshirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Got mine too, few minutes extra in bed- now if that storm that's threatening for sunday would just **** off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

"SUNDAY ... Some guidance is showing the wind gradient becoming very strong by early Sunday morning to about mid-day with potential for gusts to 120 km/hr. This situation will need to be watched, part of the energy for the low comes from former hurricane Florence although that circulation is not fully absorbed and remains further back in the central Atlantic. At the least, it should be a windy and showery day with some clearing later, highs near 14 C."

If this happens I think we might have a problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Yikes didn't hear about the weather warning, didn't need to know that :) I'd vague plans to try a bit harder than normal on Sunday but if it means battling a storm then I'll put that idea on hold I think.

Number arrived for me as well this morning.

• Advertisement

On a positive note- if there is a storm it'll make half the race much easier- we'll be blown out to Kilmallock and then all you need to do is tuck in behind a big group for a nice sheltered run back to Charleville!

sideswipe wrote: »
    On a positive note- if there is a storm it'll make half the race much easier- we'll be blown out to Kilmallock and then all you need to do is tuck in behind a big group for a nice sheltered run back to Charleville!

We might not make it back looking at the weather models

Well they’ve opened a thread on the weather forum about Sunday. I’m going to remain optimistic and predict perfect conditions on Sunday morning with the storm arriving later in the day as I sit down at home, rain lashing the windows as I enjoy a PB beer!

Well they’ve opened a thread on the weather forum about Sunday. I’m going to remain optimistic and predict perfect conditions on Sunday morning with the storm arriving later in the day as I sit down at home, rain lashing the windows as I enjoy a PB beer!

Please god, just let us get home to Dublin before it hits.

Got my number though. Is there a risk it could be cancelled?

Please god, just let us get home to Dublin before it hits.

Got my number though. Is there a risk it could be cancelled?

If they start dishing out Orange warnings from the day before the organisers will have a decision to make, 1400 runners running on a fully tree lined route in high winds would be risky. RTE lunch time weather spoke about 'potential' for Sunday so it seems it will be all down to the timing.

• Advertisement

If they start dishing out Orange warnings from the day before the organisers will have a decision to make, 1400 runners running on a fully tree lined route in high winds would be risky. RTE lunch time weather spoke about 'potential' for Sunday so it seems it will be all down to the timing.

Would need to know by Friday if its cancelled, as otherwise it will cost me a good bit of money with the hotel cost!!

Would need to know by Friday if its cancelled, as otherwise it will cost me a good bit of money with the hotel cost!!

Can't see it being called 2 days out tbh. Still a long way to go, that storm could be off to the south or north by then hopefully. Either way you'll be able to make a better call by Friday when the forecast range is more reliable.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-10.gif

Sorry couldn't resist average_runner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Latest reports suggest that storm is going to miss us.

Latest reports suggest that storm is going to miss us.

Where did u see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Not looking so bad for Sunday judging by latest met.ie forecast. In fact a bit a drizzle will be welcomed I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

MET Éireann themselves are unsure about the weather for Sunday

From: https://www.met.ie/update-on-atlantic-storms-near-ireland
    Possible Storm this Weekend
    The weather remains changeable and disturbed for the coming weekend and there is potential for another storm to form late Saturday into Sunday. The track of the depression is uncertain at this stage and both Met Éireann and the UK Met Office are monitoring developments. Further updates and relevant warnings will be issued as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The notorious yr.no is more optimistic.

Looks like it be cold anyhow. Big difference to the summer

Don't mind cold, this is the time of year I start to enjoy races more. Every race I have done since London in April has been ranged between warm/humid and roasting. Seems the forecasters can't get a real handle on what Sunday has in store yet.

Why do they bother posting out numbers and then insist t-shirts are collected before the race? Surly it makes more sense to hand them out afterwards.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    The notorious yr.no is more optimistic.

Too optimistic I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

opus wrote: »
    Too optimistic I think :)

Weather looks good now

Yeah pretty nice here now. Time for a swim

jfh wrote: »
    Weather looks good now

For sure I stand corrected and apologise to our Norwegian overlords :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good luck to all running tomorrow, I'm sorry to be missing it....

Give it socks folks..... :)

Looks good outside down here. Hopefully perfect conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Some results from the elite men. 7 under 68!!. Can't remember the last time that happened in an Irish race, probably decades ago!

John Travers 64:23
    Mick Clohissey 64:30
    Kevin Maunsell 65:14
    Sergiu Ciobanu 66:47
    Mark Kirwan 67:09
    Tim O'Donughue 67:39
    Thomas Hayes 67:49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Safiri wrote: »
    Some results from the elite men. 7 under 68!!. Can't remember the last time that happened in an Irish race, probably decades ago!

John Travers 64:23
    Mick Clohissey 64:30
    Kevin Maunsell 65:14
    Sergiu Ciobanu 66:47
    Mark Kirwan 67:09
    Tim O'Donughue 67:39
    Thomas Hayes 67:49

Can't wait until John tackles the marathon! Given how new he is to the half and who his coach is, I suspect there'll be minutes dropping off that HM time too over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Any link to results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any link to results?

I downloaded the sportstiming tracker app from the google play store.

Advertisement