Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you drink a beer or a glass of wine at dinner and drive home afterwards?

• 24-07-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Been wondering about this one.

In Germany,The Netherlands and Belgium it really common people will have 1 small beer, a glass of Wine or a large Radler (Shandy) when out and then drive home afterwards.

However in many Eastern EU Countries it seems it's not common at all since the penalties are so heavy (5000 złoty fine for between 0.2 and 0.5 and Jail time over 0.5) in Poland for example.

Czech Republic has zero tolerance.

I myself don't really like the fizzy drink options, not a big tea fan and hate paying for water so I'd usually go for a beer with dinner if its outside on a hot day or a glass of wine if its a good steak.

So what do you think ?
    Should we have zero tolerance or is it ok to have a beer or a glass of wine and then drive home afterwards?

Would you have a glass of wine or 1 beer and drive home afterwards 333 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 333 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Glass of beer or wine, yep.
    Only along with a dinner and I’d be having coffee afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

It's probably a cultural thing.
    Western Europe in general doesn't have the same drinking culture as as Eastern Europe.

The Poles and Czech love their hard liquor, and in volume, so probably tend to SMASH the drink driving limit as opposed to the countries, like Germany,The Netherlands and Belgium where a pint is the preferred drink.

I would have ONE pint or ONE glass of wine with food and drive home.

Wasn't a zero tolerance policy introduced here recently?

Wasn't a zero tolerance policy introduced here recently?

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

I don't bother anymore. If I want to drink I'll get a taxi or walk to a local restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No I wouldn't. If I'm driving I stick to coke or orange when I'm out. I would like to see a zero tolerance towards drink driving in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I would. I'm happy to accept a certain level of risk on our roads and that includes people having a coffee while driving, changing radio stations, driving when a little tired or driving with a small amount of alcohol in their system. Getting straight into a car after a pint or a large glass of wine would be questionable, but I don't mind someone having a small drink with their meal, or a large one if they wait a while to get behind the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nope.

And anyone who doesn't realise that one pint or glass of beer impairs driving should have their license taken off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope. I'd get the same thrill from one alcoholic drink as I would from a soft drink so don't see the point in the just having the one if driving. I'll either go t total or leave the car at home and enjoy a few beers. I also need my car for work so wouldn't risk being put off the road for the sake of having one silly drink.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't even think about it at all if I'm going to be driving.

Nope.

And anyone who doesn't realise that one pint or glass of beer impairs driving should have their license taken off them.

We should take license of people who are not breaking the law ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would have 1 ( and 1 only) glass of wine with food. I think we have gone OTT on "Road Safety" in this country and common sense no longer prevails.

"If cutting drink driving makes things a bit safer, cutting drinking completely will eradicate it, if cutting speeding makes the roads safer, bringing it down completely will eradicate it" - it wont.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nope. I'd get the same thrill from one alcoholic drink as I would from a soft drink so don't see the point in the just having the one if driving.

See, the thing is, I dont drink wine to get a thrill, I drink it because it is part of the meal and compliments my food. Not to get pissed !

_Brian wrote: »
    We should take license of people who are not breaking the law ??

Na, just the ones that don't realise that the drink affects their judgement. If it doesn't, they're either useless at drinking or useless at driving, and I'd bet on the second every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nope. I'd get the same thrill from one alcoholic drink as I would from a soft drink so don't see the point in the just having the one if driving. I'll either go t total or leave the car at home and enjoy a few beers. I also need my car for work so wouldn't risk being put off the road for the sake of having one silly drink.

I went to a bbq at the weekend and had a cold beer with the meal. It was lovely. I wouldn't describe it as a thrill! Similarly, a glass of cab sav with a roast beef sunday dinner is delicious - really enhances the meal. Soft drinks can be lovely, but they're not as good. And I don't find any of these drinks thrilling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

No I wouldn't. If I'm driving I stick to coke or orange when I'm out. I would like to see a zero tolerance towards drink driving in Ireland.

I don't know about you but if I drink 500ml of Cola about an hour later I feel really sleepy as I get a sugar crash.

So I'd drink carbonated water before Coke, never had a good experience on long drives, tiredness can sneak up on you pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Nope.

Question, you never ever use your mobile when driving? You never ever change radio stations when driving? You never ever have a coffee/tea behind the wheel? You never reach for a tissue behind the wheel?

If the number of people using their mobile behind the wheel would be compared to the number of people driving when having had one glass in a restaurant during a meal, the mobile phone users would definitely win big, big time. It is truly disgusting and very selfish behaviour. Out of every 10 drivers I come across, and I commute heavily every day, 4 are on their phones!!! Mostly the ones driving vans for a company, who seem to think it is very appropriate to enlarge their office space to their vans!

One of those assholes left my husband disabled in a road traffic accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RobAMerc wrote: »
    See, the thing is, I dont drink wine to get a thrill, I drink it because it is part of the meal and compliments my food. Not to get pissed !

You don't have to be pissed to be over the legal limit. If someone wants a glass of wine good for them and if I want a drink I won't be driving.

