Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Gloss Finish From Stock

Options
  • 24-07-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

guys, iv a gloss stock for a airarms s510 and to be honest it was probably a mistake buying a gloss finished one as every mark turns white on the stock as the marks are etched into the gloss

Is there anyone around that is able to remove the gloss finish on the stock and bring it to a matt finish for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you fancy some DIY,Its a pretty simple job to do.
    Nitromorse paint stripper will take that gloss right off .
    Get a Birchwood Casey stock refinishing kit off Brownells or eBay and follow the instructions.It has a wood stain if your wood is too light, a stock oil and wax.
    Youtube has rakes of videos on how to do this job and with abit of time and patience,you can do a real pro job on any wood stock.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Yep sounds like something i could do.

Where would i source the stripper to start with

Never mind i see woodies or halfords have it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get plenty of various grades of wire wool too while you are there.From pan scrubber down to the finest they have.You'll need this to work the paint stripper both into the wood and then out of the wood and then to finish the wood.You need that stock spotless and as smooth as possible.And don't forget some eye protection and rubber gloves.Paint stripper in the eye is no joke.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Get plenty of various grades of wire wool too while you are there.From pan scrubber down to the finest they have.You'll need this to work the paint stripper both into the wood and then out of the wood and then to finish the wood.You need that stock spotless and as smooth as possible.And don't forget some eye protection and rubber gloves.Paint stripper in the eye is no joke.

Lovely thanks for all the tips, ill source all the stuff i need the weekend, and will update you on how i get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Most paint strippers won't strip paint, thanks to good old nanny-statery. You can buy the stuff that works in chadwicks or other professional suppliers, not diy chains.

• Advertisement

gunny123 wrote: »
    Most paint strippers won't strip paint, thanks to good old nanny-statery. You can buy the stuff that works in chadwicks or other professional suppliers, not diy chains.

Just talking to my brother who works in an arro branch and he tells me the they stopped selling nitromorse a few years ago as the makers changed the formula and stopped using whatever chemical it was that made nitromorse so good.

He tells me now that people who re-spray kitchen and wardrobe doors are buying Krud Kutter Gloss-Off to remove varnish and gloss finishes.

http://krudkutter.ie/product/gloss-off/

I presume this will do to?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Im in the process of re-doing an Anschutz stock at the mo, have it stripped used varnish remover couple of coats and sanded down, going to buy some tru oil at the weekend if available locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

They removed a chemical called dcm, dicloromethane. It is a nasty stuff, but it works. You can buy bottles of it off ebay.

I bought a paint stripper in woodies and it was simply useless, wouldn't strip the make-up off your mot.

Have a look at danish oil, you can get that anywhere and its a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If your in Dublin , Conservation Technology on Davitt rd sell several types of professional paint stripper that all work, including the stuff with dicloramethane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you have any kind of machine like a lathe, a drill press or just an electric drill then buy a 3M Paint and Varnish stripper wheel. Its fantastic for getting off the toughest varnish and won't leave scratch marks. A bit of hand sanding and your favourite gunstock oil after that finishes the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement