Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing one stereo for another

• 24-07-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I tried replacing it a few weeks back but ran into a problem.

There both aftermarket stereos so the wiring harness is already there. When i remove the cd player and power cable , then remove the ariel there's still a thin pink cable attached to the back of the stereo which stops me from removing it.

Ive never seen this before in any othet car, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not that I'm going to be any help either way, but it would probably be a good idea to say what car it is, and what models the two stereos are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Can you not just unplug the wire?

And if the new unit doesn't have a receptacle for that wire then it doesn't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Its a 2004 audi a4

The stereo im replacing is an old jvc unit and im putting in a sony

Can you not just unplug the wire?

And if the new unit doesn't have a receptacle for that wire then it doesn't need it.

Im almost sure the wire is soldered on somewhere, if so is it ok to just snip it and tape it up? Il have another look when im home shortly and get a picture up cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If I were you I would snip it off as close to the old unit as possible and then tape it up good. Then see how the new unit functions. Hopefully it'll work fine.

If the old unit must come out and there is no plug/connector on the pink wire then it'll have to be cut one way or the other.

• Advertisement

If I were you I would snip it off as close to the old unit as possible and then tape it up good. Then see how the new unit functions. Hopefully it'll work fine.

If the old unit must come out and there is no plug/connector on the pink wire then it'll have to be cut one way or the other.

Perfect man cheers. Il have another look when im home , hopefully the new stereo will still work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Do you have a handsfree installed?

Quite possible it could be the mute line if so.

Ok i was wrong, the pink wire is actually attached into the wire that goes with the stereo?

Should i snip it ? Also there anotger connection just hangin around in there. Im almost sure its the connection for the original radio tho ?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Ok i was wrong, the pink wire is actually attached into the wire that goes with the stereo?

Should i snip it ? Also there anotger connection just hangin around in there. Im almost sure its the connection for the original radio tho ?

Could you upload a picture?

Picture attached of pibk cable

• Advertisement

And picture of the spare connection in there. Original radio ?

I snipped it anyway and now ive no power with new stereo, i tried 2 different ones.

Heres a picture of what im left with

I'd say it was a mute cable for a handsfree. Where does the pink trace back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

It's a switched live as your original radio used can bus to turn on.
    Join it to the red wire on your new radio

It's a switched live as your original radio used can bus to turn on.
    Join it to the red wire on your new radio

That makes sense actually , both my new radios have a red wire going to nothing. Thanks for the help

Advertisement