Na, just the ones that don't realise that the drink affects their judgement. If it doesn't, they're either useless at drinking or useless at driving, and I'd bet on the second every time.

I think having 1 drink with a meal, knowing you've had a drink and behaving accordingly is far less dangerous than driving perfectly sober and paying little or no attention to what you are doing.

• Advertisement

Question, you never ever use your mobile when driving? You never ever change radio stations when driving? You never ever have a coffee/tea behind the wheel? You never reach for a tissue behind the wheel?

If the number of people using their mobile behind the wheel would be compared to the number of people driving when having had one glass in a restaurant during a meal, the mobile phone users would definitely win big, big time. It is truly disgusting and very selfish behaviour. Out of every 10 drivers I come across, and I commute heavily every day, 4 are on their phones!!! Mostly the ones driving vans for a company, who seem to think it is very appropriate to enlarge their office space to their vans!

Na, I don't do any of those things, you're asking the wrong person about who should be allowed on the roads in fairness, I'd have 90% taken off them.

Driving is a privilege a lot don't deserve, living is a right a lot don't posess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

There should be much harsher penalties for people using phones. I drove a bike for years before I got a car and the amount of times car drivers on phones nearly took me out was insane. Nobody needs your text that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Na, I don't do any of those things, you're asking the wrong person about who should be allowed on the roads in fairness, I'd have 90% taken off them.

Driving is a privilege a lot don't deserve, living is a right a lot don't posess.

I truly hope I asked the wrong person, and if so, my apologies, you are a saint.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think having 1 drink with a meal, knowing you've had a drink and behaving accordingly is far less dangerous than driving perfectly sober and paying little or no attention to what you are doing.

I see both as compromised driving behaviours and I'd rather not share the road with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If you have 1 pint (2 units) with your meal , and you spend an hour eating.
    Then 1 unit is processed by your body by the end of the meal.

So if you jump into the car , and drive, you'll pass any roadside test, and even if you were breathalyzed at the station, that would take another 30 min at best, followed by a 15% reduction (machine margin of error).

End result = 0 alcohol

Edit* for those that will question the 15% margin of error.

It's just what the machine does.

Look at any evidensier print out on garda Twitter
    There'll be 2 readings, those two readings are averaged, then reduced by 15%, and then it gives the final figure.

I see both as compromised driving behaviours and I'd rather not share the road with either.

So, your saying you’ve never broken your concentration when driving “ever”. Because your setting the bar very high for the rest of us mere mortals. I never go out on the road with the intention of being distracted but life happens and humans deal with that the best they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I do enjoy a nice pint of local ale on the odd occasion we get out for a bit of grub

So, your saying you’ve never broken your concentration when driving “ever”. Because your setting the bar very high for the rest of us mere mortals. I never go out on the road with the intention of being distracted but life happens and humans deal with that the best they can.

I'm saying that if you're going out on the road without the intention of giving your utmost attention you shouldn't be on the road. Of course there will be distractions, of course there will be mistakes, but if you're not 100% equipped to deal with them you're a danger to yourself, to me, and to everybody else.

I'm saying that if you're going out on the road with the intention of giving your utmost attention you shouldn't be on the road. .

Im thinking there’s a typo in there somewhere.

• Advertisement

Im thinking there’s a typo in there somewhere.

Cheers!

Good job I'm not driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If I'm driving, or there's a possibility I'll be driving later on, I just don't drink. I just find it easier to stay off it than be wondering if I'm OK to legally drive, even though I might feel perfectly fine to dive myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Glass of beer or wine, yep.
    Only along with a dinner and I’d be having coffee afterwards.

This is just a general comment, not directed at all at you (you're only talking about a glass with a meal, so your chances over being over the limit are very low), but coffee doesn't do anything to lower your intoxication or the amount of alcohol detectable in your blood. Sure, you may feel less tired, but that's only a part of the equation (it does nothing for the cognitive impairment that comes with intoxication), and not a factor if you're breathalysed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

In Kerry people have elected a guy who thinks eating the meal might have as much effect on your driving as drinking the glass of wine or pint of beer.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/dont-eat-and-drive-danny-healyrae-compares-eating-a-big-meal-to-drinkdriving-35725513.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Not to say there isn't inherent risk in having one drink and then driving, but as mentioned above, mobile phone usage, tiredness etc. are as much an impairment (if not more) to safe driving.

What would happen if there were checkpoints testing for adequate alertness, and a young parent on their way to work following a rough night with a sick child gets pulled?

I'm lucky in that my employer allows WFH and I've often made the call to do so after such nights where the entire house hasn't got much sleep. Others aren't so fortunate as to have the option.

Where do we draw the line as far as criminalising people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I would and I do regularly.
    Having one pint of Guinness doesn't put me over 50mg limit (I'm 16 stone) so I'm more than happy to be able to have one and still drive back home.

That's thing which I only started doing in Ireland, as in Poland I wasn't able, as even one pint would put me above strict 20mg limit there.

