Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Health Insurance Cover Whilst Travelling

• 24-07-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

My current policy is up for renewal at the end of August. I currently have a good level of cover - semi private room in a private hospital and good day to day expense cover. I am in my late 20s, healthy, very active, with no medical issues.

Over the following 12 months (from end of August) I hope to spend between 6 and 10 months abroad travelling (I will be purchasing travel insurance) When i return I'm likely to be changing career, possibly returning to college, but probably earning a lot less than currently.. i.e. I doubt I could afford to continue my current level of cover.

I'm looking for advice on whether I should:

1. renew my current cover, paying monthly whilst i can afford it and cancel if i need to
    2. cancel the current cover and resume when i return and am sure of my circumstances
    3. Drop to a much lower level of cover until I am sure of my circumstances (I have asked to drop the day to day cover from my current plan but the reduction is insignificant)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

If you are not going to be resident in Ireland you may not be able to renew your cover. You'd need to be resident, or intending on being resident, at least 6 months in your policy year to be eligible for health insurance. You should check your provider's residency rules.

On point 1: if you cancel mid year you may be subject to a mid term cancellation fee; it could also result in if the insurance company come aware you are non resident that your cancellation would have to be backdated and would have a break in cover if over 13 weeks or more.

2: your insurance provider should tell you that if you cancel at renewal you'll have 13 weeks to return to health insurance before you have a break in cover, if more than 13 weeks you'll have to re-serve initial waiting periods again.

3: if you drop your cover to a low level, when you upgrade in the future, you'll serve upgrade waiting periods of 2 years for pre existing conditions.

That said, if you're continuing on with your health insurance but residing abroad, you won't get any benefit of it while abroad; in the event that you return and make a claim, it can be the case a claim could be declined if it is found that you were non resident.

You probably should look at something like VHI International that covers health while you are abroad, which may be recognised for the purpose of waiting periods by health insurance providers.

You should ring your health insurance company and ask about the different options if you are thinking of travelling long term, or working abroad, if that is the case, and about residency.

Advertisement