Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing goods from Hong Kong

Options
  • 24-07-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Looking for some input. I've been looking into purchasing a phone from HK, but don't understand fully what duty/tax is payable on the device on arrival. It's roughly 360euro. I found the following website (customsdutyfree.com/ireland-customs-and-import-duty-tax-calculation-method/) that says "Electronic goods such as Laptops, Mobile Phones, Digital cameras and Video Game instruments are duty free." but can't find any other sources to say if this is true and what other taxes I may need to pay.

Helpful advise on calculating what I could owe would be much appreciated (i.e. sources for % tax due, % customs due etc.). Please back up any advise/opinion with a source/link :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

your better chances at posting this in this section here people will give you numbers to the cent, and all the costs

Consumer breadcrumb_divider.pngOnline Buying & Auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

The duty on mobile phones is indeed zero. VAT is charged over the cost of the phone plus delivery costs. Make sure that the invoice accompanying the shipment is VERY clear and shows the freight / delivery costs. If not the courier company is forced to add an agreed figure to the value of the phone (agreed with Customs) over which VAT will also be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    The duty on mobile phones is indeed zero. VAT is charged over the cost of the phone plus delivery costs. Make sure that the invoice accompanying the shipment is VERY clear and shows the freight / delivery costs. If not the courier company is forced to add an agreed figure to the value of the phone (agreed with Customs) over which VAT will also be charged.

Forgot to confirm the percentage of VAT is 23%. I am a logistics industry professional with 40 years experience. If you need a link send me a PM and I will provide you with the link to my linkedin profile.

Advertisement