• Advertisement

It's funny as well, what we've seen in paper headlines saying: "Half a pint will get you a driving ban now".
    I would really like to see how tiny and thin must be a person who after drinking half a pint of beer be over 50mg limit.
    Also articles were very misleading, as nothing changed regards the law about drink driving and limits.
    Only those caught being over the limit in range between 50mg and 80mg for the first time were supposed to get fine and penalty points while now it's a ban anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I think if that zero tolerance thing comes in that there will be more people driving at night.

We all know its the mornings the gardai are out to shoot fish in a barrel.

You really do have to feel bad for people who try their best and do everything right the night before (taxi, food etc) and get caught the next morning.

Whatever about people living in a town with adequate public transport but what about the people in rural areas, are they just supposed to give up having a social life?

Really there should be some sort of road side test for the driver's ability to be functional rather than a breathalyzer. Sure they may have alcohol on their breath but they may not be drunk. Their reaction times may be negatively affected but even then they could still potentially have better reactions than a sober person.

Everyone is different and a blanket breathalyzer limit could easily put someone sober over the limit despite their current sobriety level.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Really there should be some sort of road side test for the driver's ability to be functional rather than a breathalyzer. Sure they may have alcohol on their breath but they may not be drunk. Their reaction times may be negatively affected but even then they could still potentially have better reactions than a sober person.

Everyone is different and a blanket breathalyzer limit could easily put someone sober over the limit despite their current sobriety level.

I fully disagree with that.
    Alcohol concentration in your blood is perfect measure.
    No roadside test to prove you're functional can be more accurate than blood concentration limit (or equivalent breath or urine sample).

IMO 50mg alcohol per 100ml blood limit is very reasonable.
    If someone is above that in the morning, then definitely they shouldn't be driving and if caught should be prosecuted.

I'm not sure though if removing the fine and points for first offence when within 80mg was a good move, but whatever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not anymore. There was a time however....

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

If driving home, I used to tell myself one or two was ok with food. But to be honest I find as I get a little older it has more of an affect on me (tired more than pissed) so I don’t drive with any alcohol taken now.

Non alcoholic beers are a decent alternative if I feel like a beer with a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...Non alcoholic beers are a decent alternative if I feel like a beer with a meal.

N/a Erdinger is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

No..I'm one of those people who knows even after one glass of wine that I'm after alcohol as it seems to kick in straight away so I definitely wouldn't drive,also I hate just having one so I prefer to just pay for a taxi and enjoy a few hours out even if it's just for a meal or stick to water if I have to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

yeah id have a drink with a meal and drive no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes. I have often had a bottle of beer while watching a match and then gone for food and home. If I wanted the second bottle Mrs Seafields would come in and collect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Had a 350ml bottle of beer with lunch today, could have probably drank a keg and still be fine to drive biggest burger I've ever been served.
    Thumbs up to the Hungry Moose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

No I wouldn't as even one drink affects me but then I'm female. It's just better to stick to Lucozade or water.

I work shifts and I can tell you straight away it's vastly more dangerous driving home 72 Kms after each and every night shift than having a few beers, guaranteed !

The whole drink driving thing has gone out of control.

Driving while intoxicated is dangerous, driving with 2 pints is far less dangerous than driving after a night shift or someone stuck at 60 Km/h in the over-taking lane of a motorway texting.

No common sense any more, people will abuse this of course but the same with the law makers, they just want to pain a picture that everyone who has a drink or two then drives is bad and should be locked up.

What if the person crashed and killed someone driving home after 2 pints ? to be honest that's far more likely to happen if someone is texting while driving.

There's no simple answer, of course common sense doesn't prevaia in our Nanny state, we're treated like Children and can't even buy alcohol after 10 PM ffs like living with your Parents again, you can't do this, you can't do that

Ireland is a Nanny state, can't even raise our Children without state interfering and telling us what we should do and not do, F off and let me do what I want.

1984 is heading that way rapidly and everyone is turning a blind eye !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes, more alcohol = more dangerous. But it's not quite as simple as that.

One pint, in laboratory conditions may have an effect on reaction times. Out on the road though, any effect would be utterly lost in the noise and in my opinion has almost zero effect on driving competany.

It could even be argued that for low levels of alcohol, the normal complacency the driver has behind the wheel is lessened. Doubt you'll get a politician outside Kerry to argue that however.

Radio, phone handsfree, tiredness, sun in your eyes, rain, someone tailgating, a child in the back, traffic, road conditions, car conditions all affect your driving whether your like it or not. A minimal level of alcohol is undetectable amongst the other factors.

It's interesting that the FAA set the level for pilots responsible for hundreds of lives at 0.04%, while a professional driver here is half that. I wonder who did more research, the FAA or the RSA?

http://www.airspacedoc.com/alcohol-the-pilot-and-the-faa/

I've no issues with laws, if they're based off facts and data, and not made up at the whim of a politician, as many of ours are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Nothing alcoholic if I'm driving, I don't know what the limits are in practical terms and it affects different people to different degrees. I need my transport so I won't risk losing my licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why are we never told what are the most dangerous cars on the road. We've the safest cars taxed out of most people's budgets yet a Punto with a 0 Ncap rating is cheap as chips. Tax the Punto and Kia rio to oblivion and give incentives to buy Volvo's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement