Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On bib shorts then...

Options
  • 24-07-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

I've only ever defaulted to club shorts but I'd like to try something else for a change. I'm a small bit reluctant to buy online though cos size and fitment and style varies so considerably.
    One thing I've noticed about some of the very upmarket shorts is that they are extremely unforgiving in the ...Ned Kelly area.

In all shorts/bibs I've ever had, if I can explain myself adroitly, there is an element of body shaping around the midriff shall we say. Think QVC daytime special offers or Marks and Spencers underwear department. The lycra continues upwards in the front from the waist up for several inches in a U shape from the straps. This has a charitable, and a not unwelcome, containment effect in terms of any unfortunate midsection flaccidity :o. - I think I'm being more than clear.

By comparison, I tried on BMC gear in cyclesuperstore and apart from the straps, at the front the lycra stops at the waistband. That's your lot. So whatever about standing up in front of a mirror, when you're in a bike position there is nothing to fight the inevitable gravitational effects. You'd want a right washboard to carry the ensemble off, and my test pair went immediately back on the hanger and onto the rack. -From pictures on the web, assos gear seems to be similarly demanding of hard-pressed MAMILs.

It can be hard to tell from pics though, how much material is placed to the front. Is there a term for higher-riding shorts like that? Do they call it an insulation panel or an aero extension or is it a style of shorts or what?

I'd like to order some shorts from Galibier and then I could always try and send back if they didn't suit. They do seem very well priced, which is a small bit unnerving too. 70 quid stuff usually doesn't compare well with 150 quid stuff. There's usually a quality differential. So if Galibier really are super-fantastic then the other companies are completely taking the p1ss and I've been vastly overpaying for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've only ever defaulted to club shorts but I'd like to try something else for a change. I'm a small bit reluctant to buy online though cos size and fitment and style varies so considerably.
    One thing I've noticed about some of the very upmarket shorts is that they are extremely unforgiving in the ...Ned Kelly area.

In all shorts/bibs I've ever had, if I can explain myself adroitly, there is an element of body shaping around the midriff shall we say. Think QVC daytime special offers or Marks and Spencers underwear department. The lycra continues upwards in the front from the waist up for several inches in a U shape from the straps. This has a charitable, and a not unwelcome, containment effect in terms of any unfortunate midsection flaccidity :o. - I think I'm being more than clear.

By comparison, I tried on BMC gear in cyclesuperstore and apart from the straps, at the front the lycra stops at the waistband. That's your lot. So whatever about standing up in front of a mirror, when you're in a bike position there is nothing to fight the inevitable gravitational effects. You'd want a right washboard to carry the ensemble off, and my test pair went immediately back on the hanger and onto the rack. -From pictures on the web, assos gear seems to be similarly demanding of hard-pressed MAMILs.

It can be hard to tell from pics though, how much material is placed to the front. Is there a term for higher-riding shorts like that? Do they call it an insulation panel or an aero extension or is it a style of shorts or what?

I'd like to order some shorts from Galibier and then I could always try and send back if they didn't suit. They do seem very well priced, which is a small bit unnerving too. 70 quid stuff usually doesn't compare well with 150 quid stuff. There's usually a quality differential. So if Galibier really are super-fantastic then the other companies are completely taking the p1ss and I've been vastly overpaying for years.
    It’s okay. I understand. Brilliant post. Galibier stuff that I had did ride up a bit over the mid riff providing the required effect. However toilet breaks can be a challenge. Also prendas stuff (Santini) also flattered mamils
    If galibier is your next port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

On first reading I thought Ned Kelly was a euphemism for one’s Johnson.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wear Castelli free aero bib shorts. They are friends to the Ned Kelly.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Zen0 wrote: »
    On first reading I thought Ned Kelly was a euphemism for one’s Johnson.

:D No. Ned Kelly and John Thomas, while bedfellows are.... quite different personalities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ah lads have we really gotten to this stage! Sport your ned kelly with pride as you burn fellow elite looking cyclists on the flats!

Or just buy spanx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought a pair of northwave bib shorts in humphries; the sizing is fine, but at times it feels like wearing a pair of cheescutter wires. i got used to them after a couple of rides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fat bloke wrote:
    Not really getting the whole Ned Kelly crap, but I've worn the galibier energie elite over 200km and they've been fine. They're the most I've spent on shorts but I've put weekly 100km plus (as well as the sportives to 200km) and the galibier mistral bibs are my winter go to, and I haven't felt the need to invest more.

No issues with comfort breaks in those two options or the peloton light weight shorts I have from them, although I think some of the reviews for other options mention a high waist line.

I've been happy with the mistral jacket and mistral lite, and various gloves and mitts I've got from them. Maybe there's better out there for more money, but I'm happy with the value for money I feel I get from Galibier...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

My club shorts are Sportful and they're my favourites

They are Sportful BodyFit Pro LTD Bib Shorts - used for racing

I've got:

Galibier ÉNERGIE ELITE II- they're comfy but straps don't sit right
    Castelli Endurance - lovely but more suitable to long rides as there's quite a bit of padding
    Santini MAGO - Very comfy and fit perfectly

Fitting isn't an exact science, measure yourself, read reviews and go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It sounds like you are looking for some kind of corset. You could just lay off the pies.

(I am throwing stones from within a very similar glasshouse)

Lumen wrote: »
    You could just lay off the pies.

latest?cb=20100610202803

But they're so sweet and tasty!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Have you tried tilting your saddle down a squidge to relieve the meat and two veg?

BTW no bib shorts in the world would stop my belly from resting on the crossbar. Don't care thou, I still feel aero and go like the clappers downhill.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Have you tried tilting your saddle down a squidge to relieve the meat and two veg?

BTW no bib shorts in the world would stop my belly from resting on the crossbar. Don't care thou, I still feel aero and go like the clappers downhill.

Ah no its nothing to do with saddle height. I'd consider myself pretty trim but side-profile, on the drops, and lycra clad - that's as harsh an aesthetic environment as it's possible to create for a middle aged man in fairness. So, even out of courtesy and common sense, you might expect some customer consideration from bib-shorts manufacturers.

So, even out of courtesy and common sense, you might expect some customer consideration from bib-shorts manufacturers.
    Doesn't a high waist line on bibs makes natural breaks more of an issue? I think you need a good tight fitting base layer rather than relying on the bib shorts to be honest!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Doesn't a high waist line on bibs makes natural breaks more of an issue? I think you need a good tight fitting base layer rather than relying on the bib shorts to be honest!

There's an element of contorting involved alright but I wouldn't consider it an issue,and it's too hot for base layers.
    I'm surprised I'm in the minority in this, I've three generations of club shorts and they all have the courtesy gut retainer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've a pair of Santini bibs, the front is considerably higher than the other couple I have.

Seven Worlds will Collide

There's an element of contorting involved alright but I wouldn't consider it an issue,and it's too hot for base layers.
    The right baselayer will actually help with cooling, rather than hinder it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorneliusJames

The Rivelo bibs have a higher frontate also!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wasn't sure where to put this but anyone had issue with Galibier Energie ii shorts? Had to return a new pair for repair after 1 month due to the lycra wearing through to the pad on both sides.

Galibier are adamant that it's abrasion causing it but none of my other shirts, Verge or previous Galibier wore away in same places.

Advertisement