Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike privately in the UK - deposit?

• 24-07-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

OK I know lots will say don't do it ..
    But I've done it before and debating doing it again..
    But...
    Wondering whats best way to pay a deposit to get bike held so I can get a flight over in few days?
    Dont really want to do the bank transfer thing (might sound like I'm a Nigerian looking for chaps bank details :))
    Options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

How did you do it previously?
    PayPal, interbank or heaven forfend western union are options that come to mind. I don't get the problem with giving bank details we used do it every time we handed someone a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ask the seller what way he wants to receive the deposit then make your judgement? He might not want to use Paypal/Western Union etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Did it by PayPal last time, paid the remainder in cash as seller was wary of fake drafts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hairyslug wrote: »
    Did it by PayPal last time, paid the remainder in cash as seller was wary of fake drafts

Ask for their Iban and bic. You are sending them money so they will have to except the tiny risk that you can clone them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

mopi wrote: »
    How did you do it previously?
    PayPal, interbank or heaven forfend western union are options that come to mind. I don't get the problem with giving bank details we used do it every time we handed someone a cheque.

Giving the buyer my bank details doesn't concern me unduly but transmitting it by unencrypted email does.

[EDIT] Giving the buyer.. not "the seller"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Giving the seller my bank details doesn't concern me unduly but transmitting it by unencrypted email does.

You don't send the seller your details. There is very little that can be done with an Iban and BIC if the hackers happen to hit your email out of the billions sent every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Can you not just ring him..and do it over the phone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I send my last 3 UK purchases via bank transfer .

If you've don't all your checks there should be no problems if there are flags then don't.

Simple as that. At this stage I think I'm pretty savvy on distinguishing a geezer from an honest seller.

This skill is not in everyone so my advice comes with a warning. Buy with your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

hairyslug wrote: »

Did the same a few times for the very same reasons. Bought a few low value bikes and an expensive car over a few years. Due diligence needed on the buyer's part - check VIN and ID of seller and happy times. Seller was wary of fake bank draft so wanted cash but likewise was happy to supply VIN and reg of the car in advance.
    Edit: Also spoke to him (car seller - £6k) on the phone before doing anything and knew he was genuine.

Just ask him for his bank details and transfer it to him, worth saying though that there is no way to recover the money once you legitimately transfer it to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 st0nk

Is difficult to bring the motorbike to the country? Did you need to pay a lot in taxes, like cars?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You need to pay VRT yes. Not difficult at all.

But how much would be for a 150cc bike, more or less in the range of £800 £1200, any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

st0nk wrote: »
    But how much would be for a 150cc bike, more or less in the range of £800 £1200, any idea?

brand new 150cc bike is 300 vrt according to the calculator https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

st0nk wrote: »

You can look it up online, depends on age and cc:
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

colm_c wrote: »
    You can look it up online, depends on age and cc:
    https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

Cool Thanks

Advertisement